Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night my african grey, Echo, bit my husband pretty hard. She is usually pretty gentle and mild, but she never really liked him. I think his feelings are hurt more than his hand. She chose me as her person early on, which is sad because she was a gift for him. But we knew there was a chance of that happening.

She also had a bad molt a few months ago that was really hard on her, so she started plucking, and now it's become habit. She only plucks her neck, but it's frustrating.

She's got a ton of toys and is on a pelleted diet.

Have any of you had a bird on prozac? I wonder if it would help. :/

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I am not a bird person but Parrots are cool to me. My teacher said usually parrots pluck because they are bored. She also said that most people only buy one bird. Parrots are social and in the wild live in flocks. ( my teacher was a zoo vet for years)

My mom wants a parrot some day but we probably would have to buy maybe 3 to make them happy or get a small flock of 5 lol. I know not all parrots will pluck just because they are alone but my teacher explained that is usually the reason.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hehe, Echo is NOT a fan of other birds, unfortunately. We've had to board her a few times for our trips to the UK to visit hubby's family, and she pretty much tried to beat the h*ll out of the other parrots. She even kicked the crap out of 'the bird in the mirror', so we had to take that away. lol

She's quite a character. She is extremely spoiled and always in the middle of the action. I really think she started plucking because of that bad molt, and it just became a habit, like nail biting. She also knows it upsets me, so if she's not getting her way she'll grab a feather and look at me as if to say 'Don't make me pluck this!' She's like having a two year old! With a bigger vocabulary.

The other issue with another bird is that she might bond to that bird and not like me anymore! :(

Maybe I should get her some more challenging toys. :/

She's been in a snit since we got Flip to be honest. She is jealous.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
No you can't put birds on pills like that. There are always reasons they pluck and it's hard to pinpoint what those reasons are. More than likely it's because she's upset or because she's not stimulated enough. People don't understand how much parrots need to be stimulated especially smart birds like the African Grey. I've done a lot of research on parrots so if you want to PM me I can give you links to behavior websites and things like that.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She is always in the middle of the action at home, she gets so much attention, it's ridiculous. She has a portable play stand that we drag around from room to room for her so she can be with us all the time.

The only thing that changed recently is the addition of Flip. But she started the plucking thing before then. One of the avian vets I know rather well suggested the liquid prozac for her, she agreed that the molt probably started her plucking. I was just wondering of anyone had experience with the drug and a bird. I hate to medicate her if I don't have to though.

When we got her she was a bit of a disaster, she was a 'high drama' bird...and she calmed down with care and attention (and a proper [email protected] diet!).

Bleh. I just feel bad for her.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
She is always in the middle of the action at home, she gets so much attention, it's ridiculous. She has a portable play stand that we drag around from room to room for her so she can be with us all the time.

The only thing that changed recently is the addition of Flip. But she started the plucking thing before then. One of the avian vets I know rather well suggested the liquid prozac for her, she agreed that the molt probably started her plucking. I was just wondering of anyone had experience with the drug and a bird. I hate to medicate her if I don't have to though.

When we got her she was a bit of a disaster, she was a 'high drama' bird...and she calmed down with care and attention (and a proper [email protected] diet!).

Bleh. I just feel bad for her.
there are some topical bird sprays that you can use to soothe the itchy. My goffin began to pluck and we had to use an elizabethan collar for birds :) It worked and he has never done it again My vet explained that it is a release of endomorphens that cause a bird to pluck it soothes them, when they are stressed. . He explained that you need to interupt the behavior. BTW Greys are famous for being pluckers.plucking is a horrible behavior. I assume that you checked for mites?
Here are some of things I found worked for my cockatoos

http://harrisonsbirdfoods.com/
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=5059+6561+6562+13416&pcatid=13416#

Natra Pet Bird Bath Spray
Or just simply misting with water can help . Sometimes they just plain get dry :)
i hope this helps

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will definitely try the spray!
Thanks! :D

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
there are some topical bird sprays that you can use to soothe the itchy. My goffin began to pluck and we had to use an elizabethan collar for birds :) It worked and he has never done it again My vet explained that it is a release of endomorphens that cause a bird to pluck it soothes them, when they are stressed. . He explained that you need to interupt the behavior. BTW Greys are famous for being pluckers.plucking is a horrible behavior. I assume that you checked for mites?
Here are some of things I found worked for my cockatoos

http://harrisonsbirdfoods.com/
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=5059+6561+6562+13416&pcatid=13416#

Natra Pet Bird Bath Spray
Or just simply misting with water can help . Sometimes they just plain get dry :)
i hope this helps

Wow and would never had guess they would have this for birds lol That is cool. My mom really wants a cockatoo I really like them also.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
My birds.

These are my birds Rose and Mr Magoo
Rose is a Moluccan and gooey is a goffin :)
Cockatoos are pretty noisey you have to really love birds Rose is perpetuall for sale to the right home of course she is LOUD!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What pretty cockatoos!

I attached a kinda bad cameraphone pic of Echo. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
Check out all of the writings by Chet at www.birdtricks.com
He has a lot of great ideas for bird training, in a nutshell reframing your relationship, I highly recommend as his recommendations seem to be soundly based in positive reinforcement.

·
Registered
180 Posts
A grey is my dream parrot...a few years away though considering our already nutty household and what you pay for a chick here!

I don't doubt you look after him and spoil him, but I wonder if he has enough toys to really make him think? For example the birdy einstine range? Where to get a treat, he's got to figure out the contraption.

Good luck, it must be heartbreaking!

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
A grey is my dream parrot...a few years away though considering our already nutty household and what you pay for a chick here!

I don't doubt you look after him and spoil him, but I wonder if he has enough toys to really make him think? For example the birdy einstine range? Where to get a treat, he's got to figure out the contraption.

Good luck, it must be heartbreaking!
I forgot about these we have a wheel that you put nuts in and it keeps gooey busy for days ..

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Such pretty birds! I've always loved Moluccans, ever since I met one named Darlin' who said "Hello Darlin" just like Conway Twitty. He was such a love bug, but already a hot mess. He was being sold on consignment at a local petstore (the sell birds and reptiles, that they breed themselves). He would rub all over me and try to bite anyone who came close while I was holding him. It sound like you are doing everything you can think of for Echo and you've gotten some some good advice too. I hope you can work out her issues.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Thanks my Rose is a total love bug She would NEVER bite. She does not really talk though . Gooey says several phrases.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Parrots need more than just pellets. They need SOME seed, but mostly fresh fruits and vegetables. They like to eat at the table with you.

Also lots of toys to tear up and shred.

I have a Timneh and a Congo.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Parrots need more than just pellets. They need SOME seed, but mostly fresh fruits and vegetables. They like to eat at the table with you.

Also lots of toys to tear up and shred.

I have a Timneh and a Congo.
I agree with the fresh veggies ,,,,be careful of fruit some birds will get a yeast infection from the high sugar content. The other GREAT thing for birds is a bean soup less the salt of course there are some great recipes on the web..

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Thanks my Rose is a total love bug She would NEVER bite. She does not really talk though . Gooey says several phrases.
I think how they are raised plays a big role. So many birds are sold to clueless owners and then bounce around, it's really sad. I have a feeling that's what happened to Darlin. I would've love to have taken him, but I don't think it would've been a good fit. I've never owned anything bigger than a Budgie. I don't even know if they'd have sold him to me. They are a really unique shop, the owner breeds most of the animals and his staff is very knowledgable. The tell everyone to call or come in any time for advice on any animal they buy.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I think how they are raised plays a big role. So many birds are sold to clueless owners and then bounce around, it's really sad. I have a feeling that's what happened to Darlin. I would've love to have taken him, but I don't think it would've been a good fit. I've never owned anything bigger than a Budgie. I don't even know if they'd have sold him to me. They are a really unique shop, the owner breeds most of the animals and his staff is very knowledgable. The tell everyone to call or come in any time for advice on any animal they buy.
Wow they sound very responsible

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
So many birds are sold to clueless owners and then bounce around, it's really sad.
Like with so many pets, I think people don't do the research and understand what a big commitment even the smallest bird is. My mom's budgie lived till he was 11. And some parrots - you have to will them to your grandchildren!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts