Poodle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
I have currently been with my Zuko for 2 weeks now and I am interested in exploring different food options for him. He is currently on Royal Canin Small Puppy Dog Food. Eventually, I would like to incorporate fruits, and more raw meats to his diet. I'm seriously considering freeze dried foods as well (stella and chewy/spot and tango).

So far I have explored:
-Orijin Puppy : I read somewhere this may be too high in protein BUT based on the ingredients this is along the lines of what im looking for
-Spot and Tango Unkibbled (curious if anyone else has tried this)

Does anyone have any other suggestions or recipes I can introduce to zuko?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Typically when looking for a good dog food, you’ll want to look at several factors, one of which is high animal protein. Orijin seems decent, although I would agree with you that the protein is too high (typically I would feel comfortable feeding a max of maybe 32% of the overall diet). Another concern of mine is that is a lot of different kinds of meat in that diet—it might be difficult to pin down a reaction if he is allergic to any, and the fact that it contains liver tells me it might be too rich for a puppy. There is also an awful lot of lintels. Here is the dogfoodadviser link if you haven’t seen it already: Orijen Dog Food | Review | Rating | Recalls

For Spot and Tango, it’s a different story. It highly frustrates me that it’s difficult to find an exact recipe, but the fact that they use things such as brown rice, quinoa, and barley within the first few ingredients tells me that the majority of the protein is very likely not animal derived. You should also note that there is no such thing as human grade kibble (as the website says, and this is kibble, no matter what the marketing team says) as in order for something to be labeled as human grade, it must be human food fit for human consumption. To be brutally honest, I’m not impressed. Seems to me like a fad food. If you want to go fresh, I’d really suggest Freshpet as an alternative. Spot and Tango is not on Dogfoodadvisor, but here is a link to a different review, although I distrust their objectivity, as it looks like they’re being paid: Spot & Tango Review | Recalls | Information - Pet Food Reviewer

For different kibbles, I’d suggest puppy Farmina, or something similar. If you’d like, I’d love to pick apart any other foods!

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
For kibble I also like Farmina. People also seem to like Honest Kitchen. There are some really good air dried options that may be affordable for a tpoo. These include Ziwipeak, MaxMeat by Only Natural Pet, and Real Meat. Vital Essentials is the only freeze dried I have used.

I personally feed DIY raw but it's a huge commitment in regard to research. A lot of people start with pre-prepared complete raw diets. But do take care to make sure you are offering a balanced diet to a puppy who is actively growing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts