Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have been offered a lovely looking (haven't driven to the breeder and seen her in person yet) standard poodle by the name of River by the breeder called Paradise Poodles in Northern California. I am planning on purchasing her this weekend, she is being sold to me as; housebroken, well trained, calm, quiet and more etc.. I am very excited to have been offered her, but today I decided I hadn't really done my homework on the breeder, so I started searching, I have searched high and low today for reviews on this breeder and can't find anything Does anyone have anything they can share with me about this breeder? I am seeking honest input.. hoping for reassurance, but I don't want to end up in a messey situation, which I know can happen when dealing with unknown breeders.... help me if you can?! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
22,871 Posts
I don't know anything personally, but did google up the website. I see she has championships on a number of dogs and it looks like there are good lines there, but there is no health testing info on the website (which isn't necessarily a problem as long as it has been done). I would ask for the dog's chic number or for copies of the results of the tests.

Reactions: 1SpooCher.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Paradise Poodles VERY highly recommended

Hello all, thank you Catherine, and thanks to those I spoke to more privately, and the time you put in to help! I emailed one of the most highly regarded breeders in our area (she is mentioned on this forum a lot as a go to in Northern California for high quality) and she said I could NOT DO BETTER than Paradise Poodles. I am so extremely pleased to have been able to resource all this knowledge from the Poodle Forum!! I hope that this search for knowledge on this breeder can stick out here on the forum and help others who are searching for reviews on Paradise Poodles of California..... I think she has puppies available right now too if anyone is looking for a standard poodle puppy!..... : )

·
Premium Member
22,871 Posts
That's great. I saw River's pic and she is a nice looking dog. I hope it all works out for you.

Reactions: 1SpooCher.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And A River Ran Through It :D

Thank you so much. : ) There needs to be more on line reviews for her and her breeding program... we all live by reading the reviews on EVERYTHING and balancing out the good with the bad and choosing that way these days I guess, or at least I do :D, :typing: I believe Rivers availability, size, age, breeding and training to fit so serendipitously with my hopes and needs list and that has not been easy, and there she is needing me,... I guess I've always had the belief that God has more to do with giving people the right spoos and spoos the right people at the right times in both of their lives and I am going forward with that in mind.... I just HAPPENED to write to Paradise Poodles looking for an adult like her the very morning she had been taken from their breeding program with a spay surgery.... so, here I am as informed as I can be and going forward with fingers crossed... she surely IS a beautiful girl, hoping it's on the inside too... Anyway thanks to you and to this forum for being a great source for me in my research.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi I have been offered a lovely looking (haven't driven to the breeder and seen her in person yet) standard poodle by the name of River by the breeder called Paradise Poodles in Northern California. I am planning on purchasing her this weekend, she is being sold to me as; housebroken, well trained, calm, quiet and more etc.. I am very excited to have been offered her, but today I decided I hadn't really done my homework on the breeder, so I started searching, I have searched high and low today for reviews on this breeder and can't find anything Does anyone have anything they can share with me about this breeder? I am seeking honest input.. hoping for reassurance, but I don't want to end up in a messey situation, which I know can happen when dealing with unknown breeders.... help me if you can?! Thanks!
I bought ($2500) a puppy from her which she assured me was “show quality”. I was just looking for a pet, but paid”shoew quality” price. Took the puppy to the vet - had a SEVERE underbite and puppy teeth were growing in sideways. Took two surgeries to correct teeth, but underbite is still there.....but by that time I was attached to him and didn’t make a stink. As a breeder, she had to know - stay away from this one - she is unscrupulous.

·
Super Moderator
3,016 Posts
Crae, it's unfortunate you had a bad experience, but as a new member and your first post, please clarify a few things as the forum does not like getting tangled into disputes. You used the word 'unscrupulous' in describing the breeder because of the extensive dental problems, so some questions are in order for us (the Super Moderators) to understand what exactly happened or if you're just angry over unexpected and unforeseeable problems and the costs of which any breeder might not have been able to foresee.

The thought is that to some degree getting a puppy is like adopting a baby; if he needs thousands of dollars in orthodontist work at age 12, one shouldn't call the adoption agency 'unscrupulous' for not knowing this. So let's jump in to the details.

Did the breeder give you a contract that said the puppy was of show quality? I visited her site, and she looks like she's not a newbie to the show world, and these kinds of breeders will rarely say a puppy is show quality, although they might say show potential and charge accordingly. If the contract says show quality, this would frankly have been stupid since this is hard to predict too.

How old exactly was the puppy when you got him, i.e., 8 weeks, 9 weeks, etc? At what exact age did his new adult teeth grow in which made the other teeth misaligned? Were these the four canine baby teeth that needed to be extracted, or more than four, requiring two surgeries?

One of the problems is that no breeder can foresee baby teeth not dropping out when a puppy is very young, since the new ones come in 2+ months later - unless this runs in the family.

However good breeders I'm familiar with usually can spot a moderate to severe bad bite at the age of 8 weeks and will show potential buyers the bite of the puppy before purchase. Did the breeder do this?

What did your vet say about the misalignment, and did the vet say the adult teeth crowded with the baby teeth caused the underbite?

And can you show us a photo(s) of your dog's side profile and underbite? If you have a puppy pic when you first got him, this will be helpful too from an informational standpoint for our other members on what to watch out for.

Thanks,

Vita
SuperModerator

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
Paradise California. Isn't that the town leveled by the Camp fire in 2018? This thread started in 2017. When did you get your puppy?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought ($2500) a puppy from her which she assured me was “show quality”. I was just looking for a pet, but paid”shoew quality” price. Took the puppy to the vet - had a SEVERE underbite and puppy teeth were growing in sideways. Took two surgeries to correct teeth, but underbite is still there.....but by that time I was attached to him and didn’t make a stink. As a breeder, she had to know - stay away from this one - she is unscrupulous.
I got a request from this site to provide more information, but my response came back as undeliverable. If you want more details and pics, please send me another way to contact you.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
I got a request from this site to provide more information, but my response came back as undeliverable. If you want more details and pics, please send me another way to contact you.
If you received an email notification of the new post asking for the info and tried to reply to that, those are no reply notifications. If you're willing to provide the info requested, just do as you did above and reply within this thread. HTH.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Crae,
I purposely rejoined this forum so that I can ask you more about your Paradise Poodle. I have a 9 month old puppy from Joan and I’m curious about your poodle. Perhaps the issue is something that I need to look out for also? My puppy’s been to the vet for shots and checkups and the vet didn’t say anything about his teeth. Hope to hear back!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts