Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I rescued a white toy poodle. Didn't expect to and I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to this girl. I grew up showing Bearded Collies. Not a complete dog idiot, I'm just used to the big dogs. We also have another rescue, Sadie. Sadie is a yellow Lab. THERE WON'T BE ANYMORE! lol I adore my girls. Our son has named the poodle Peanut Butter. Peanut's personality is fantastic. Very sweet girl. She LOVES my husband. Has some issues with skipping. She has had puppies at some point. I had her spayed 4 weeks ago. Vet guesses her age at 4-7, lots of missing back teeth, could be from diet or lack thereof. I have tons of questions. Biggest being her teeth and grooming. I brush her teeth with a baking soda/water mix but the odor is still just ghastly. I'm debating on having the vet do it. Her coat is very yellowed. Tear staining isn't as bad as it could be. I think if I keep after it, she'll be fine. Her ears, ugh, I hate doing ears. Need some help here! lol Brands of shampoo, what combs to buy, how to do a pet clip (I like the lamb clip)....blah blah blah...

Oh! And the coughing, what is this and is it normal? I have pictures on my profile. The before one is just heartbreaking. Give me a few months, she'll be a beautiful girl!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Welcome! Its awesome that you rescued!

Lets see if I can help any;

For her teeth the bad breath is from her decayed teeth, she needs to go to the vet and have a dental work up done and have any rotten teeth removed and any good ones cleaned.

For the coughing it could be a few things, mainly kennel cough or heartworm both of which your vet can test for.

How do you mean "yellowed"? Seeing how matted she was it could be from urine staining.

You can check out the grooming section for tips on shampoos and the like.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Thanks for rescuing this little doll.
I bet she is happy to be rid of all that matted mess.
Put her on a good high quality food.
Little poos have a tendency to have bad teeth,try giving her a raw beef soup bone to chew on once a week.
For the bad breath try adding some parsley to her food until her teeth issues are handled.
It seems that the vet should do a complete dental and assess the teeth shape.
The cough should be checked out and yes,it could be kennel cough,but could be something more serious as well.
We had a little rescued Maltese long time ago and she(Chantal) had a heart murmur,which made her cough...any heart problems do cause a cough in dogs.
Good luck and keep posting pictures,so we can see the progress.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the good advice! Didn't think of parsley, hmmm. I have her on Nutro (natural choice), small bites with lamb and rice. She was so under weight that for the first month I added canned food. I have since omitted the canned. The vet that spayed her was useless when it came to answers, so I am taking her to another one next week. I didn't want to overwhelm her with too many procedures. I think she is VERY happy to be rid of that horrible mess. She did go thru heartworm treatment before they would let us take her home. Good there. Kennel cough, hmm, going to ask the vet. She seems to do it when she is nervous.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Awww. She looks huge with all of that matted hair. Poor thing. She's really fortunate to have you give her some love and much needed attention.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Thanks for the good advice! Didn't think of parsley, hmmm. I have her on Nutro (natural choice), small bites with lamb and rice. She was so under weight that for the first month I added canned food. I have since omitted the canned. The vet that spayed her was useless when it came to answers, so I am taking her to another one next week. I didn't want to overwhelm her with too many procedures. I think she is VERY happy to be rid of that horrible mess. She did go thru heartworm treatment before they would let us take her home. Good there. Kennel cough, hmm, going to ask the vet. She seems to do it when she is nervous.
She went through heartworm treatment?
Does that mean she tested positive for it?
I am really surprised they did not do dental while she was under for the spay surgery.
I suppose cost would have been a factor.
Anyway,she is a little baby doll and lucky to have you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The vet we went to was more of a livestock guy. Great with large animals but not very knowledgeable about small breeds. I've since found a better vet in another city. (We're in a small town) Here the dogs go thru heartworm treatment before they can be adopted. It's TX. Not certain why they do this. They did it to our Sadie girl too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts