Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time for Otter's own thread!

Our latest challenge is the litter of 8-9 wk old Hovawart pups coming to our Wednesday class. Otter is mesmerized with them (and they are parked at the entrance to the ring!). Last week we stood and waited ..and waited..for him to look back at me. He was like a Sporting dog on a bird,sans the point. Not even the liverwurst helped:ahhhhh: I would let him visit with them,but I don't want to upset the mom,either. Generally,I sit way away from everybody and try to keep his focus on me,for the most part.

Did have an "aha" moment this morning-mayhaps the reason Otter is obsessed with the reactive dogs is that they sound like his brother! Che snarls and growls when Otter comes near him (when Che has the ONE toy(ball) he plays with,though I tell Che he is not impressive with a ball in his mouth). Otter thinks they just want to play!!:ahhhhh:

·
Premium Member
23,194 Posts
Yikes, why are these puppies parked at the ring entrance? It seriously doesn't sound like a good socialization opportunity on either side of the crate door.

Getting and keeping attention is really hard and you do need to proof it, but not to try to train it under impossible sounding conditions. I bummed for you guys. I wish you cold come to my class via the Star Trek transporter.

Reactions: Countryboy

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh,even better- they are not in a crate,but in laps or a cart! I don't know whether to introduce them to Otter or just try to keep his attention as best I can or just quit the class until they are gone. (owner has bitches in both our class and the following class,so can't leave the pups alone.)

Sunday he cried at all the dogs (he wants to play so badly) when he wasn't working. For recalls,though.Jess had everyone else put their dogs away.and Otter ROCKETED to me:amen:.

I get discouraged,as at 3, Che had his RE:adore:, and I don't seem to be getting anywhere with Otter (well, as long as there are other dogs around:ahhhhh:) These poodles do things I have never encountered with the whippets!

·
Premium Member
9,702 Posts
I had to look up Hovawart images. I can imagine they would be very distracting to owners and their dogs. Otto is going to have his lightbulb moment, just not when puppies are stealing the spotlight:)

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well,we are down to one puppy (could be a different puppy,as they all look very similar),but Otter is still obsessed,and she is still at the ring entrance:ahhhhh:. Last week was rally,and once he is AWAY from said pup,he is a rockstar:adore: Otter has the ONLY perfect left pivot in the class,' cause it is his favorite sign:angel:. But during sits/down he whined constantly at the puppy from across the ring-held his sit,but the down was pretty bad.

We soldier on!

·
Premium Member
23,194 Posts
I am glad to hear the puppies are mostly gone. The hardest part of this thing is that while you want to proof against distractability at the ring gate and as you enter it should be realistic for the dog to be able to ignore the proof. A well mannered adult dog nearby like an "on deck" dog is one thing, but a wagon full of puppies is entirely unrealistic

Reactions: mashaphan and Mfmst

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Puppies went to their National.so last week was...better. Still distracted by the ringside dogs-I think he is getting bored,too,as there has been a lot more "blowing me off' of late.(we only work of leash at home) Next session of Sunday classes start next week,and I also booked a private session 10/27 to see if we can get Otter to not freak out when I leave his side:2in1:-I have not been able to walk a rally course in months! Since we are about to quit for the winter,I don't want to leave on a bad note!

·
Premium Member
23,194 Posts
Do I recall that you are having Betsy and Linda at your club. If yes, please make sure you go even if you audit for the workshop you will learn lots. It sounds like their train play a game kind of strategy could be really good for your young man.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes.they are to be here the week after the June shows (or the week the shows are normally held). Doubt I will get in as "working"but will definitely go to audit!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts