Poodle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Paris doesn't know yet, but she is going to breed on her next heat, which will be in late December or early January, providing she comes into season as expected.

Paris has had her genetic testing for VonWillebrands Disease, and is scheduled for her hip exrays for the OFA, (orthopedic foundation america) on her 2nd birthday, and will be tested for thyroid, eyes and STD also at that time. She will be well prepared!

We have chosen a wonderful stud for her named Amos. He is a deeeep dark red color, and has won 6 puppy matches. He is 10 months old now, and will be over a year when they breed. Hopefully he will "finish" in the conformation ring by the time her pups are born. We have settled on a stud fee of $1000 and if he finishes with a championship before breeding the price can't go up. But... boy will those pups be special! Daddy a Champ in the conformation ring, and mommy a certified Delta Society Therapy Dog. The pups should be a wonderful match!

If anyone here has some good whelping tips please post them here for me! I'm reading all I can, and have a wonderful mentor with 40 years experience as a poodle breeder. But anytime someone has ideas or methods that have worked well for them, I'm into listening to stories or suggestions!

Cross your fingers for a successful breeding. I will keep you all updated and post some pictures soon!

:)

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Good luck with the breeding!

I hope to breed my girl next year, and am having a hard time finding a stud to use and was wondering about stud fees, is that the "going rate" or does it very greatly between breeders?

I like to read all I can about breeding and birthing :) When I helped my foster dog have 15 puppies I made a few notes on what I could have done to be better prepared.

~ Have lots of towels and newspaper handy as there will be quite a bit of mess to clean up as you go along.

~ Have a small trash can to dispose of sacks and placentas.

~ Have your "birthing kit" ready to go ;)

~ If you have a place where you want her to whelp set it up and get her used to it and sleeping there.

Your friend should have lot if good information but you may want to read up on how to bottle feed a litter in case she rejects them or has more then 8 pups or you have a weak pup who needs a little help. I'll see if I can dig up some links for you.

Good luck!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stud fees vary among the breeders. If this stud had already finished in conformation the fee would double to at least $2000. Thankfully we have settled on the 1000 even if he finishes by then. I've bought a few whelping books already that I read all of the time on problems that can arise during births and after. I also read on the web for hour each day about whelping. My Paris loves her cage and sleeps in it anytime she can, just for fun. I do need to get her a larger cage for whelping since her legs stick out the sides of this one! HA... it's funny but she loves it. I never close the door. I was shopping for cages yesterday with her and we saw a nice big one at Rural King, I opened the door to the cage and she walked into it and layed down as if to say, "Yup mom! It's big enough!"

The breeder will be available for me during whelping if I need her, and will probably even come while it's happening.

Do you think a cage 40" x 40" x 32" will be big enough to keep Paris and the pups in until I add a pet pen around it for a potty/play area at 3 weeks?

I can't believe I'm so worried about getting this all done and she wont even be breeding for months!

I'm already collecting news papers!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Haha I do a lot of rescue work so my house normally has a foster animal or 4 running around!

Yeah, that sounds large enough. I kept the mother dog in a crate (I'm guessing thats what you are calling a cage) and she is a 50lbs Pit Bull and she did just fine, I did put card board up on the sides to keep the pups from getting caught in the bars.

Yes you will need quite a bit of news paper, I think I went though 3 papers a day after she whelped. :p

Thats for the info about stud fees, I have a Parti Poodle and I don;t know if that matters stud fee wise but I was wanting to breed her to a Parti or Phantom.

Anyway its never too soon to get prepared!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you ever considered testing any of your dogs with Delta for therapy work?

It's very rewarding!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've heard of some breeders using a kids hard plastic pool for a whelping box instead of a crate. It is much easier to keep clean. Also it contains the babies as they begin walking and allows mom to easily get away from babies to take a break. Good luck with the breeding. Make sure daddy is cleared in all the health issues as well. It would be such a shame to find out later that he has a health issue, especially since you have taken the time to make sure your girl does not. Can't wait to hear updates.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
A kiddie pool would work well if you had space to put it.

I have thought about doing therapy work with my Pit Bull, she is so people oriented and loves to go places and is very well behaved, very easy with people and children. I just get so emotional when I go into place like hospitals and nursing homes I would be a total wreck! But good on ya and anyone else who does therapy work.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Purple poodle, for therapy work i take Paris to the local schools and the 1st and 2nd graders read to her, and also the library for 'read to a dog' day. The kids get really excited about it. She also did some visiting with the kids at the Red Cross shelter when our town was flooded. Any child that read to her at the shelter got a free book about dogs.

I don't really get into the nursing home scene with her.

I have looked everywhere for a plastic kiddie pool! Noone has any left this time of year :(

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Purple poodle, for therapy work i take Paris to the local schools and the 1st and 2nd graders read to her, and also the library for 'read to a dog' day. The kids get really excited about it. She also did some visiting with the kids at the Red Cross shelter when our town was flooded. Any child that read to her at the shelter got a free book about dogs.

I don't really get into the nursing home scene with her.

I have looked everywhere for a plastic kiddie pool! Noone has any left this time of year :(
We went 4 places to even find one during summer :eek: they all have gone to plastic blow-up, disposable junk :( NOthing to good for a dog to jump around in with nails.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've seen them at Petsmart and Walmart. Of course we are in Florida where you can probably find them longer than other areas. Good luck with the search.
I looked into the reading program with Albert. He began showing signs of stress when we started do some training so I backed off. I think it is a wonderful program. Albert is happy being on the couch. He is only 7 but I guess they all age differently.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Paris is associated with the R.E.A.D. program with Intermountain Therapy program, (Reading education Assistance dogs).

The mission of the R.E.A.D. program is to improve the literacy skills of children through the assistance of registered therapy teams as literacy mentors.

I found this after she passed her therapy dog test for Delta and needed something beyond the depressing nursing homes. She loves the nursing homes and seems to know exactly who to go up to for a nice rub down.

I just remember having so much disinterest in reading when I was young. There was no motivation to read at all! But... If i'd had something to work for, such as working on a book that i could read to an nonjudgemental dog, I'd have worked my butt off!

You still have to throw bricks through the windows of the school to get them to let you in with the dogs, because they are so uninformed with the program, but you keep pushing and they are happy in the end. They don't realize that the delta society provided 1 million in liability insurance for the dogs that are qualified and pass the test.

Paris is almost 2 years old and loves doing this. When you are at home you pull out books and put little treats inside books that they can sniff out and dig for. Eventually the dog will be interested in all books to find treats and the kids think they love the books!

It's cool! I think she is gifted for this. (ha ha) proud mama here.

I think I will put a wanted list on freecycle for a molded plastic kiddie pool! Maybe that will work.

·
Registered
89 Posts
That is same program I checked into with Albert. I have a 9 yr old daughter and he loves kids so I thought that would be a great thing for him to do. They actually need more R.E.A.D. dogs in our area. The schools are on a waiting list. I also checked into a hospice dog through Delta, but like I said he started showing signs of stress so I backed off. None of my other dogs have what it takes either. Maybe my next one. ;)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Dog Lover, I have checked Walmart but I haven't checked Petsmart. I'll try that today. I'm in Indiana so summer things are long gone here!

I think someone should start a topic about therapy animals. It would go well here!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We got her DNA testing results yesterday for her VonWillebrands gene, she was clear! I did call and ask the studs owner if he had his testing done and she said she is starting it now. So I will make sure I see proof before breeding. Thanks for the advice on that.

·
Registered
89 Posts
How exciting! That is going to be a wonderful litter. I strongly believe in breeding for both a healthy body and mind! We've got to preserve the wonderful poodle temperament and at the same time make sure they meet the standard as closely as possible.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts