Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wondered if others are starting to have anxiety dreams related to the pandemic, so please feel free to share. I had my first one yesterday evening after awaking from a long nap. All my life I've dreamed of being in or outside of houses, most I've never seen before. In this one, I was outside of my late mother's two story co-op (sorta like a condo building), but it was architecturally a little different. It was pretty place in real life, but even prettier in the dream as it had stained glass windows in the upper-most part of the building. In the dream, I was checking on Christmas lights hanging on the roof gutters.

Specifically, the clips were made of wire rather than plastic in the dream. I examined each one carefully. I found one that should be attached more securely, then worried if all of them should be tightened a little. This was followed by wondering if all these pretty lights could withstand a Category 5 hurricane that could be coming and not being blown away.

I awakened and instantly knew it was related to anxieties about what's going on, how bad it could become and how long that might last. I wondered if there's something else that I (and others, particularly loved ones and people I'm fond of) need to do to metaphorically "tighten up" their wires so they will be safe from any coming storm.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
How haunting, Vita! So cinematic.

I've had what I thought were allergies for a couple of weeks now, but last night the congestion moved abruptly down into my chest. I fell asleep in a state of anxiety.

This resulted in a vivid dream about a pack of coyotes, yipping and howling until it sounded almost musical. They got closer and closer and closer, until abruptly I woke to the harmonic whistling of my wheezing lungs.

·
Super Moderator
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Peggy, this worries me; don't you have a history of mild asthma? How about allergies? If so, in your mind before you sleep again, meditate that you have a pack of huge, ferocious dogs who will chase away those coyotes. And you have a large circle of fire surrounding you, and a guardian angel holding you.

The coyotes represent anxiety and fear, but I'm thinking more likely it was your mind's way of waking you up so you could deal with the wheezing. Something similar once happened to me while hospitalized for serious pancreatitis. A train in a tunnel was coming straight for me, and I was floating in the air, and just barely floated above it as it would have hit me. I looked at the monitors and my blood pressure dropped crazy low it was a miracle I was alive. The nurse came in then and added sodium or something related to salt to my IV bag to bring up my BP again. I think my body warned my mind in that dream that something was terribly wrong and needed immediate action.

I do believe that most fear dreams are just that, that they symbolically represent our worst fears, but sometimes, sometimes, they are warnings for us to be vigilant. Yours and mine are very clear: I fear a Category 5 storm is coming and was examining if everything is secure, and found a possible weakness. I still don't know what that is, if it's about me or a family member (my nephew lives with his elderly mother who I am very fond of, but he's still going to work and goes nuts sitting in the house). And those darn coyotes - we know what those devils represent which are two-fold.

And of course, if symptoms worsen like a cough, sore throat, conjunctivitis, all the stuff we've read about, call your doctor. You're in my prayers.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I like that visualization idea, Vita. Especially that fire. So powerful! I also think it might feel nice to imagine answering the coyotes' call—running with them, working together. Free.

I've had allergy-induced asthma in the past, but only triggered by prolonged exposure to rats. I suspected this was seasonal allergies at first, as so much is now in bloom out here. It would make sense. But over the past couple of weeks it's moved from my nose to my throat and now to my chest.

Still, I'm telling myself now is not the time to seek care for symptoms that wouldn't typically be alarming. I'm being watchful for any symptoms that might signal an emergency.

Nighttime always flares up respiratory symptoms and it's easy to get anxious, which in turn restricts breathing. I should be taking steps to relax, rather than reading the day's news. We all should, I suppose.

·
Super Moderator
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
...Still, I'm telling myself now is not the time to seek care for symptoms that wouldn't typically be alarming. I'm being watchful for any symptoms that might signal an emergency...
That's what the media docs have been saying too, just don't wait too long if it worsens too much, okay?

·
Premium Member
9,349 Posts
My dear friend in Maryland shared that she had nightmares last night probably caused by anxiety about C-19, because her son and DIL live in NYC. She phoned them this morning, no answer, followed by a text to her son asking if they were okay. They texted back, that they were fine. She’s vowed not to watch her favorite news shows in the evening and made her son promise to check in more frequently. She told him she didn’t want to become a helicopter parent at this late date. She’s also started doing long solitary walks and admiring Spring.

·
Super Moderator
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
...In the dream, I was checking on Christmas lights hanging on the roof gutters... I examined each one carefully. I found one that should be attached more securely... then wondering if all these pretty lights could withstand a Category 5 hurricane that could be coming.. and need to... metaphorically "tighten up" their wires...

I found it! I found the weak spot! Actually, my daughter did after she watched Skylar's video of how to unpack your groceries safely.

...Since I have working with dangerous contagious material for work, when the coronavirus became a potential in my community, I start to wipe everything down before bringing it into my car or house. I found this video and thought he did a good job....

Baby girl asked me today if I have products like Lysol spray and bleach. I don't. Just lots of Ivory soap bars, dish & laundry detergent, and hand sanitizer. Bleach triggers asthma in me, so I never buy it. In remembering the video and the man's use of a bleach based cleaner, I was aghast.

It's been over a week since I last grocery shopped. When I unpacked, I cleaned off the packaging with a soapy sponge and afterwards the counter top with Joy dishwasher detergent, then threw away the sponge. But I think I was auto-pilot and saved the darn plastic bags w/o thinking about it. Well I'm not sick so I guess I was just lucky that time.

Maybe it was simply a fear dream, or it could have been my unconscious telling me "hey, you're missing something important." I think quite possibly the latter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts