Poodle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everybody,

I have a 9 month old female Spoo. Am after anybody's experience with Ovariectomy surgery as a form of desexing. Also at what age was it performed ? I'm concerned about incontinence forming with a normal desexing procedure where the uterus is also taken along with the ovaries.

Thanks,
Gail

·
Registered
8,468 Posts
I watch a lot of vet shows and it is often said that 25% or more of unspayed females (intact uterus) will develop pyometra at some point in her life.

I wouldn’t do an ovariectomy on a dog for fear of incontinence. Incontinence is very rare. Pyometra is not.

·
Premium Member
6,961 Posts
No personal experience but if I was considering an alternative to traditional spay, I'd most likely choose the ovary sparing spay (OSS) to keep hormones thru maturity for full body systems development and look into removing the uterus only.
That removes possibility of pregnancy and pyometra but leaves the ovaries (or single ovary).

In either the traditional spay or OSS, I'd wait til my pup was fully matured or had been thru at least one heat.

Reactions: Dechi

·
Premium Member
6,961 Posts
Doing some quick research on appearance and incidence of USMI in traditional spay and there are indications that dogs expected to weigh over 25kg have reducing odds of developing acquired incontinence for every month waited til at least 1 year old.

This was my search topic:
spay incontinence related to age at surgery

I only look at medical sites and latest published studies for info.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.