Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the risk of jinxing myself ....THANK YOU.

Ruby's elevated water dish was picked up today...She has been using it all day and my floor is still dry! Impressive...shocking actually. I bought a rubbermaid type thingy with 2 bowls in it, those things are more expenisive than dishes made from gold would be lol. But as I said so far it's worked. I wouldn't have even thought of raising the water. Thank you.

·
Registered
130 Posts
OK, I don't wanna rain on anyone's parade, but I keep running across info that says raised bowls can lead to the dreaded bloat...I've got Monroe's bowls on a little throw rug, seems to help.

·
Registered
151 Posts
mm i was always told raised bowls *reduced* bloat. they always recommend raised bowls for larger breeds that are more susceptible to bloat

·
Registered
130 Posts
It's definitely worth researching. The info I came across said that they used to be recommended but are now not. I know, it's hard to keep track...everybody's always got an opinion about everything...Sometimes it helps to investigate on one's own.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I was told by my vet not to use elevated dishes.
It is not natural for dogs to eat in that position and it has been shown that it increases the risk of bloat....contrary to the older belief.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
BREEDS MOST AT RISK FOR BLOAT

Great Dane
German Shepherd
King Shepherd
Shiloh Shepherd
Standard Poodle
St. Bernard
Boxer
Bernese Mountain Dog
Afghan
Alaskan Malamute
Great Pyrenees
Akita
Bloodhound
Irish Setter
Irish Wolfhound
Rottweiler
Golden Retriever
Labrador Retriever
Doberman
Newfoundland
Weimaraner

This is what I found looking up the issue, We have toys in any case that are not at risk for bloat, so an elevated dish is fine. If you have a standard, I would look into it more as KDW said just to make sure for yourself. This is where I found the info http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/articles/caninebloat.htm

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Hmmmm....and I have seen many raised systems for sale in quality places like Orvis and Cabelas. I wonder if they will disappear now that the research has changed. I always like the look of them but could never afford one. I'm glad I didn't get one now as we have a Golden and the spoos.

Isn't it amazing that in one decade the experts tout the good benefits of something and in the next they disprove their own theories. Makes one a little nervous.

As Katsdogworld says, one really has to do their own research, including the forum, but has to make their own decision on what they believe is best.

My bowls on are a good size, washable throw rug too. Billy is horrendous at drinking and then walking away while letting the water run out of the sides of his mouth!! :mad:

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I had an awful time with my doberman when she drank water. She would lap the water and some would splash out of her side lips and end up all over the floor around the dish. She would lap and out of the sides of her mouth would spurt water... it was crazy to watch..lol. I was constantly wiping up the floor multiple times a day. I got the idea of putting her water in a plastic bucket, like you would use for a mop bucket and, voila, no more water problems on the floor, anything that comes out of her mouth stays in the bucket. :) This was 5 years ago. ow, of course, my poodles use the same bucket, even Jester, he just puts his paws up on the lip..lol. The only problem I have is if one of them walks away with their lips still dripping (as spoospirit says Billy does..lol), but it is usually only a few dribbles as they walk away. Sure beats having my floor getting washed in dog slob water. :)

About the raised dishes, I had been tempted more than once over they years to get them as I though that they would be nice for the dogs but hated to spend the amount they cost, and I too also read that they now found that they were not recommended.and am glad I didn't end up getting them. BUT, I have large dogs not small ones.. well, except for Jester who is my first "little" dog.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I had an awful time with my doberman when she drank water. She would lap the water and some would splash out of her side lips and end up all over the floor around the dish. She would lap and out of the sides of her mouth would spurt water... it was crazy to watch..lol. I was constantly wiping up the floor multiple times a day. I got the idea of putting her water in a plastic bucket, like you would use for a mop bucket and, voila, no more water problems on the floor, anything that comes out of her mouth stays in the bucket. :) This was 5 years ago. ow, of course, my poodles use the same bucket, even Jester, he just puts his paws up on the lip..lol. The only problem I have is if one of them walks away with their lips still dripping (as spoospirit says Billy does..lol), but it is usually only a few dribbles as they walk away. Sure beats having my floor getting washed in dog slob water. :)

About the raised dishes, I had been tempted more than once over they years to get them as I though that they would be nice for the dogs but hated to spend the amount they cost, and I too also read that they now found that they were not recommended.and am glad I didn't end up getting them. BUT, I have large dogs not small ones.. well, except for Jester who is my first "little" dog.
LOL! Ya it is probably your spoo lol!!! I wish it would have only been a few dripples when Yanna did that, lol, it was like she would suck up the water until her whole mouth was full then walk away from the dish as it slowly leaked out! LMAO!!!! When you would say her name while it was happening, she would look at you like "what mom?" Like she was clueless that she had a water fall coming from her FACE!!!!! LMAO!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Roo is a small mini so I'm not worried about bloat really, and I keep gas-x on hand just in case.

So far she hasn't dug out the water, but she gets mouthful and I swear she holds its and spits it back out on the floor....which is a way smaller puddle compared to the digging. lol.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
LOL! Ya it is probably your spoo lol!!! I wish it would have only been a few dripples when Yanna did that, lol, it was like she would suck up the water until her whole mouth was full then walk away from the dish as it slowly leaked out! LMAO!!!! When you would say her name while it was happening, she would look at you like "what mom?" Like she was clueless that she had a water fall coming from her FACE!!!!! LMAO!!!!!!!!!
:rofl:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts