Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sammy just had his annual vet visit. He got a completely clean bill of health and was complimented on his pearly-white teeth and amicable behavior during the exam.

The vet said he is 9 lbs. and 13 1/2 inches tall. He looks square to me, with delicate bone structure. Should I be worried about this? He is very active/fast outdoors. We have been dabbling in agility and he is good at it. I'm worried that his legs are too long/fragile for this sport. Every time he does agility, I hold my breathe, hoping something bad doesn't happen. Maybe I'm too over-protective? When he is wet, his leg bones look like shish-ka-bob skewers.

Otherwise, we are doing beautifully. My 13 yr.old aussie isn't being aggressive toward Sammy anymore ( but I NEVER leave the two alone) and Sammy is the dream dog of my life.

He wants to do agility and he loves obedience training. He loves anything that involves us working together. I'm just always so worried he will get hurt. Is the discrepancy between 9 lbs. and 13 1/2 inches tall cause for concern?

·
Registered
6,508 Posts
How old is Sammy ?

9 lbs is not such a bad weight for 13 1/2 inches high. I have a male that is 11 inches high and 6 pounds and my female is 12 inches and about 7,5 lbs.

My female has nice, bigger bones, but my male looks frqgile. I wouldn’t make him do agility, he doesn’t even jump on furniture. He also has subluxating medial patellas so that settles it. My female would have been great, but I’m the one who can’t do it.

Go with your instinct. These little toys can sometimes be fragile, but other times they can follow the parade no problem.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Toys tend to have fine bone structure even when they are oversize, so I think that's probably a perfectly fine weight for an oversize toy.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sammy is 17 months old. He is not neutered, and I'm actually thinking it is best to keep him intact. My previous dogs have been neutered. After much research, I'm thinking it's best for him to not go this path
I've had his legs evaluated and 2 vets said patellas look great. I'm worried about causing problems if we continue with agility. He is very sedatary in the house, but wow, he takes those leaps etc. like crazy on the course. Lightning speed and jumps several feet high. I think my biggest problem is that my trainer thinks things are safe that I do not. She is used to working with bigger dogs.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Raindrops - Thank you. I was worried that he weighed low in comparision to height. Sammy is very fine boned. He is fed a diet of good quality kibble and boiled chicken. Sammy is not food motivated and does not over-eat. I just worry (I guess too much) about him.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts