Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Benjamin Franlkin - Senior Tpoo, Apple Butter - mpoo puppy
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw some people talking about this so I thought I would share an idea we had today.

Some churches are still in session here, so we parked outside of the church when it was letting out to let Apple see all of the people. She was starting to woof at people, so we brought a specialchewy and praised her for chewing and being quiet while people walked all around our car to get to their cars. We never had to get close to people, but she still got to see a lot of people and learn that we don't need to bark when people walk by.

I'm still trying to find safe ways to actually meet people and get treats from strangers, but this was better than nothing! Hope this helps any of y'all out there with pandemic puppies!

·
Premium Member
24,132 Posts
If you want your pup to see other dogs you can hang around outside big box pet stores. You can also hang around schools that are still having f2f instruction to get exposure to children. If at any place where you might want interactions bring little treats that you can give to amenable people to give in exchange for nice manners.

Reactions: Skylar

·
Premium Member
Mia, Christmas in June 2010
2,809 Posts
It sounds like you've stumbled onto a training game called Look at That. It's a great way to desensitize dogs to various stimuli, from bikes and cars to dogs and people. The link is to a decent introduction to the game, and you can find other versions by searching on YouTube. Catherine mentioned a lot of great places to practice above.

·
Registered
669 Posts
If you have a public library near you and it’s open you could hang around outside. I am a library worker at my community library and between patrons going in and out and people walking their dogs on the sidewalk outside the library it would be a great way to see the world. I used to sit outside on the bench with Bobby before Covid and people would stop and say”Hello,” all the time. Not sure one could do that now but one could certainly hang out or do some walking by people and dogs.

·
Registered
Benjamin Franlkin - Senior Tpoo, Apple Butter - mpoo puppy
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Look at that is exactly the game I need! I didn't know I was even doing it, or that it existed. I was just trying to give her something else that she (and I!) would prefer to do over seeing the people and woofing at them. So many places are closed, and I don't want to walk her on the ground in high traffic areas. It's too cold for us to sit outside for very long. She's only 3 pounds and she gets cold easily. But I am happy to sit in the car with those heated seats and play a game!

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Take a bath towel from home and go to Home Depot or Lowe’s....a dog friendly big box store. Put towel in the cart and puppy on the towel. Wheel around the store.....stopping to look at things, letting your pup see people, and all kinds of interesting sights and sounds. We also did winter indoor training at Home Depot. Lots of distractions, warmer than outside and no snow. Lots of friendly people. By the time our winter came along Poppy was fully vaccinated,potty trained and very happy to socialize. Have fun! Home Goods, TJ Max, Macy’s and JoannFabric are all pet friendly in our area.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts