Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Zeke, sometimes can get past me, but I can always end up figuring out what he is doing. You all know that over the past several weeks he has been sick and injured at the same time.

Over the last 2+ weeks, the illness is totally gone, but, he has been having the occasional discomfort in his neck. I give him Carprofen and usually within 20-30 minutes he is fine. Ha!

Sunday evening, he was uncomfortable, looked sad (no trembling), and overall like he wasn’t feeling good. So I gave him his medicine, (I wrap the piece in a little bit of cheese). I fully expected him to settle on his cot and relax for a little while.

(Here it comes...). Not even a minute after he got his medicine, he was in his big bed rolling around, wiping his mouth off in the bed, grrring at himself as he was having too much fun, and then got his monkey and wanted me to play tug! I’d been had!

Not to be outdone, I just waited him out, and sure enough, this afternoon (2days later), he started acting like he wasn’t feeling well again. So I mushed a piece of cheese together, shook the pill bottle, and told him to take his medicine. He ate the cheese (with no pill), and within just a few seconds was trotting around with his tail back up, lol.

So see? He knew what he was doing. I’ll no longer be rewarding his little acts. He only trembles when his neck really does hurt and I’ll judge by that.

But yes, indeed, he outsmarted me. Pffffft

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
Zeke, sometimes can get past me, but I can always end up figuring out what he is doing. You all know that over the past several weeks he has been sick and injured at the same time.

Over the last 2+ weeks, the illness is totally gone, but, he has been having the occasional discomfort in his neck. I give him Carprofen and usually within 20-30 minutes he is fine. Ha!

Sunday evening, he was uncomfortable, looked sad (no trembling), and overall like he wasn’t feeling good. So I gave him his medicine, (I wrap the piece in a little bit of cheese). I fully expected him to settle on his cot and relax for a little while.

(Here it comes...). Not even a minute after he got his medicine, he was in his big bed rolling around, wiping his mouth off in the bed, grrring at himself as he was having too much fun, and then got his monkey and wanted me to play tug! I’d been had!

Not to be outdone, I just waited him out, and sure enough, this afternoon (2days later), he started acting like he wasn’t feeling well again. So I mushed a piece of cheese together, shook the pill bottle, and told him to take his medicine. He ate the cheese (with no pill), and within just a few seconds was trotting around with his tail back up, lol.

So see? He knew what he was doing. I’ll no longer be rewarding his little acts. He only trembles when his neck really does hurt and I’ll judge by that.

Dogs outsmart us way too many times! You just put another notch on his Kong!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dogs outsmart us way too many times! You just put another notch on his Kong!!!

Lol. It does happen all too much, although after six years I’ve pretty well got his numbers!

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
At least he has a match in smartness, you caught his trick quickly. Silly boy.

·
Registered
450 Posts

these dogs are scary smart

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
I think he inherited his smarts from you. LOL. That's incredible. How entertaining. I'm he seems to be on the mend...at least for the most part. And having a wee of a time.:angel:

Reactions: jojogal001

·
Registered
392 Posts
What a smart & clever boy :) Have you ever thought about using it for fun? I once had a Doberman who learned if he limped he got special treatment except if I wrapped the wrong leg, he would shift to limping on that one. So I put a command to it & trained him to do it on cue. Back then I trained in a park that backed up to a nursing home. The residents loved it when we put on little mini skits (generally like old Westerns). He would ham it up being shot with a finger pistol, if anyone would 'gasp' like he'd been hurt he'd raise up & woof softly at them so they knew he was playing. We had more fun with that & it started out just as your dog. A real injury & here I am fretting & stewing & worried over my poor dog... only to find out I'd been had. Limping & sad-face are different but you might have some fun with it considering he's working for that cheese LOL If they're willing to put the effort forth, I figure put a command on it & have a little fun with it if you can.

I'm glad he's feeling better enough that he only needs the cheese :)

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Cute story reminds me of one when I was a child. I can't remember which dog we had at the time but he hurt his paw pad and my dad patched him up. He must have got a lot of extra attention and treats too while saying oh does your paw hurt. As later he would come up to you limping with a hurt paw that wasn't hurt anymore just for that extra time & treat. LOL These pups are so darn smart. I am glad that Zeeke is not hurting.

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What a smart & clever boy :) Have you ever thought about using it for fun? I once had a Doberman who learned if he limped he got special treatment except if I wrapped the wrong leg, he would shift to limping on that one. So I put a command to it & trained him to do it on cue. Back then I trained in a park that backed up to a nursing home. The residents loved it when we put on little mini skits (generally like old Westerns). He would ham it up being shot with a finger pistol, if anyone would 'gasp' like he'd been hurt he'd raise up & woof softly at them so they knew he was playing. We had more fun with that & it started out just as your dog. A real injury & here I am fretting & stewing & worried over my poor dog... only to find out I'd been had. Limping & sad-face are different but you might have some fun with it considering he's working for that cheese LOL If they're willing to put the effort forth, I figure put a command on it & have a little fun with it if you can.

I'm glad he's feeling better enough that he only needs the cheese :)

You know, that is how I have taught him a lot of things... just stuff he would start on his own. But I think it would be an awful lot of fun to try. Now the problem is to see if he’s going to do it again. I think I’ll try saying things, and talking to him like, I did when he really was hurting. Maybe that will spark him to act out? Hmmm.

·
Registered
392 Posts
It's a lot of fun to see what we can do with these smarty pants dogs :)

On a side note, if anyone is interested in a book about a crazy smart dog, read the book Chaser. It's about a Border Collie who learned over 1000 words. I'm toying with some of the techniques mentioned.

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
On a side note, if anyone is interested in a book about a crazy smart dog, read the book Chaser. It's about a Border Collie who learned over 1000 words. I'm toying with some of the techniques mentioned.

I’d love to read that book! I think I’ll see if they have it on Kindle. Thanks for the suggestion!

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Ive gone through the first chapters in this book, and it’s amazing! First off, it’s written very well. It’s a nicely paced read, and educational, interesting and entertaining. It’s interesting to see a couple methods he used training Chaser, and before him a border collie/ GSD mix, and I eagerly await to find out the different ones he has used. In the first chapter he shows how dogs can be told something with two words and the dog recognizes both word and and complete a command in full understanding. So on a personal note...

From the time Zekefur was a puppy, I named all his toys. Hedgehog, rattle, monkey, etc. he would always bring whichever one I asked for. One day out of the blue I asked him to bring me his ‘red squeaky ball’ and imitated the sound of the squeak. At this time I had about 4-5 different types of balls, and 5 different colors of the same type of squeaky balls. I was on the phone when I asked for it, and quickly forgot about it.

Within five minutes, I heard him do his (mom I want attention) yip. I looked at him and my heart skipped a beat: he had his red squeaky ball! It freaked me out! A little while later, after telling him the coordinating color of each Kong squeaky ball, I began asking for them by color And he does that.

I am really interested in finding out what I can teach him with the, many I’m sure, things that will be talked about in this book.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ive gone through the first chapters in this book, and it’s amazing! First off, it’s written very well. It’s a nicely paced read, and educational, interesting and entertaining. It’s interesting to see a couple methods he used training Chaser, and before him a border collie/ GSD mix, and I eagerly await to find out the different ones he has used. In the first chapter he shows how dogs can be told something with two words and the dog recognizes both word and and complete a command in full understanding. So on a personal note...

From the time Zekefur was a puppy, I named all his toys. Hedgehog, rattle, monkey, etc. he would always bring whichever one I asked for. One day out of the blue I asked him to bring me his ‘red squeaky ball’ and imitated the sound of the squeak. At this time I had about 4-5 different types of balls, and 5 different colors of the same type of squeaky balls. I was on the phone when I asked for it, and quickly forgot about it.

Within five minutes, I heard him do his (mom I want attention) yip. I looked at him and my heart skipped a beat: he had his red squeaky ball! It freaked me out! A little while later, after telling him the coordinating color of each Kong squeaky ball, I began asking for them by color And he does that.

I am really interested in finding out what I can teach him with the, many I’m sure, things that will be talked about in this book.

I remember him picking out each of the toys she asked for!! We were on FaceTime at the time and I got to see it...the toys were in different places so it was amazing to watch him!

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
We learned Buck was a manipulative opportunist with the potty bells we had at the door when he was a puppy. That took me a while because I never had a smart dog before and I didn’t want any accidents inside. Owned! Glad Zeke is feeling well enough to try and con ya:)

·
Registered
392 Posts
THAT is so cool! And even more fun cigoehring78 got to see it. It's more fun when you have someone to be astonished with :) Dogs always amaze me. I don't think many of us tap into the deeper brilliance of the dogs we live with.

I have always been fascinated with just how far a person can take a dog in training & this book is a wonderful look in what can happen. My dogs usually know 'front door' vs 'back door'. You can ask my Giant in the p.m. if she wants breakfast & she'll give you a dirty look. She knows breakfast is morning food, dinner dinner is evening food. My poor dogs have had to work in silence with me because allergies steals my voice several times a years so I do a lot of hand signals or clicks or whistles. One thing I can say for certain is my dogs are very reliable when I'm not well. But I'm going to start tinkering with some of what I've learned in the book myself & see what Mr. Layne can do. It'll give us something constructive to do. It's a cool book for certain

1 - 20 of 20 Posts