Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is our story.. also my first post..

It has been a month since we got our poodle.

She is almost 4 years old.

She used to be a kennel dog for 3 years...

Her parents were show dogs.. So i am assuming that she didn't meet the standards for showing... or something...

so she was adopted to a nice family, but they couldn't handle a 3 year old puppy.. since we was kenneled for so long, her behaviour with kids and other dogs were horrible..

the family contacted local poodle standard rescue..

and me and my wife were the lucky couple to have her in our family!

So far she's had a few accidents.. and she is getting used to live with other dogs.. and being socialized a lot! and she is getting better now!

her name is Drea

and here are our other dogs!

Lhasa apso(the black one..) & Maltese

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
She still has some issues with not listening at the dog park..(i know all dogs struggle.. but she is different... really not listening)..

and she literally kills all her stuffy toys..

i'd love to play fetch with her.. but she doesn't like the ball...:S

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Sorry but your pics are not showing up.

What a lovely thing to do to save this girl. She will settle and learn in time. I dont know why ppl have to kennel their dogs and not train them in anyway. It must be horrible to live like that for the poor dog.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Many breeders have too may dogs. They don't get socialized for a regular dog life and only know a backyard. Then when they get placed later they don't know how to behave. Thank goodness there are people like you around. Glad to hear you took her in.

·
Registered
93 Posts
She is beautiful!!

My Grandma took in a kennel dog (Mini schnauzer) who lived in a kennel at the breeders for 5 years. She had been shown and bred, and always kept really thin for show... she looked like death when my Grandma adopted her.

It took a good solid year to train her not to scarf her food without swallowing, but now she will sit before she eats and wait for a command to tell her it's OK... She does plenty of tricks and is a very smart and loving girl. She was very skiddish for a couple years and loud noises still scare her... and cameras for some reason? But she doesn't have accidents anymore and she is very well behaved.

What I'm getting at is that with hard work and dedication you can bring out the best in any dog... You are a very special person to take on a challenge like that and it sounds like your dog is a very special girl! Good luck!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Drea still DRINKS her food..

however we trained her to sit before she eats.. and we give her a OK then she eats..

I know it is really bad.. but I do not have a clue how to fix it..

Everytime she eats.. I am worried she will get bloated..

She is very obsessed with food and card boards..

But I see her improving every day..

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
If You Don't Already Do It, Feed Her Elevated. I Believe They Digest The Food Better When Fed Elevated.

She Really Is A Good Looking Girl. She Has A Long Muzzle Which Ive Been Told Is Something To Appreciate In Poodle's. The Longer The Muzzle The Better....thats What Im Told.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I wondered about feeding elevated because in the poodle book I just bought it said not to feed the Standards elevated...something to do with bloat. But I don't understand why that would make a difference. Maybe someone else on here could explain their thoughts on that?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A little incident happened today at the dog park.

Me and my bro. in law went to the dog park.(our wives are in BC)

anyhow, They have 2 dogs: Stella (neo. mastiff) and Raven (am. staff x lab). And their dogs are nice, have never been aggressive towards any dogs..(I've known them for 5 years now..)

Raven is VERY VERY obssessed with fetching the ball..

Raven was playing fetch like everyday, and Drea loves to chase anything that runs(which I haven't been able to train her not to..)...

so Drea ran after Raven as usual.. and they have been playing about 15 minutes.. and all the sudden Raven grabbed Drea's neck and started swinging..

Drea was in so much pain.. she had pretty brutal bite marks. 2 DEEP holes on her neck...

I cleaned her and put some anti-biotic cream..

But I am very upset that this happened...

Raven has never done this before, she loves playing ball with other dogs..

I hope I can figure something out..

I am still a little freaked about this incident.. Hope my post made sense..

·
Registered
627 Posts
Re: "I wondered about feeding elevated because in the poodle book I just bought it said not to feed the Standards elevated...something to do with bloat. But I don't understand why that would make a difference. Maybe someone else on here could explain their thoughts on that?"

I read that because of the deep chest, poodles are susceptible to bloat and the elevated food bowls as well as citric acid in the food has been linked to bloat. I've also read that the studies are not conclusive, so I don't really know what to believe. I've been wondering the same thing.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Oh my goodness, that is horrible!!! Poor girl... Did you take her to the vet? If not, you might want to consider taking her if there's any sign of infection or if she seems excessively tired or sluggish... and in the meantime give her extra praise and affection. That is so sad, and your brother in law must feel terrible!!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hello, My 4 m16 week puppy also inhales his food, one woman suggested putting golf balls in his food that he would have to eat areound - too scary for me - he'd inhale the golf balls. Then another person suggested putting a soup can in the food bowl, they have to eat around it, takes longer. Also, are you feeding twice a day? You can also spread it out on a cookie sheet. My 12 year old Newfie had the same problem, then he did bloat and surgery , etc. We then had to soak his food for every meal. I may try the can myself in the food bowl.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
She is sooo pretty :) What a lovely black coat she has. Glad she has found a good home! I hope she is ok from her issue at the park. Poor Baby, and Poor you! I would have scared me half to death.

I tried to get Jazz to eat from an elevated bowl. I've heard bigger dogs do better that way, but I've also heard to opposite. She prefers to lay down to eat so oh well.

-Leia

1 - 20 of 21 Posts