Poodle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Roxy has roundworms so we finally got into the vet yesterday and she was dewormed. She has had mushy poop since we got her and when I saw roundworms I was able to move her booked vaccine appointment up a few days but that was it. They were too busy. Anyways she was dosed yesterday for roundworms, hook worms and tapeworms and has runny diarrhea today and I caught her eating it when I went to grab a poop bag. After that she has had another 3 or 4 runny movements and each time wants to turn around and eat it. I was able to stop her though and pick it up but she went right back to the spot looking for it. What is this about?! Should I give her a supplement or vitamins to help reset her digestive system or does this happen while the worms are passing? I am giving her pumpkin with her kibble and I have to dose her again with another dewormer in two weeks time.

·
Premium Member
24,755 Posts
You must prevent her from eating worms and bowel contents since she could reinfect herself with some types of worms by eating passed eggs. I would keep her on leash to be sure to prevent her from getting to eat stool. Or have the poop bag at the ready and clean right away.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My yard is always kept clean and we pick up right after they go but why would she start this? I am wondering if I should buy her vitamins or probiotic?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I feed her free choice right now because she was panic eating and when I took her outside she would eat dirt and pebbles if her dish was empty. I've only had her two weeks and she came with fleas. My vet feels due to the urine stains on her white fur she was probably locked in a pen or crate and not taken to potty (explains her house breaking issues) and her eating issues are due to stress eating? I think you are right about the worms stealing her nutrients and being hungry, maybe this will pass. She has slept the last two nights straight through so I'm thinking she must be starting to feel a bit better.

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
I agree with Catherine, definitely keep her on a leash so you can control her (and her head) so she can’t eat her poop.

While toilet training, after she poops, take a step away from the poop to move Roxy away, then reward her for pooping. When she is pooping say ”go poop” (or whatever you want) then your marker (yes, a clicker ) then treat. You are teaching your puppy to poop on command. Giving a reward will encourage your puppy to poop outside AND to stop eating her poop. Hold her away with one hand on the leash ( or step on the leash) while you bend down to pick it up with the other.

Sounds like Roxy had a rough start in life, poor baby. She definitely has cropophagia and probably has been doing this for awhile. It may be caused by the worms and/or perhaps a dirty pen/crate area. It is common in puppies. The key to training is to potty train Roxy on a leash so she learns that eating poop is not something you routinely do when you pass stool. It may take a little time of careful potty training to break a habit she probably has been doing awhile.

Training “leave it” and “trade” will help too. Having her on a leash and watching her like a hawk will help eating dirt and pebbles. You can call and move her away and treat…. It can be part of “leave it”. Eating dirt and pebbles can be Pica, maybe she’s looking for missing nutrients or just a young normal puppy using it’s mouth to explore the world. Either way it can lead to harm and expensive surgery or death if a dog swallows inappropriate objects.

Hopefully with the treatment for worms, good nutrition and training will get Roxy over this hump. She may need more than one session of treatment

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think she is stopping because the worms have mostly passed through and she doesn't seem as driven to spin around and get at her stool. I think it was the worms she was trying to eat. She burped up some dead ones today too. Its so sad, hopefully by tomorrow they will be gone.

·
Super Moderator
12,067 Posts
This is all very upsetting. :( Have you let the breeder know what’s going on and asked for more information about her history?

I would absolutely be feeding a good probiotic and offering some fresh foods in addition to a high-quality kibble. But definitely consult with your vet.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh yeah I called the breeder to say she had fleas that I had treated and now she was passing roundworms and all she really said was I'm so sorry that she didn't see worm eggs when she was there, that she was treated for worms 4xs already plus a coccidia preventative but she'd mail me the 5th dose of strongid t or I could go to the feedstore and buy horse dewormer myself that she would help me figure out the dosage or I could just use DE in her food and that she was not paying my vet bill. I wasn't asking for anything Roxy was going to the vets anyways. I was concerned for the other puppies and thought she would want to know what was happening. She knew I had a booked vet appointment Tuesday but she hasn't called or texted me to ask how she is doing.
She was just at my vets Tuesday and given a dose of interceptor and I have another deworming dose of Strongid t on the 7th to give her then she goes back for her 3rd round of vaccines the end of December and another wellness check. Unless of course she has any more issues and I can't get this loose stool in check.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is all very upsetting. :( Have you let the breeder know what’s going on and asked for more information about her history?

I would absolutely be feeding a good probiotic and offering some fresh foods in addition to a high-quality kibble. But definitely consult with your vet.
Could you recommend a good probiotic?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you I will look for the fortiflora. The thought of her having a sore stomach bothers me so I'd like to fix that too. I feel bad for her and to be honest I'm a bit angry because I paid a lot of money for her to have urine stains, fleas and worms.

·
Super Moderator
12,067 Posts
I don’t know which breeder you purchased your puppy from, so I can’t comment on the quality of their breeding program. But it’s a sad fact that some of the least ethical breeders out there have some of the highest prices. I hope their adults are at least healthy, happy, and well cared for.

·
Premium Member
24,755 Posts
Their website is very sparse in terms of really useful information. The sire and dam of the current pups are described but not identified and therefore there is no way to check whether any health testing has been done and recorded with OFA or any other organization . This doesn't mean there hasn't been proper testing done, but if it has been done the breeding dogs should be able to be identified and results of testing should be easily confirmed. I also see that puppies are supposed to have been wormed so it is really hard to make sense of why your pup had such a bad case of worms. The other parasites (fleas and such) are problematic too. I agree with the suggestion of fortiflora and hope things continue to improve quickly.

Reactions: star

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Their name comes up on the ckc website where the parents are supposed to be registered but I agree with you about the health testing.... I know she was suppose to be wormed at 2,4,6,8 weeks plus a coccidia preventative given. That is written in the vet pamphlet I received to show her vaccine date. After my vet dewormed she has been passing dead worms. She burped these ones up yesterday and they look pretty big!

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts