Poodle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
We have also looked at Paris Poodles but haven't gotten responses to our inquiries lately. We are looking for a small (20-22") red standard. We want a working poodle rather than the foo foo type. Also have negative feelings towards tail docking for what seems to be mostly cosmetic reasons. We basically liked the look of their dogs. However, we are open to other options. We are now at the point in our research to start visiting breeders.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
The dogs look great on the site! I like their approach.
Reds are a touch pricey but like spoofan said, "if you break it down to what your companion will cost you per each year of its life...it's a bargain,not to mention how you will be enriched!" agreed

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
All Standard Poodles are "working type". The idea that they are froo froo is simply urban legend.

In fact, if you are looking for a Standard with good work ethic, you should be looking at breeders who specifically breed for show or performance. Paris does neither... where are the show, obedience, agility, tracking, hunting titles?

Consider these dogs:

CH Ascot Boucheron Joaillerie CD RN MH
Besides being a Champion show dog, most people would agree that a Master Hunter title is something you can brag about with the boys at any bar in the country. Yet look at her pedigree: http://www.poodlepedigree.com/pedigree.asp?ID=318167
Behind her are generation after generation of Champion show dogs.

AM CH OTCH Cantif's Chasing The Storm UDX8
Holy Cow! Not only a breed Champion but an OTCH which in my opinion is the hardest title of all to obtain. Not only do you have to be able to do all the most difficult obedience exercises, you have to BEAT the other teams who are working at your same level. Plus a UDX8 title means that this dog correctly completed both Open and Utility exercises on the same day 80 TIMES!!!!!! This dog is a working machine. Yet his pedigree is full of Champion show dogs and in fact he is the son of the Standard Poodle who has produced the most show Champions in history.
http://www.poodlepedigree.com/pedigree.asp?ID=10754

I could go on (a lot), but I think I might bore people.

Paris poodles is playing on people's fears about Poodles. They are spinning a story that they think people want to hear. Where I come from we might say they are all hat and no horse. Where are the performance titles that prove the working ability of their breeding dogs? Where are the Breed Ring titles that show that their Poodles conform to standard? (It is very easy to finish a Poodle in Canada). All I see are average to poor quality poodles. Why would anyone pay top $$$ for these dogs? Color? Again, in horses we say... you can't ride color.

Finally a word about tails. I don't love docking tails and if it ever becomes illegal like it is in Europe, I will gladly put the procedure behind me. However, a docked tail is currently part of the look of Poodle. That lovely 12 o'clock tail, wagging back and forth, shows spirit and confidence. It also is helpful if you are trying to keep track of a dog working high grass.

People love to complain about the docked Poodle tail, but no one gives a second thought to the docked tails on German Shorthair Pointers, Vizslas, Weimaraner, or on any of the Terrier breeds. Why is that?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
People love to complain about the docked Poodle tail, but no one gives a second thought to the docked tails on German Shorthair Pointers, Vizslas, Weimaraner, or on any of the Terrier breeds. Why is that?
Actually people do... they complain about docking in general and no breed is immune to their complaints.
We own 2 dobermans and I cannot tell you how many times I've had to deal with people saying it's cruel.
Just as I've mentioned in another post.... studies done by the DCA has shown that dobes docked and cropped are more likely to be rehomed that dobes that were not.

I feel if you want to crop and dock it should be your choice - whether it's for cosmetic reasons or not.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
all standard poodles are "working type". The idea that they are froo froo is simply urban legend.

In fact, if you are looking for a standard with good work ethic, you should be looking at breeders who specifically breed for show or performance. Paris does neither... Where are the show, obedience, agility, tracking, hunting titles?

Consider these dogs:

Ch ascot boucheron joaillerie cd rn mh
besides being a champion show dog, most people would agree that a master hunter title is something you can brag about with the boys at any bar in the country. Yet look at her pedigree: http://www.poodlepedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=318167
behind her are generation after generation of champion show dogs.

Am ch otch cantif's chasing the storm udx8
holy cow! Not only a breed champion but an otch which in my opinion is the hardest title of all to obtain. Not only do you have to be able to do all the most difficult obedience exercises, you have to beat the other teams who are working at your same level. Plus a udx8 title means that this dog correctly completed both open and utility exercises on the same day 80 times!!!!!! This dog is a working machine. Yet his pedigree is full of champion show dogs and in fact he is the son of the standard poodle who has produced the most show champions in history.
http://www.poodlepedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=10754

i could go on (a lot), but i think i might bore people.

Paris poodles is playing on people's fears about poodles. They are spinning a story that they think people want to hear. Where i come from we might say they are all hat and no horse. Where are the performance titles that prove the working ability of their breeding dogs? Where are the breed ring titles that show that their poodles conform to standard? (it is very easy to finish a poodle in canada). All i see are average to poor quality poodles. Why would anyone pay top $$$ for these dogs? Color? Again, in horses we say... You can't ride color.
well said !

·
Registered
843 Posts
I used to prefer the look of a docked tail on a poodle.
At the same time I believe that like so many other things we do to dogs,it is done strictly for the benefit of us humans.
It does nothing whatsoever for the dog.
You are essentially cutting off the end of a pup's spine.
They use their tail to navigate.
As time goes on the look of a full,glorious,natural tail on a poodle is really growing on me.
I hope,that North America will join the rest of the world and put a ban on any animal mutilation.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I've never heard of a Poodle in Schutzhund. Is it possible? I wouldn't think their personalities would be suited for it.
You can enter anything into schutzhund ... but what they do is probably only the tracking and obedience part of it.
Most breeds other than the GSD do not excell in the handler protection, that is why you never see them doing schutzhund. The only breeds other than GSD that I've seen excell at handler protection is pit bulls, rottweilers and dobermans (and then they really need to be bred as working dogs and very few of them end up having the correct bite and/or drive to do schutzhund)

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I used to prefer the look of a docked tail on a poodle.
At the same time I believe that like so many other things we do to dogs,it is done strictly for the benefit of us humans.
It does nothing whatsoever for the dog.
You are essentially cutting off the end of a pup's spine.
They use their tail to navigate.
As time goes on the look of a full,glorious,natural tail on a poodle is really growing on me.
I hope,that North America will join the rest of the world and put a ban on any animal mutilation.
It's true what you say spoofan... many things we do to our dogs... and children and other people are strictly to benefit ourselves.

I've never seen any dog suffer from having their tail docked correctly... it should be docked within a day or two after puppies are born... thus they really do not even feel it since the bone is still extremely soft.

I've never seen docked tails have any affect on a dog's navigation what-so-ever ?????

·
Registered
843 Posts
It's true what you say spoofan... many things we do to our dogs... and children and other people are strictly to benefit ourselves.

I've never seen any dog suffer from having their tail docked correctly... it should be docked within a day or two after puppies are born... thus they really do not even feel it since the bone is still extremely soft.

I've never seen docked tails have any affect on a dog's navigation what-so-ever ?????
Unless you are the puppy,you cannot tell what they feel or do not feel.
If it was a harmless procedure,enhancing the dog's life in any way,chances are it would not be banned in the civilized world.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
If it was a harmless procedure,enhancing the dog's life in any way,chances are it would not be banned in the civilized world.
My understanding that many Europe countries have banned Cropping and docking because people are doing it themselves and using BUTCHER Knifes ..... These people where not cropping and docking at the right age either.

There are many things that are banned because PETA fantatics want total animal liberation.

Does this mean they are right ?................ I don't think so.

I know this subject is controversial but you need to look at what things are banned now and why because a lot of it is just due to shear ignorance.

I really do not care if the dog is docked or not , I do feel if done properly by a vet then there should not be a problem at all.

ALL of this is JMO

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Well, just because they banned docking and cropping I would never go as far as calling them civilized... since this "civilized" world that you are talking about is also probably the number one importer of fur... and if you knew where that fur for your fluffy winter coat came from you would wonder why they thought it was sooo darn important to ban docking and cropping while animals are skinned alive and still used in just about every fashion house in this "civilized" world. (maybe to shut up peta etc.)

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Well, just because they banned docking and cropping I would never go as far as calling them civilized... since this "civilized" world that you are talking about is also probably the number one importer of fur... and if you knew where that fur for your fluffy winter coat came from you would wonder why they thought it was sooo darn important to ban docking and cropping while animals are skinned alive and still used in just about every fashion house in this "civilized" world. (maybe to shut up peta etc.)
Great Point Ponki !

UK and other European countries has ban pit bulls and other "dangerous" breeds :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Ive had several puppies home after ear cropping. Luckily, none of them ran around yelping and crying about there ears. They where done at a vet, put under for the proceedure and then released home. They did however want to itch them so you have to make sure the ointment is put on them several times a day and watch them closely. After a week the stiches are removed and they are beautiful.

I do happen to be a fan of a docked tail on Rotties, dobes, pointers etc and love the look of a nice cropped ear. I think as long as the proceedures are done at the proper times then its ok. I used to be against the ear cropping (why my Lotus has natural ears) until I saw our first show puppy Malibu come home from her ears being cropped.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
All Standard Poodles are "working type". The idea that they are froo froo is simply urban legend.

In fact, if you are looking for a Standard with good work ethic, you should be looking at breeders who specifically breed for show or performance. Paris does neither... where are the show, obedience, agility, tracking, hunting titles?

Consider these dogs:

CH Ascot Boucheron Joaillerie CD RN MH
Besides being a Champion show dog, most people would agree that a Master Hunter title is something you can brag about with the boys at any bar in the country. Yet look at her pedigree: http://www.poodlepedigree.com/pedigree.asp?ID=318167
Behind her are generation after generation of Champion show dogs.

AM CH OTCH Cantif's Chasing The Storm UDX8
Holy Cow! Not only a breed Champion but an OTCH which in my opinion is the hardest title of all to obtain. Not only do you have to be able to do all the most difficult obedience exercises, you have to BEAT the other teams who are working at your same level. Plus a UDX8 title means that this dog correctly completed both Open and Utility exercises on the same day 80 TIMES!!!!!! This dog is a working machine. Yet his pedigree is full of Champion show dogs and in fact he is the son of the Standard Poodle who has produced the most show Champions in history.
http://www.poodlepedigree.com/pedigree.asp?ID=10754

I could go on (a lot), but I think I might bore people.

Paris poodles is playing on people's fears about Poodles. They are spinning a story that they think people want to hear. Where I come from we might say they are all hat and no horse. Where are the performance titles that prove the working ability of their breeding dogs? Where are the Breed Ring titles that show that their Poodles conform to standard? (It is very easy to finish a Poodle in Canada). All I see are average to poor quality poodles. Why would anyone pay top $$$ for these dogs? Color? Again, in horses we say... you can't ride color.

Finally a word about tails. I don't love docking tails and if it ever becomes illegal like it is in Europe, I will gladly put the procedure behind me. However, a docked tail is currently part of the look of Poodle. That lovely 12 o'clock tail, wagging back and forth, shows spirit and confidence. It also is helpful if you are trying to keep track of a dog working high grass.

Beautifully put, thank you. :)

·
Registered
843 Posts
Sorry you misunderstood...it never occured to me to call a nation 'civilized' based solely on whether it is in favour of tail docking or not.
There are many other aspects to consider...ie. how it treats its poorest,the mentally ill,its view on death penalty(killing is wrong therefore we kill YOU) etc.
I agree with you about unnecessary slaughter of animals for fur...one of the reasons I do not own a 'fluffy winter coat'.
We cannot fix all of the world 'wrongs' at once but should be heading in the right direction.
I have my beliefs,you have yours and that is what makes us individuals.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
You can enter anything into schutzhund ... but what they do is probably only the tracking and obedience part of it.
Most breeds other than the GSD do not excell in the handler protection, that is why you never see them doing schutzhund. The only breeds other than GSD that I've seen excell at handler protection is pit bulls, rottweilers and dobermans (and then they really need to be bred as working dogs and very few of them end up having the correct bite and/or drive to do schutzhund)
Very OT. I own a Rottie and belong to a Rottie forum and there is always discussion on how suitable they are for Schutzhund. General consensus is working line GSDs and Malinois are the best. I've seen some pitbulls doing PP work and it really bugged me some reason. They were never meant to be guard dogs and are supposed to love people in general. I've even heard that any fighting dogs that were the least bit aggressive towards humans were "culled." (Feel free to set me straight if I'm wrong.)

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Very OT. I own a Rottie and belong to a Rottie forum and there is always discussion on how suitable they are for Schutzhund. General consensus is working line GSDs and Malinois are the best. I've seen some pitbulls doing PP work and it really bugged me some reason. They were never meant to be guard dogs and are supposed to love people in general. I've even heard that any fighting dogs that were the least bit aggressive towards humans were "culled." (Feel free to set me straight if I'm wrong.)
That is true but there has been stories of certain dogs being man biters and they where kept and bred because they where winnings. I have had people from game-dog forum tell me about gambler's virgil being a man biter. There is a group of people in so cal with virgil bloodline and use them for SCH. Who knows you would really have to talk to someone who has seen gamblers virgil in person and talk to people who own dogs off of him.

I am learning more and more about SCh and I watched a demo at the OC pet expo. This dog trainer showed us the difference in a SCH dog ( which is just a sport for fun) and a real Protection dog. You can see the difference right away.

I have heard too many SCH people say SCH is just a sport for fun and these dogs will not attack with out a sleeve. Most of the SCH get sleeve happy and that is all they care about. A PS dog will attack no matter what does not need a sleeve.

This is just the info I gathered so please don't take this as fact. I am still learning about SCH and PS. My bf boss knows one of so cals top SCH, PS trainers maybe I can get chance to talk to him one day.

·
Registered
96 Posts
True roxy... one person's bad experience and just a bit of media can change a world's point of view.
Its not just one persons bad experience im afraid!! Statistics show that there is a notable rise in dog attacks in the UK and USA! Think how the parents of these children feel? I wouldnt say it was the dogs fault however, it is just irresponsible dog owners that think having a savage animal makes them big and hard (which they are not)!! They then breed the animal to be aggressive, and evetually the sh*t hits the fan. Im not saying its a specific breed, and im not saying I agree with the banning of certain breeds, I just think the UK government is right to be taking action (whether it be right or wrong). Have a look at this article. It is very interesting.
http://www.stinkyjournalism.org/news/12-12-06Mongers/fatal_dog_attacks.htm

21 - 40 of 42 Posts