Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Speaking of dog parks, this is my favorite kind. (It's not really a dog park) The poodle boys are best buddies and they really only need each other to play with and explore together. Nobody else around. We had the whole beach to ourselves the whole time, save for one person we passed going the opposite direction and one person in the parking lot.

We took a long walk on the beach, a little further than you can see in the photos...wayyyyyyy down around the corner. It was a tad on the cool side, but not bad...could get by with a sweatshirt, windy and bright but cloudy...sort of. I saw a total of two people at the beach...we were there for about 1-1/2 hours walking way down by the wild life refuge area. The eagles aren't as active now that their babies have grown up, didn't see a single one, but I still watch the skies just in case...mostly there are seagulls. The wind made the water rough and little bit bigger waves than usual. It was very peaceful and refreshing...love the smell of salt air. I had all the time in the world so didn't feel one bit rushed. I call it "my beach"...it's usually pretty vacant except in summer when there are a few people.

Matisse and Maurice are very good about coming and not running too far from me. So they "check in" quite well by default. They started out with their leashes dragging, then I took them off so they could rip roar once I saw no one else was around. When racing around on that trail in the grassy land which is right next to the beach so we can go back and forth from the grassy place to the beach, they get so silly and run, stop and wrestle a little bit, run some more. Boy, did they ever have fun and tired out.

Surf's up!

We got crab!

Beautiful grass land adjacent to the beach and the wild life refuge area. Far to the left of that trail is more water...sort of like a small bay or wet land. It's salt water that comes in from the sound and there are some cool water birds, like blue heron that I love and of course, loads of noisy seagulls.

Anyhow, that was our playground today.:happy:

·
Premium Member
23,243 Posts
Very nice. We wish we could have been there with you.

Reactions: Poodlebeguiled

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bluegirl...yes, woodsy places are wonderful too. Maybe we'll go someplace like that today. I'm glad you have a nice woods to play in. The "ocean" here is not the opened ocean, but Puget Sound. So it's not really very big surf unless it's windy or if you're on a beach where a ferry goes by. lol. But yesterday it was pretty "wild." Haha. Most Puget Sound beaches are rocky...little rocks and sometimes big ones formed from lava and there are interesting things like crabs and clams, oysters...sometimes tidal pools that you can see star fish and anemones in. This beach has both rocky areas and ample sand and drift wood. So it's a nice one. Then that vast grassland along side. The only trouble with this beach is Maurice (especially) likes to find disgusting things to roll in...sometimes dead crabs or other nasties. So he needs a bath today.

Catherine, you must have some beaches near by, no? If you ever go west, you can check it out.

Mufar...glad you liked the photos. To make them bigger, you have to click them. But I figured out, thanks to Vita how to use (sort of still learning) another hosting site since Photobucket sucks! lol. I'd still like to figure out how to make them appear a little bigger, not too much bigger right on the page. Anyhow, now they're not sideways anymore. Woo hoo.

·
Premium Member
23,243 Posts
Our beaches are beautiful white sand beaches facing the Atlantic ocean or pebbly/rocky beaches facing Long Island sound. They are mostly restricted to be dog free in the summer, but potentially accessible in fall and winter. The really nicer ones are about an hour away, so have to be planned for.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Our beaches are beautiful white sand beaches facing the Atlantic ocean or pebbly/rocky beaches facing Long Island sound. They are mostly restricted to be dog free in the summer, but potentially accessible in fall and winter. The really nicer ones are about an hour away, so have to be planned for.

I remember the Jersey shore, as I was born there in NJ. It was awesome....huge beach and white sand. We use to vacation there every summer and also in Maine. I haven't been there forever. But I can imagine how nice you have it. But I guess I understand the no dogs. People just don't pick up after their dogs and these sandy beaches are so nice for people to walk or sunbathe on and you just can't have poop all over. The Seattle beaches don't allow dogs either but they have a wide, asphalt walking path right next to some. But I'm not in a big city, further out, so we don't have that rule here thank goodness. But at least you can go play at this time of year.

Reactions: lily cd re

·
Registered
537 Posts
The beach IS the best dog park! I feel very lucky to have wide open empty beaches near me as well. I firmly believe that ticks are not a problem on these western beaches (if I'm wrong, don't tell me!) so I can relax more. Anyway, thank you so much for sharing these peaceful happy pictures of your very lucky dogs.

Is there a benefit to using a photo hosting site vs just uploading to PF?

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The beach IS the best dog park! I feel very lucky to have wide open empty beaches near me as well. I firmly believe that ticks are not a problem on these western beaches (if I'm wrong, don't tell me!) so I can relax more. Anyway, thank you so much for sharing these peaceful happy pictures of your very lucky dogs.

Is there a benefit to using a photo hosting site vs just uploading to PF?
Thanks Newport. I'm glad you have that too. I don't think there are too many ticks around here but there are some. I haven't seen any on the poodles ever or even the Chihuahuas and my other dogs before them. But I use to pick them off my Lab and the neighbor's dog years ago when I lived in Snohomish but not in Idaho. They got into them a lot where we lived in the country here in Wa. So it's always a good idea to check for them the best you can. Not easy through poodle hair.

If it works for you to go directly from your pictures to pf, then that's easier. I was finding in my case, that my pictures always went on sideways that way. So Vita suggested trying this site called Post Image and so I'm dabbling there...haven't uploaded many pictures yet. But they go on straight. lol.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What a paradise! I have a dog show to attend this weekend, but maybe the following weekend I'll take the dogs to the beach. I think you've inspired me.
Your beaches are pure awesomeness. Be sure to take photos if you go....would love to see your happy dogs enjoying themselves.

Reactions: MaizieFrosty

·
Registered
431 Posts
Oh we used to live somewhat across the sound from you Poodlebeguiled, in White Rock. But now we're way up the province of BC near the southern tip of Alaska

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh wow! You must really be up there! I bet it's b-r-r-r-r-r in the winter. Yes, I see on the map where White Rock is. You really moved "up" in the world. :act-up:

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
What a gorgeous place to walk.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Beautiful pictures! Something very calming about being by the water.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
What a beautiful country we have. I need to win the lottery and buy myself one of those small van type rv's, that hopefully I could handle and hit the road. That would be a dream.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh *gasp!* that's gorgeous BG. What a spectacular lake!

Mufar, that is something I've tossed around too...buying a motor home. I think that would be a lot of fun to go see more of the country but have your own home...so nice for the dogs...no hotels, motels or anything like that. Maybe you can find a used one that's in good shape still. I would like one around 25-27 ft. Apparently if it's under 27 ft you can take it anywhere practically...much easier than those bigger ones. I use to drive a bus for a period of time and I tell you, the mirrors on these bigger rigs are so fantastic that you can see everything. I could parallel park my 33 and then a 44 ft. bus just as easily as my car. It's the same formula and I could have a better view of the curb, behind, everywhere than from my car. You could get onto it no doubt, easily if it's a smaller one like you describe.

·
Super Moderator
3,381 Posts
Bluegirl, that place is breathtaking. A perfect place to regenerate thru the healing of nature, for at least a month. I wouldn't "need" or want the Internet, TV or Netflix, just my poodles, long walks, sitting outdoors and enjoying the views, fishing, reading poetry and creating art.

You are incredibly lucky to experience this anytime you want at this time in your life. That place looks like the perfect retreat, where one can just be themselves with their own thoughts without the background noise and distractions of the world and 21st century civilization problems like politics, wars, crime, job stress, and in particular, information overload.

Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
431 Posts
You're welcome! My favourite thing to do is go for walks with the poodles and let them explore. Now that they're older, it's a more sedate ramble but they still enjoy it very much

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts