Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I would like to know if anyone here has any experience with the breeder Paris Poodles based in British Columbia, Canada or can give me any insight or point me towards where I could find some third party information. All I have to go by so far is their website:

http://www.parispoodles.com/Welcome_To_Paris_Poodles.html

The main reason I have been drawn to their sight is due to the vast amount of information they seem to be providing which is very comforting for a first time standard poodle owner to be.

Does any experienced eyes have any concerns from what they see on the website or even better any first hand accounts? I am quite drawn to their ‘stocky working dog philosophy’ is that all just a selling point or do they have a real point of difference? I am quite intrigued by how ‘differently’ they have marketed themselves.

All thoughts would be much welcomed.

Kind Regards

Meety

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Don't know anything about Paris Poodles, but sure enjoyed their web site that you posted, simply beautiful place.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I never heard of Paris Poodles, but went to visit the website, which is very nice. But, I see quite a few red flags that give me pause. While they say they test the poodles, they don't list which tests are done, nor do they seem to show their poodles in confirmation. A good, reputable breeder does both. They seem to concentrate on the poodles that are "working dogs" and their type seems off. Their prices of $1,500 to $3.000 for a pet are really high and are usually charged by top show breeder for their puppies that come from champion parents that are fully health tested. I also am bothered by their "foster Program". They send their pick of the litter male/female puppy to live with a family, then pay for their tests (whatever they may be) and if all is well they use the puppy back in their breeding program!!!! Now there is the way to keep making money when you can't house any more poodles.

Here's a link to Canadian Poodle Club, that has a lot of information about the poodles and a breeder referal.

http://poodleclubcanada.com/

I don't mean to sound harsh or condescending, I just want you to be well informed before you make your decision. :)

Edited to add, welcome to the forum. Standard Poodles are truly amazing dogs and you will love having one.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I never heard of Paris Poodles, but went to visit the website, which is very nice. But, I see quite a few red flags that give me pause. While they say they test the poodles, they don't list which tests are done, nor do they seem to show their poodles in confirmation. A good, reputable breeder does both. They seem to concentrate on the poodles that are "working dogs" and their type seems off. Their prices of $1,500 to $3.000 for a pet are really high and are usually charged by top show breeder for their puppies that come from champion parents that are fully health tested. I also am bothered by their "foster Program". They send their pick of the litter male/female puppy to live with a family, then pay for their tests (whatever they may be) and if all is well they use the puppy back in their breeding program!!!! Now there is the way to keep making money when you can't house any more poodles.

Here's a link to Canadian Poodle Club, that has a lot of information about the poodles and a breeder referal.

I don't mean to sound harsh or condescending, I just want you to be well informed before you make your decision. :)

Edited to add, welcome to the forum. Standard Poodles are truly amazing dogs and you will love having one.
I agree My sister and I been to their site many times because they have red poodles but , they are asking 1500k-3k for pets . I would not buy one of their dogs at that price.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I too have been to their website before and to be honest feel like they are breeding away from what a Standard Poodle should be.

They are not a stocky breed and almost every one I have met has been super intelligent. Poodles should be refined not bulky, and being a lighter dog of bone they tend to excel at water retrieval.

Paris Poodles said:
I found out that I had to be careful where I got my Standard Poodle from because just like in the
German Shepherd Dog breed there are Breeders who breed so much for conformation (the
animal who looks the most like the breed standard) that the animal can no longer function in a
working capacity.
I hate to say it but form follows function and its true that some Standards can no longer do the things they were bred to do but neither can the GSD.

*shrug*

They seam like nice people who care about their dogs but seam missimformed about what a Poodle really is.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thank you for taking the time to have a good look at their website. The points you have brought up have definitely added some important questions to my already long list, I am also having some more doubts after reading other comments posted below.

I must admit one of the main reasons I was quite eager to run with this breeder (and her stocky working dog philosophy), is that my husband was shall I say a tad reluctant with the idea of a standard poodle however I sold him with the picture of ‘Rundle’ the poodle on the testimonial page http://parispoodles.com/testimonials2.html (second picture of him) from Paris Poodles. Now I guess it’s a matter of convincing him the normal poodle can still turn out like ‘Rundle’. But the question is can it? Is the Rundle what you would consider a normal standard poodle? Is it just a matter of grooming? I’m hoping the experienced people here can help me explain to my husband that any standard poodle that we buy can be groomed to look like this…

Also if you could tell me how to edit my initial post to add this, I would greatly appreciate that too 

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I don't know why people have this stigma about Poodles. It baffles me.

How do you mean "turned out"? If its his coat you can groom one or not groom one to look however you want them to. If its his gopher chasing and hiking well that all depends on temperament and training.

Standard Poodles are very intelligent and adventuresome. When you buy a dog look for someone who is going for the total dog not just one aspect of the breed. Read the Poodle Standard and visit a few shows regardless if you want a show dog as seeing the breed in vast numbers can show you how that differ yet are the same.

I did find on their site that the testing info is on each dogs pages.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know why people have this stigma about Poodles. It baffles me.

How do you mean "turned out"? If its his coat you can groom one or not groom one to look however you want them to. If its his gopher chasing and hiking well that all depends on temperament and training.

Standard Poodles are very intelligent and adventuresome. When you buy a dog look for someone who is going for the total dog not just one aspect of the breed. Read the Poodle Standard and visit a few shows regardless if you want a show dog as seeing the breed in vast numbers can show you how that differ yet are the same.

I did find on their site that the testing info is on each dogs pages.
Hi

Sorry if I didn't phrase that well, I love standard poodles and don't have any issues with them however my husband would like to be apart of the process (choosing a dog) which im am more than happy for him to be apart of, however so far most of what I have been able to show him has been mostly poodles in the 'show' clips as such.

I dont have any plans on showing my dog. I'm just looking for an amazing pet and the standard poodle looks like one of the most intelligent and personable dogs I've ever seen.

What appealed to my husband about the dog in the picture i showed him 'Rundle' was that it look like a dog that he would be more then happy to walk down the street with.

As i dont have indepth knowledge regarding poodles and/or poodle grooming basically im asking is the main difference just in the grooming? I'm assuming thats all it is, and I just wanted to confirm that as i can't really find any similar looking 'standard poodles' to show my husband and therefore make my case. Its taken a while for us agree on one breed and I would hate to lose him over something as simple as grooming.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Hi
As i dont have indepth knowledge regarding poodles and/or poodle grooming basically im asking is the main difference just in the grooming? I'm assuming thats all it is, and I just wanted to confirm that as i can't really find any similar looking 'standard poodles' to show my husband and therefore make my case. Its taken a while for us agree on one breed and I would hate to lose him over something as simple as grooming.

Thanks
Yes show breeders clip dogs that way because of the breed standard. All poodles can be clip or groomed any way you want if its just a pet. Trust me if you go to a show breeders house some of the dogs will have a sporting clip and not the Continental Clip because the maintenance is hard work. Only the ones being shown will have the Continental Clip.

Here look at this website
http://www.standardpoodlesusa.com/clip-styles.html

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes show breeders clip dogs that way because of the breed standard. All poodles can be clip or groomed any way you want if its just a pet. Trust me if you go to a show breeders house some of the dogs will have a sporting clip and not the Continental Clip because the maintenance is hard work. Only the ones being shown will have the Continental Clip.

Here look at this website
http://www.standardpoodlesusa.com/clip-styles.html
Hi

Thanks for that, is there a reason they all seem to shave the face?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Hi

Thanks for that, is there a reason they all seem to shave the face?

Thanks
Its a tradition look within the breed that the hunters used " The clipping and grooming of poodles has come a long way from its early utilitarian days as a means to improve a poodle's ability to swim through water, help it avoid snagging on undergrowth, and keep its joints warm and protected from the cold."

. The dog you showed your Husband and he liked it has a shaved face also.

http://www.poodle-place.com/poodleclip.htm

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its a tradition look within the breed that the hunters used " The clipping and grooming of poodles has come a long way from its early utilitarian days as a means to improve a poodle's ability to swim through water, help it avoid snagging on undergrowth, and keep its joints warm and protected from the cold."

. The dog you showed your Husband and he liked it has a shaved face also.

http://www.poodle-place.com/poodleclip.htm
This is the dog my husband has seen:

http://www.parispoodles.com/sitebuilder/images/Rundle_hiking-454x336.jpg

I've posted over in the grooming section, so as not to be inappropriate since my breeder post has gone off on a tangent (as all good forums do! lol). but thanks for the help.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've been looking at their site and I like their poodles because I do want one for doing work (possible search and rescue or schutshund).
What I don't like is how hard they are to contact. I've left a few e-mails over the past month or so because I can't find their on line application form but they've NEVER returned a single e-mail. Perhaps it's because I use hotmail but regardless it's very offputting and I'm now looking elsewhere for a baby.
If you decide to go with them I hope you have better luck than me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've been looking at their site and I like their poodles because I do want one for doing work (possible search and rescue or schutshund).
What I don't like is how hard they are to contact. I've left a few e-mails over the past month or so because I can't find their on line application form but they've NEVER returned a single e-mail. Perhaps it's because I use hotmail but regardless it's very offputting and I'm now looking elsewhere for a baby.
If you decide to go with them I hope you have better luck than me.
Hi thats a shame they haven't gotten back to you. They do say on their contact page they have communication problems. Let me know if they ever get back to you.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Paris poodles are not far from where we are.
I have met a few of their dogs and must say they are quite nice.
There is a red 3 year old Paris poodle,named Scarlett we run into at the park and she is very rich coloured,considering her age.
I agree they are not cheap,but if a breeder can get away with charging theses prices,people are willing to pay them.
Word gets around and if they produce good,healthy dogs,they can charge this and stay in business.
$2000 dollars for a pet?
If you break it down to what your companion will cost you per each year of its life...it's a bargain,not to mention how you will be enriched...in a non-monetary way...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Paris poodles are not far from where we are.
I have met a few of their dogs and must say they are quite nice.
There is a red 3 year old Paris poodle,named Scarlett we run into at the park and she is very rich coloured,considering her age.
I agree they are not cheap,but if a breeder can get away with charging theses prices,people are willing to pay them.
Word gets around and if they produce good,healthy dogs,they can charge this and stay in business.
$2000 dollars for a pet?
If you break it down to what your companion will cost you per each year of its life...it's a bargain,not to mention how you will be enriched...in a non-monetary way...
Hi, im glad to hear some positives, the dogs on their website look beautiful, healthy and strong i only wish i was able to get one from there.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Hi, im glad to hear some positives, the dogs on their website look beautiful, healthy and strong i only wish i was able to get one from there.
Hey Meety , You should PM Sivaro she might be able to help you also she is in AU too :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Meety , You should PM Sivaro she might be able to help you also she is in AU too :D
Yes, i def will, we just found out we have to move soon, so we have decided to wait till we buy a house before we buy a puppy its really hard to rent here with pets sadly.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Are you looking for a red poodle? I know of some good and bad red poodle breeders in British Columbia. Let me know. Certain breeders do bad line breeding and breed dogs that are too old, or too soon, or fudging testing!!! I don't associate with this breeder anymore, but she used to breed red toys and minis together to get red and apricot minis. She is now into standards. I know her very well.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts