Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! As I have mentioned in another thread, I will be getting my toy poodle Zuko around September 21 (8wks) and I have been preparing for his arrival. I am a grad student who live in a college town at an apartment with a lot of younger college students and dogs. My apartment is similar to a one story cottage/house with a porch (no roomates) - everything is open no fences. I am concerned about taking Zuko out to potty so young when there are so many dogs around who I have noticed "release" around my house frequently. In 2 hours i noted 5 dogs come by (with their owners) who "released" near my house. When i receive him he will be up on his shots but I just don't want him to get sick. Am I overreacting or should i consider other alternatives like a grass potty pad for my porch until he gets older :cautious:? ( I will not be using the traditional potty pads inside the house)

·
Premium Member
6,561 Posts
You shouldn't be taking your not fully vaccinated pup into places with other dogs, and at 8 weeks your pup will not be fully vaccinated, also toy pups should not have more than one vaccination at a time it is very hard on them, vaccines should be spread out with at least to three weeks in between you can sicken your pup or kill them when they are that small.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You shouldn't be taking your not fully vaccinated pup into places with other dogs, and at 8 weeks your pup will not be fully vaccinated, also toy pups should not have more than one vaccination at a time it is very hard on them, vaccines should be spread out with at least to three weeks in between you can sicken your pup or kill them when they are that small.
That definitely was my main concern! He will basically be confined to inside and my porch because of where I live and his age. The vet (who is also one of my professors at the vets school here lol) that he will be going to upon his arrival mentioned something similar when I made his appointment.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I actually wish that I had litter box trained/pad trained Sammy. When I first got him, I was 100% about potty training outdoors. I was worried that if I tried two different methods, it would confuse him. I followed a very strict schedule, never let him have an accident inside and he was about 90% reliable within 10 days. By the third week he was home, he was 100% reliable, went to the door and announced he needed to go out ( pls. know I took off of work and did nothing but train/spend time with Sammy for 2 weeks ).

Now that he is older ( 1 1/2 yrs.), I look back on how easy potty training was and how smart he is. Poodles truley are hyper intelligent dogs. I think I went over-board, as it took my second mini aussie about a year to be reliably housetrained.

The main reasons I wish i had litter box/pad trained Sammy:

It rains alot where I am. Sammy does NOT like to go out in the rain and I do NOT like dealing with drying /combing out his fur everytime he goes out to poop/pee in bad weather. I tried taking an umbrella out with us, but he is suspicious of the umbrella and even covered, doesn't like heavy rain/wind. Due to this, in bad weather, he will "hold it" for much longer than I think healthy.

I am a first time poodle owner. I know all dogs are different, but I think if I had started teaching Sammy to poop/pee in a litter pan/pads AND outside, I could have removed the litter pan, only bringing it out for him when it was raining/snowing etc. It might have taken a bit longer, but poodles are so smart and most, easily housetrained early.

He literally looks outside to see what the weather is like before exiting the house, so I think he would have rapidly understood that if it's raining heavily or snowing and I put the pan/tray down, he could go in there. But, I missed that chance.

Sorry for the ramble, but concisely, if I had it to do over, I would have given him an indoor option and pressed the outdoor option to eliminate as first choice. My previous dogs may have been confused by this, but I do not think it would have confused Sammy at all.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
He's likely to be 6 months or even older before his GI and urinary systems are mature enough to recognize the urge to go and physically be able to hold it til you can get him out. Til then it'll be your job to "catch" him before he eliminates unavoidably. Until you're cleared for paws-on-the-ground, the grass patch potty pad sounds like a really good compromise. Transitioning him to the outside might be easier with those. Some have trouble switching, some don't.

Just noticing too that he'll only be 8 wks when he comes home.Toys are usually kept with the breeder, mom, and siblings if any, til about 10 wks old, but these are unusual times. How lucky for you both to have a good relationship with your vet/prof before Zuko arrives! Now you've got PF too :).

Reactions: Mfmst

·
Super Moderator
5,286 Posts
I'm not a fan of pee pads, because I've struggled with dogs that equate soft things with potty time. But I think a dog-appropriate litterbox set-up would be great. It's a clearly designated space, not easy to confuse with everyday indoor surfaces, and so convenient. If you could line it with real grass/sod, even better!

·
Registered
12,499 Posts
I woud definitely go with a clearly identified toilet space on your porch, and perhaps an x-pen to keep visiting dogs away from it. A shallow tray with a shallow layer of cat litter would be my recommendation, something that could easily be duplicated indoors. An indoor alternative for a toy dog can be a great blessing in years to come - 3am diarrhoea, snowstorms, high rise living, who knows what may be in your future together!

Reactions: tyraflenoy

·
Registered
40 Posts
I live in an apt complex and there's a good ~15-20 pups that use the same 3 groups of grass to relieve themselves that are about 15x15 ft.

My Dad logic was that Basil had her first set of shots & was breastfed when I got her at 8 weeks so it's not like she's completely sterile... I would (and still do) wipe her paws and feet with a wet gym towl everytime we return to the apt for the sake of clenliness.

I got tired of cabin fever after the first 3 days and we would go walking on the residential sidewalks.. After second set of vaccines with my vet, I gave the okay for her to play-date with our sitters 6mo Boston terrier.

She's 18 weeks old and still alive shrug

I keep her away from the public dog park, but we walk around town on leash and go to the human parks on leash.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I wouldn’t do potty pads inside. A grass pad on the porch would be PERFECT! I was super concerned too when I brought my pup home since there are dogs next door and all over the neighborhood. Using potty pads means you’ll have to potty train twice 😫

·
Registered
7,269 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,369 Posts
I have toy poodles and use only potty pads.

"In an ideal situation, a vaccination would be given just before the maternal antibodies are completely gone, but before the puppy is exposed to the disease-causing virus or bacterium." (link)

So no, don't worry yourself to death. Puppy should have some maternal protection combined with it's first vaccination after a week. To be on the safe side, by a week after his 2nd vaccination, he should be fine to run around on the grass and to socialize with other dogs.

Meanwhile...

I'd give a huge "No" to using a paper or grass potty pad on the porch for these reasons.

1) Your pup will remember this area was permissible. Weeks or months later when you no longer use pads, you may sitting on your porch, enjoying the day, with your homework or snacks. 🌞🥪 You look down and he's peed on it or the paper towels you were using.

2) Eliminating on a pad is not always precise. They can pee or poop near or on the edge which will leak onto the floor, leaving a scent which may cause them to return there even where there's no pad.

3) Pee is the Internet message board for dogs. They communicate with each other that they were there, what they ate, their testosterone level, and for male dogs, even their height by how high they lift their leg. Dogs are nosey too. They'll figure out there's a new pup in the neighborhood and check out the scent around your house. If they smell it's pee scent on your porch, they'll leave a "message" they received it. 🐶🐩

What you could do while he builds up his immunity is try using a pee pad on the sidewalk or grass or in your bathroom which is easy to clean. Also call the closest area vet and especially the animal shelter, and ask about any parvo outbreaks in your area.

Good luck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts