Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cali gets overly excited (jumps around like a fool) whenever anyone comes over to our house or we bring her somewhere else with us. We have been bringing her around people since she was a very small pup and she just doesn't seem to be getting better.

When I get home from work every day she is overly excited to see me. At first, I was petting her and telling her to sit so I could pet her. I have recently started just completely ignoring the fact that she's jumping all over me. This has worked much better. Now she seems to be calming down a little bit with me but it hasn't gotten better with other people.

How do I break her of this behavior? I don't mind if she's excited, I just want her to be polite about it.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
KT12, I recently saw one of Ceaser Malans programs about a dog who too got overly excited when the owner came home. Ceaser had the owners do exactly what you've been doing, by having them totally ignore the dog, by not speaking to it, touching it or anything, in fact he had them turn their back on it until it quieted down, then he had them aknowledge their dog. It seemed to work wonders for them. Glad that it seems to have also worked for you. As far as Cali getting overly excited when others come over, I suppose you could have them do the same thing that you have done, I don't see why it wouldn't work the same way.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Make a pretty little note and post it on the outside of your door that reads:

Dog Rules:
No Touch
No Talk
No Eye Contact
THANKS!

...and previous posters are right! never give affection when the dog is going nuts, wait until he/she's in a calm submissive state and then you can pet and say hello :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What do you think about when we bring her over to our friend's homes? We do that a lot and she's so excited to be there. Same thing? Ask everyone to ignore her?
We've been crating her and letting her out after she calms down, but she still acts pretty nutty.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I would say same thing when you visit friends. Try to ignore her, and if that doesn't work, put her in a time out in the crate. Really though the biggest "punishment" to a pup is witholding attention. She'll quickly get the message that she needs to be calm before she'll get any loving. :)

·
Registered
216 Posts
When Inca was little, I had to put my son and his family off from visiting us from London, because she jumped all over the place and nipped whilst she was doing it. I had little V shaped cuts all over my long sleeved T shirts. Well you can only go so long without seeing your grandchildren so we bit the bullet and invited them again.

This time I asked them to take no notice of Inca when they came in and to back this up, I kept her on a long lead, wrapped round my waist. She could only go where I went. My husband answered the door, brought in all the bags, made everyone a cup of tea (all the usual visiting things) and I sat further into the house with Inca. When she calmed down, we moved nearer, but still no one was allowed to fuss her. We kept this up till she was calm and without fuss, let her off the lead. Everything was OK so long as the children were not allowed to jump around and wind her up. As we were using the living room floor as a make shift bedroom, the dogs were caged in the same room, so in the morning they could see some of the visitors whilst still caged. I let them out for a pee, carefully walking over the visitors and allowing the dogs to rub against our sleeping guests (my grandson and his dad, who were so dead asleep, they didn't notice), brought them back in from the garden and carried on their own little routine. There were occasional slip ups but the week went by so fast, with 2 calm little dogs enjoying everyone's company. Result.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If it were me- first think I would do is train her to laydown and stay any time someone knocks/rings a door bell. This way you can greet your visitors in while Cali is in her "spot" and tell them not to acknowlage her until you release her from 'stay'. After a minute or two allow her to come and greet. By this time she should have gotten over the excitment and be able to calmly greet your guests. It's a great idea to have her spot be a rug or something you can bring with you so you can employ the 'stay' when you visit other peoples homes. Of course you will have to do this slowly. This technique also works well for any time you need to open the door and don't want the dogs in your way, or bolting into the road. If you are concerned about giving too many treats, a GREAT way to work this in is don't give 'treats', but use your dogs regular dog food. Take a handful out of his/her usual daily food allowance to use for 'treats' then you aren't giving junk.

Start by having someone come over to help you. Tell them the "rules" no eye contact, no speaking, no aknowlagment of ANY kind. Have them do this just as if it were any other visit -knock/doorbell- and have Cali go to her spot. Have her sit/lay and tell her 'stay', 'wait' whatever you prefer, and slowly go to answer the door. If she gets off the spot, immediately go and correct her, telling her again sit/lay and then stay/wait, go to the door, and if she gets up immediatly close it, and repeat sit/stay sequence until you are able to have your guest come in and sit on the couch or what every you prefer without Cali getting off the mat before you signal her to do so.

If you havn't begun 'stay' command, then obviously that is the first step, but teaching her with her 'spot' will help her recognize her boundaries-where she has to 'stay'. I'm teaching this to my dogs...well MY dog, Sampson, (poodle) and my husband's idiot dog, Zeus, (not sure what he is, but what ever it is it's big, drooly and dumb as dirt), who bolts out the door running over anyone/thing in his way when the door is open. It's comming slowly, I have to train them individually since they are more interested in playing when they are together.

I know this works-I've seen it first hand, but you MUST be consistant and realize it will take time. Untill then, keep Cali on leash when you are visiting or having guests over. This will give you control over her until you are able to make some headway with the training

Best of Luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts