Poodle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
Happy, Apricot Standard Superstar
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy has been licking her front paws over the past four or five days - mostly between her toes and pads. This licking occurs when she's chilling on the couch or on our bed. Otherwise, she functions normally throughout the day. We've made no changes to her diet, so I believe this may be environmental rather than food related. As some of you know, we live in a rural area that's mostly agricultural. I detected a fertilizer like odor emanating from the surrounding farmlands just before the licking started. I do my best to keep Happy on the road and wipe her paws with baby wipes (doggy type) when we return from our walks. I found an older post where a member's Poodle suffered from a fungal/bacterial infection that caused this behavior. I'm thinking this might be our problem. As of yesterday her condition is improving, but we plan to make a vet appointment just to be sure.

Anyway, here's my question: Does anyone have a suggestion for a short term remedy to bring Happy some relief? I'm guessing she's itchy because she seems to enjoy when I lightly massage her paws. Happy and I thank yuo in advance.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Benadryl tablets work great for us for mild itching.
Bobby has pretty bad fall allergies so it doesn’t work once the itching gets intense. Benadryl is pretty safe for dogs so it seems it wouldn’t hurt to try it. 😊 I’ve used it for both Joey and Bobby and we’ve never had a problem.

·
Registered
82 Posts
We had this problem with our last dog. After doing some research online, we tried using an epsom salt soak (if you google something like "itchy paws epsom salts," you'll will find a bunch of different "recipes" for this). It helped, although it was difficult to persuade her to stand quietly in the soak for very long. Later, we started using a product called Sentry Hot Spot Skin Remedy (known in our home as "blue goo") that worked very well, although we had to bring it in from the States. In her case, we though it was partly allergies, so we also sometimes gave her a half a Claritin, which her vet approved.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Benadryl tablets work great for us for mild itching.
Bobby has pretty bad fall allergies so it doesn’t work once the itching gets intense. Benadryl is pretty safe for dogs so it seems it wouldn’t hurt to try it. 😊 I’ve used it for both Joey and Bobby and we’ve never had a problem.
I believe we have some Benadryl in the house. We'll definitely give it a try. Thank you.

We had this problem with our last dog. After doing some research online, we tried using an epsom salt soak (if you google something like "itchy paws epsom salts," you'll will find a bunch of different "recipes" for this). It helped, although it was difficult to persuade her to stand quietly in the soak for very long. Later, we started using a product called Sentry Hot Spot Skin Remedy (known in our home as "blue goo") that worked very well, although we had to bring it in from the States. In her case, we though it was partly allergies, so we also sometimes gave her a half a Claritin, which her vet approved.
Happy doesn't have any raw or hot spots yet. We'll try the soaking thing is Benadryl thing doesn't work. She's due for a bath too.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No solution to treat but for prevention, you could male her dip every paw into a bucket of fresh water before going back into the house. Then wipe between the toes to dry them.
I think you're on to something here. We have a paw washer we use for muddy feet. It's about the size of a large soup can with an insert consisting of many rubber fingers. I just need to remember to fill it with clean water and stage it before every walk. Thanks

·
Administrator
14,844 Posts
Could the wipes be irritating her? Or maybe she just likes the taste?

When Gracie had seasonal allergies, she would do a lot of paw licking, but she was also very obviously itchy. Paw licking on its own seems to me more of a behavioural thing, like self-soothing for anxiety or just plain boredom. I believe it can also indicate GI issues, or pain somewhere else in the body.

My immediate solution would be to stop using the wipes and stick to plain water to see if that helps.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Could the wipes be irritating her? Or maybe she just likes the taste?

When Gracie had seasonal allergies, she would do a lot of paw licking, but she was also very obviously itchy. Paw licking on its own seems to me more of a behavioural thing, like self-soothing for anxiety or just plain boredom. I believe it can also indicate GI issues, or pain somewhere else in the body.

My immediate solution would be to stop using the wipes and stick to plain water to see if that helps.
Since this kind of came out of nowhere, and we've been using the same wipes since we left the US, I really think it's something in the environment. She does seem itchy because, as I mentioned above, she relaxes when I massage between her pads and toes. Everything else is good. No signed of stress, pain or anxiety. We'll see how she is when I get home. If she's still licking I'll give her a Benadryl and break out the paw washer. Thank you for sharing your experiences.

·
Administrator
14,844 Posts
Since this kind of came out of nowhere, and we've been using the same wipes since we left the US, I really think it's something in the environment. She does seem itchy because, as I mentioned above, she relaxes when I massage between her pads and toes. Everything else is good. No signed of stress, pain or anxiety. We'll see how she is when I get home. If she's still licking I'll give her a Benadryl and break out the paw washer. Thank you for sharing your experiences.
Yeah, if these wipes aren’t a new thing, I would be less inclined to consider them the culprit.

It could be agricultural irritants, like you mentioned, or perhaps new allergens in your new environment. Whatever it is, I hope the paw washer does the trick!

·
Administrator
14,844 Posts
Oh! I just thought of another trigger for Gracie’s paw irritation: Floor cleaner.

We moved into a new home and the floor installers recommended we use a specific brand. One time was all it took to realize it was a big nope for Gracie’s little paws. We now stick with water and a bit of Dr. Bronner’s.

Benadryl helped with her seasonal allergies, but made her very sleepy.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh! I just thought of another trigger for Gracie’s paw irritation: Floor cleaner.

We moved into a new home and the floor installers recommended we use a specific brand. One time was all it took to realize it was a big nope for Gracie’s little paws. We now stick with water and a bit of Dr. Bronner’s.

Benadryl helped with her seasonal allergies, but made her very sleepy.
I'll ask my wife if she's used anything new on the floors.

·
Registered
poodle
112 Posts
One of our dogs used to chew her feet a lot , but we reckoned it was a food allergy , prob wheat , but it became a habit as well . There is over here some nasty little mite , for the life of me cannot remember it’s name , which appears mostly in the summer and causes itches .
There is also a spray which we had for her , a paw spray for those itchy feet , neither dog we have now has feet problems , unless grooming or nail clipping , then they are oh so ticklish !
We walked across a field the other day to find it had been sprayed with roundup, oh wonderful , so both dogs had a thoroughly good leg wash . It’s not unusual for us to stand dogs legs up to the belly in warm water after walks here, heavy clay soil , it’s super sticky in wet times .
I hope you get this sorted , but wipes wouldn’t work on my two !

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I wanted to report much reduced licking. Hopefully this is resolving itself, so I'm going to monitor for 24hour before following through with the vet. In the meantime, I'll concentrate on keeping her out of suspect areas and keeping her feet clean.

Paw washer:
Plant Ingredient Terrestrial plant Rectangle Cuisine

·
Registered
poodle
112 Posts
We use a bucket , have seen those paw washer things , but having plenty of spare buckets ….plus we can do both the front legs at once , then the back legs ….and dunk ! Might give them another look even so , first came across them at a dog training class

1 - 20 of 39 Posts