Poodle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 5 month old girl stuck her head under the LaZBoy footrest and couldn't get it out!! We couldn't either and were afraid of choking her. We ended up going to our neighbors who helped us saw her out. She was really good most of the time and stayed very calm after her initial panic. Almost called for the jaws of life!! She licked everybody when she was finally freed and was very happy!!

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Me too - we really weren't sure what to do - can you call 911 for a dog? We thought about calling the fire dept or the vet... then we thought of our neighbors. They're Drs so we thought they could maybe help us - it took 3 of us to saw her out and protect her from struggling, etc. It was really upsetting!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
OMG that would be SO scary !!! So glad she is okay!! It reminds me of the time our Great Dane Puppy got his Jaw stuck on one of the wires of his crate and we couldn't get him unstuck, he was crying and moving around , but luckly he got himself unstuck! :)

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
You know I've heard of infants and toddlers getting caught in those Lazy Boys so I guess they can be potential deathtraps for poodles too. I'm sure glad you had the presence of mind to extricate your poor little poo! That "Lazy Boy sure got a workout. Is your hubby in mourning over it being dismantled?? And yes, I think if you called the police they might refer you to the fire department. Many, many years back when I was just out of college and living in an apartment with a good girlfriend we came home to find a bat flying around our living room. We said to one another we were "big girls" who couldn't call their fathers in the middle of the night for such a thing so we called the cops. The first duo to arrive phoned for "back up" and before you know it we had three cop cars outside our place. We almost lost our lease (the landlady was humorless and thought the worst) but my roommate got asked out by one of the cops so we figured it was worth it. Really glad your sweet little girl is okay!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had never heard of LaZBoy accidents!! Actually, my hubby and I were each sitting in a LaZboy when it happened - it never occurred to me she would stick her head in there. I had her tethered to the chair. She was sniffing around and then suddenly she was frantically pawing and scratching. After our neighbor sawed it, my husband screwed it back together and Voila! it is fixed. We're going to put something over the openings under the footrest so she can't do it again.
Love the bat story.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I'm very glad to hear she is okay! I would have never thought about that happening...but it's something I will always remember and keep it in mind when small pups are around.

Thank you for sharing and bringing this concern to others. I imagine quite a few of us have never considered it.

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
jwinks, Just want to say again how very glad I am your darling poo wasn't seriously injured, or worse. There's info on accidents with recliners (Recliners and Lift Chairs) but nothing you need be concerned further about because you're aware of the potential harm they could pose. As I thought more about it, I wasn't certain whether the LaZy Boy brand/manufacturer in particular was one of the problem designs. Still, a good thing to know that even the most ordinary things around the house (or yard) can pose a problem for our pets and kids. I am glad the chair has been restored. And good for you for tethering your poo pup, the accident was just a freak thing. Kids and pets sure put you through a lot, don't they?!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
jwinks, Just want to say again how very glad I am your darling poo wasn't seriously injured, or worse. There's info on accidents with recliners (Recliners and Lift Chairs) but nothing you need be concerned further about because you're aware of the potential harm they could pose. As I thought more about it, I wasn't certain whether the LaZy Boy brand/manufacturer in particular was one of the problem designs. Still, a good thing to know that even the most ordinary things around the house (or yard) can pose a problem for our pets and kids. I am glad the chair has been restored. And good for you for tethering your poo pup, the accident was just a freak thing. Kids and pets sure put you through a lot, don't they?!!
Chagall's Mom - Thank you for taking the time to look this up and post. I read it and was horrified. Wow - you're right! Maybe it's time to put the old Boyz out to pasture!!!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Wow, that's crazy! Glad to hear everything turned out ok. It would never occur to me that it could be an issue, but it makes sense...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts