Poodle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I cannot imagine how hard it is to be lonely, without a dog, and having recently lost such a great companion like Ginger.

That said, I think it is important to be very realistic with yourself. Teddy was too much for you and he was 7 years old. Think long and hard about what you can offer a dog beyond a lot of love.

·
Premium Member
22,864 Posts
Locket, yes, I had not thought about the issues with Teddy. Pamela we all know you are lonely and your heart hurts for the loss of Ginger, but please be careful in your decision making. If you end up having to part with another dog as happened with Teddy or Patches then I can't imagine how you would feel. I think I would feel worse than if one of my dogs had died if I had to rehome one of them.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Have you thought about fostering dogs for rescues? If you work with a rescue that's good about matching dogs to potential foster parents, then you could focus on getting the senior fosters and not the problem cases. That way you get to have a dog in your home, but you have a backup system in place and you don't have to think too long-term just yet. And you're doing a great thing for dogs who would otherwise be sitting in a little kennel in a shelter somewhere.

Of course, you have to be OK with giving up the dogs to their forever homes, which can be a lot of heartbreak (especially if you start thinking of them as 'your' dog). But it's something to consider.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I agree with others who have said that an older dog would be better. At the risk of committing heresy on a poodle forum, I'm thinking that you might want to consider an adult that is not 100% poodle. Maybe a poodle mix or maybe even some other breed. An adult poodle could be the perfect solution, but finding a good adult poodle is not exactly easy. If there is a nice mellow adult standard poodle available, there are probably 10 families that want him/her.

But there are lots and lots of nice adult dogs who need homes, and they can be fabulous pets. So what about checking out your local SPCA? Maybe there is a dog that has no one to love him or her, but would make a fabulous pet. If you ask the people who work there, I bet they could help you find an older (but not too old) dog who needs you as much as you need him/her. Take someone with you who could help you evaluate any dog that you are interested in. Good luck! I'm hoping that you will find someone who is just perfect.

·
Premium Member
22,864 Posts
Many shelters and adoption agencies have programs called something along the lines of "seniors for seniors" that match older dogs that need new homes to older folks looking for a dog. I worked with a couple who had adopted a small terrier mix through one of those programs. She was in need of some confidence building kinds of work but otherwise was great for her new family, an older couple.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I agree with others who have said that an older dog would be better. At the risk of committing heresy on a poodle forum, I'm thinking that you might want to consider an adult that is not 100% poodle. Maybe a poodle mix or maybe even some other breed. An adult poodle could be the perfect solution, but finding a good adult poodle is not exactly easy. If there is a nice mellow adult standard poodle available, there are probably 10 families that want him/her.

But there are lots and lots of nice adult dogs who need homes, and they can be fabulous pets. So what about checking out your local SPCA? Maybe there is a dog that has no one to love him or her, but would make a fabulous pet. If you ask the people who work there, I bet they could help you find an older (but not too old) dog who needs you as much as you need him/her. Take someone with you who could help you evaluate any dog that you are interested in. Good luck! I'm hoping that you will find someone who is just perfect.
I think Peppersb has an excellent point- being open to a mixed breed "poodleish" dog may bring you more possibilities. You're only about an hour or so from me, and as you've probably realized....pure bred poodles in rescue are quite uncommon in this area. But there are a lot of really great, older poodle mixes out there looking for someone to love then in their senior years!

·
3,110 Posts
Total red flag for health problems, plus 1 year old is still a puppy! Maizie is still super energetic and high maintenance at 16 mos.

I totally agree with this. Pamela, it's your choice and your business of course, but yes, a 1 year old is still a puppy, and I just don't know how you will be able to handle such a energetic dog. Maybe try to find a Spoo that is more settled, and a little older? Just thinking of you and your health.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Grace is 3 1/2 now. She still has the energy of a puppy but is slowly calming down. I was 70 when I started her training. I don't know if I could do it all again. I doo get MPS and puppy fever but common sense has so far prevailed.
Eric

·
Registered
20 Posts
This might be strange thing to say on a poodle forum, but have you considered a rescue greyhound? They're usually around 4 when they 'retire' from racing. They are extremely calm and gentle dogs, and very low maintenance. The only thing is you would need a well fenced yard.

I'm not sure what the situation is where you are, but here in the UK there are many many adult greyhounds looking for homes.

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
This might be strange thing to say on a poodle forum, but have you considered a rescue greyhound? They're usually around 4 when they 'retire' from racing. They are extremely calm and gentle dogs, and very low maintenance. The only thing is you would need a well fenced yard.

I'm not sure what the situation is where you are, but here in the UK there are many many adult greyhounds looking for homes.
This is such a good idea ! Greyhounds are great dogs and require little exercise, contrary to popular belief.

·
Premium Member
22,864 Posts
Oh yes, I do tend to think of greyhounds as the ultimate couch potatoes of the dog world.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
the right dog is always the right choice. i personally like the idea of a retired show dog from a good breeder, mainly because a good breeder would be looking for a good retirement home for a beloved dog and be knowledgeable about matching temperament to your needs. never give up. someone is out there with the dog you need and who needs you.
actually I was gonna post about this - in fact I will so everyone will read and give advice - but I was contacted by Alexander Poodles - they have a silver male they want to rehome BUT they will retain stud rights - that means he is intact - won't he be too much for me then? you know with exercise - and she initially wanted a home with another dog for him to play with and I dont have that - she said to call her and maybe we could work something out - maybe she will suggest I bring him over to play - she is only about 45 minutes from me. what do you think? I am worried he will nee more exercise like Teddy.

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
do they shed?
Oh, probably. Short-haired dogs... your typical, generally comatose Sighthound. ;) But low-maintenance dogs for sure. And there's usually a lot of them available.

In your earlier post you mentioned a dog that will still be bred. That makes me think it may not be an older dog. Maybe too young and energetic?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Greyhounds shed, but not much. Their hair is very short and they're single-coated, so you don't have giant balls of fluff coming off of them - just little hairs seasonally. I'm sure a greyhound rescue group could tell you more.

Greyhounds are really, really wonderful dogs if you're looking for a laid-back, well-mannered buddy. I would have one right now if we weren't worried about apartment size requirements. In fact, we very nearly went through a Greyhound rescue instead of adopting Archie - the poodle only won out because I wanted an active dog that I could do a lot of training with (greyhounds are very sweet, but aren't especially known for their trick-learning skills). My husband loves them, though, so there's probably one in our future at some point.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
actually I was gonna post about this - in fact I will so everyone will read and give advice - but I was contacted by Alexander Poodles - they have a silver male they want to rehome BUT they will retain stud rights - that means he is intact - won't he be too much for me then? you know with exercise - and she initially wanted a home with another dog for him to play with and I dont have that - she said to call her and maybe we could work something out - maybe she will suggest I bring him over to play - she is only about 45 minutes from me. what do you think? I am worried he will nee more exercise like Teddy.

Their website says he is a young, big male that needs a fenced yard, and a doggy friend. Do you think that sounds like a good match for you?

Again, I think you need to be very realistic and honest with yourself about what you can provide a dog. I think the vast majority of young dogs are going to need a lot of exercise, supervision, training, and attention, as you experienced with Patches. Heck, many mature dogs, especially poodles, need lots of exercise, as you experienced with Teddy.

I don't know what is too much for you, only you can answer that question. But, based on the fact that you have rehomed two dogs already due to their exercise requirements, I think getting any dog that is still in their prime will be overwhelming for you.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Their website says he is a young, big male that needs a fenced yard, and a doggy friend. Do you think that sounds like a good match for you?

Again, I think you need to be very realistic and honest with yourself about what you can provide a dog. I think the vast majority of young dogs are going to need a lot of exercise, supervision, training, and attention. Heck, many mature dogs, especially poodles, need lots of exercise, as you experienced with Teddy.

I don't know what is too much for you, only you can answer that question. But, based on the fact that you have rehomed two dogs already due to their exercise requirements, I think getting any dog that is still in their prime could be overwhelming for you.

I rehomed Teddy because he needed to walk at least 2 miles a day so he wouldnt tear up the house when I went out. His new owners keep in touch and I watch him for them many times - he is totally different now that he has a lot of exercise and I think he likes being the only dog - although he loved Ginger and will miss her when he comes. Since he has more exercise, he has free reign of a large home and never gets in trouble anymore. lol He is very happy.

I rehomed Patches because he was a very small puppy that was getting into parts of my yard that could have been dangerouse for him and I couldnt get up there to help him if he needed it - he was also digging under the pool deck and there are animals living there too. His prey drive was strong lol and he def was a speedy gonzalas - he is happy in his foster home and they have many applications for him.

I need a dog like Ginger - she liked to play - she liked to walk - and she liked to veg - she was totally happy as long as she was with me. I miss her so much and realize I may never find another dog like her - but her temperment was the best for me. So I dont think this boy is for me, however, Amanda from Poodle Resuce of New England said she would like to go see him with me next week when she is back from Boston. She is curious about the situation, and just maybe they will be retiring a female in the near future so going there to see them may be a good idea.not far from me and I appreciate her wanting to go with me. She is lovely and says Patches has lots of applications but she is waiting for someone who can "walk on water" lol her words. so I know he is in good hands.

I appreciate all the advice from you guys and do heed it. I think I woudl like an older female. there is one in Canada about 6 hours from here - that seems so much like Ginger - but I havent got a passport and they have to meet me. so....I am sure the right dog or no dog will be in my future. thanks again for all the advice!!

21 - 40 of 61 Posts