Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our standard puppy arrived Tuesday morning, and she has been absolutely great so far. After much deliberation, we decided to name her Siouxsie (pronounced like "Suzy", but with fancy spelling) - Ash's-Mystical Siouxsie is her registered name. Since she came from out of state, we met her at the airport, where she had been brought by a very nice lady who took her and another poodle bound for Denver on the plane with her.

Most of Tuesday, she napped and poked around the house and the yard. Cooper, my 4-yo terrier mix, is not terribly pleased with a new dog in the house - he tolerates her, and once in a while will engage in some play chasing, but he has not been what I would call friendly. Up until now, all the comfy spots in the house have been exclusively his, and he's not keen to share. Hopefully after some time he will grow to enjoy her company, but for now we at least haven't had any problems.

Siouxsie already is pretty well house-trained - she goes as soon as I take her outside, and thus far we've only had one accident in the house. I just need to learn her schedule a little better and I don't think we'll have too many incidents.

I have her sleeping in a crate next to our bed, and next to Cooper's bed on the floor. She whines for a few moments when we put her in the crate, but quiets down quickly. The first night, she woke me at 2:30am, so I took her outside, she did her thing, and we went right back to sleep. Last night she slept from 10:30pm all the way until I had to get up for work at 5:00am.

She's been eating plenty and drinking lots of water. She loves playing with her toys even when we're not actively participating, which is great. Her favorite thing so far is a pig's ear, which I set aside for moments when I really want her to be busy for a while. She's really coming out of her shell, and this morning she was trying to eat my socks when I was getting ready for work. Man, those teeth are sharp!

I don't want to jinx anything, but I am really pleased with what a good puppy she has been so far. I'm sure we'll have some problems and frustrations as we go down the road, but she's off to a great start and we are very pleased.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,895 Posts
So cute !

I like the spelling (Siouxsie and the Banshees) but you are going to have to spell her name everywhere you go that she has a chart, lol !

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So cute !

I like the spelling (Siouxsie and the Banshees) but you are going to have to spell her name everywhere you go that she has a chart, lol !
Ugh, no kidding. It started already at the vet's office yesterday!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
What a precious and GOOD girl! I adore her name :) One of my dear poodle friends is named Suzy :D

I'm very impressed with everything I hear about Ash's Mystical dogs. They seem extremely well raised and well adjusted.

Just wanted to say about the pig ears--there have been many recalls lately due to salmonella! I don't give them to any of my dogs anyway because they are so greasy and high in fat and I worry about pancreatitis. Buffalo or cow ears that are well sourced, or bully sticks, are much better, imho.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Aww, what a beauty!! Good to hear she is doing so well with her transition home :)

My previous dogs ate pig ears as well, but I have found, as MF said, that there are some better and safer options. I have been giving dehydrated fish skins to Miracle and she loves them! I give her the small cod skins and it takes her about an hour to finish. Of course, she is 7...so no baby teeth :)

Here are the links to what I give:
https://www.chewy.com/honest-kitchen-beams-ocean-chews-cod/dp/179523
https://www.chewy.com/honest-kitchen-beams-ocean-chews/dp/138680

·
Premium Member
23,150 Posts
It sounds like you all are off to a splendid start. Your older dog will come around but be prepared to have to be patient. In virtually every picture of Lily and javelin together for the first six months he was part of the crew she is clearly trying to pretend he doesn't exist!

I am with MaizieFrosty on the pig's ears for one additional reason is that they are greasy and will leave marks on fabrics. I also don't want the dog to get a big dose of fat. I use buffalo ears.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the tips about pig's ears. Actually I starting looking at photos online, and I think it is actually a cow's ear that we have. I got it from the breeder in her bag of toys and paperwork and such, I just assumed it was from a pig, but it looks more like a cow's ear.

·
Registered
30 Posts
MaizieFrosty, I can also personally vouch for Ash's Mystical Poodles. I adopted a toy from her back in 1999. She and her sister had been held back to show but Miss Millie grew 1/4 inch too tall to show. She was 8-9 months (can't remember now) when I got her. Super calm, beautifully put together (she got compliments from strangers, vet, etc) and was not afraid of anything. Super social. Marie breeds great dogs!

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Aww Siouxsie is gorgeous! So happy for you and your family and sounds like you have a good handle on puppy training 101.

·
Registered
43 Posts
MaizieFrosty, I can also personally vouch for Ash's Mystical Poodles. I adopted a toy from her back in 1999. She and her sister had been held back to show but Miss Millie grew 1/4 inch too tall to show. She was 8-9 months (can't remember now) when I got her. Super calm, beautifully put together (she got compliments from strangers, vet, etc) and was not afraid of anything. Super social. Marie breeds great dogs!
Congrats to the OP, she is a gorgeous girl!!

Another Marie fan here... this time in the mini size... ?Our Teddy who has just turned two is from there as well. He came to us at 10 weeks and is a happy, outgoing noodle.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
What a beautiful pup! It sounds like you are off to a wonderful start! Happy Puppyhood!

Reactions: Eric

·
Registered
126 Posts
Congrat! Wishing you lots of happy time together. Siouxsie looks so cute! I too am a fan of Ash's. We got our minipoo from Marie 6 months ago and have been happy with our pup.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Congratulations- she’s a cutie!

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
She’s a gorgeous puppy.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Congrat! Wishing you lots of happy time together. Siouxsie looks so cute! I too am a fan of Ash's. We got our minipoo from Marie 6 months ago and have been happy with our pup.
Congratulations to you too! I felt like we made a great decision in choosing Marie.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Siouxsie is adorable and gorgeous. Congrats on the new family member. It sounds like you're off to a good start.

(I had to copy/paste her name...couldn't remember how to spell it) haha. Cute name though. :act-up:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts