Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting to adopt/buy another poodle ((next fall)) and while I was looking at breeds I became side swiped by the Afghan Hounds
Our friend who owns a pet store was telling us about her Afghans that she use to breed and was showing us photos and I've fallen in love with them

What sort of breeds would you suggest opposed to another poodle? ((we'll probably get another poodle I'm set in my ways, but I'd love everyones opinions))

·
Registered
448 Posts
Gosh, honestly, it would be hard to bring in a different breed for me. I've had a few different ones, in my life and have loved them all... but standards just do it for us. It is the greatest fit for us... wanting to hike, travel, good with kids and older folks... calm in the house and fun outdoors.

If I went purely by looks... a Chinese Crested. :)
If I didn't care about anyone or anything, a Dobbie.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Luckily no one in our family is allergic to dogs ((at least no one that lives here))

And I'm with your desertreef xDD
I was looking at other breeds and every list I started ((I'm a compulsive list maker v.v; )) started with the standard poodle
Elphie is everything that I want in a dog, athletic playful and just a big ole bag of goofy xDD

I think in the off chance I can't get another standard...thats where my lists might come in handy

1.) Afghan Hound
2.) Dobie ((I love the look of the red dobermans haha))
3.) ...

and those are all I have so far xDD

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Make your list based on what type of owner you are. If you can handle dogs that have very alpha type temperaments and are head strong then keep the list you have. Of course you know this already but talk to people that breed and own these breeds. They will all be happy to talk about their breed of choice and it helps you in making a decision.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
before I talk to breeders, I have this fear that I'll fall in love with a breed because of the way it looks...but hate the temperament of the breed
haha does that make sense?
xDD

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
before I talk to breeders, I have this fear that I'll fall in love with a breed because of the way it looks...but hate the temperament of the breed
haha does that make sense?
xDD
Yeah it does but looks always come first in the human mind. Make the list and then research the temperaments and cross them off based on what you can live with and what you just absolutely can't. Some people cannot offer some breeds what they need in an owner so it's not fair to the dog or the owner when those don't match. Like I'd never be able to offer a herding breed enough outlets for the release of energy nor a working breed things to "do" to keep their minds occupied and eventually one of us would reach a breaking point and the relationship would go to pot.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think we're set on the poodle, xDD
but I like having this back up list
we're a pretty athletic family and our dogs ((other than the shih-tzu)) love to go walking and hiking with us!

so anything works for us xD lounging around dogs ((like the shih tzu)) or something that likes to go on walks with us like our poo mix and standard ^_^
we're a pretty versatile bunch of people and our dogs match that to a T xD

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Yeah, temperments are a big thing for me! The poodle is pretty much perfect all around, and I've fallen in love with the Irish Water Spaniel, but they can be aloof and need to be socalized throughout their lives. That's a little more work than what I want.

Since I don't have allergies, and don't entirely mind hair, I'd love a samoyed. Everything I've read says they're great dogs, to both people and other animals. They even have a smile bred into their mouths!

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Oh a lady on my mommy board is getting a Bernese Mountain dog mix from the shelter and everyone is saying how they are wonderful dogs.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know much about the Bernese Mountain Dogs
but we had a Great Pyrenees and I loved her
we also lived on a 40acre farm when we owned her so that may have been why she was so mellow, I'd love to own another but I doubt our 2 acre yard would be enough room for it to roam xD

I haven't read anything about the Samoyed's but I have a friend who has an American Eskimo ((I heard somewhere they were closely related)) and its a pretty friendly dog ^_^

I actually added the Schipperke to my list
my aunt has one and hes a cute ((sometimes nippy but thats her fault)) dog

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Well the Bernese is in the working group and they are good pullers. There's a performance show in UKC where dogs compete in pulling. Um 2 acres is HUGE compared to the lots we live on in the city where I live. I'd love 2 acres!

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
haha 2 acres is dinky xDD

I've talked to our local Pyrenees rescue and the woman told me that we needed at LEAST 15 acres because "no fence can hold it back if it wants to roam"
now I think she was over exaggerating but what I can remember of Cloud ((we were really creative xDD )) she would leave our house and immediate area and wonder for a few hours then come strolling back about the time we were getting home from school

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Yeah, temperments are a big thing for me! The poodle is pretty much perfect all around, and I've fallen in love with the Irish Water Spaniel, but they can be aloof and need to be socalized throughout their lives. That's a little more work than what I want.

Since I don't have allergies, and don't entirely mind hair, I'd love a samoyed. Everything I've read says they're great dogs, to both people and other animals. They even have a smile bred into their mouths!
Samoyeds are pretty dogs - I had a mix for a year and half many years ago, this is the one we had to send up home to PA to live on a farm - we couldn't tame her. She was Alaskin malamute as well and literly was a nightmare but we did love her. I have pics of all the destruction she did on our home. They need firm handlers and TONS of exercise.

The Doberman would be our pic SECOND to the standard. They are such sweet loyal dogs. I seen an all white one recently (although they are a light tan??) My brother raised several Dobs and all of them looked initimidating but so sweet.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I tend to be a rescue-aholic.

I absolutely adored my sweet greyhound.
They are an amazing breed with so much love to give.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Keith-
go into the livingroom and tell your couch to come to you.... you now have enjoyed sighthound ownership.

I wanted an afghan too, but I really cant keep up with that hair AND poodle hair ( I actually think afghans are worse, and they kind of look goofy shaved ) but I didn't want a greyhound because I wanted something with a little more hair. So I decided on Borzoi- it was a happy medium.

one more warning: in the event you do decide to go with a sighthound make sure you visit the breeder( I know you know) and see their dogs, and ask about temperments. You have a small fluffy dog that could look like a bunny at high speeds... and bunnies are crunchy and taste good with katsup.

I have one Borzoi who I got at 9 weeks and is great with my little dog, her siblings I got when they were 6 or 7 months old... they arent so wonderful with the littles.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Keith-
go into the livingroom and tell your couch to come to you.... you now have enjoyed sighthound ownership.

hahahaha xDDD
I do like the Borzoi
so I might add that to my list

I think I'm so attracted to the Afghan because our family friend
she use to breed them but has to old lady ones ((10+ years each)) and they're so sweet and cuddley!! xDD
she keeps them in full show coat too
((retired groomer)) and they're Beautiful

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Wow you have really names some great breeds Burmese mountain dogs tend to have hip problems.. So be careful...Temperment issues as well... AFgahns hmm everyone I was ever around was a wee bit flighty HA HA they love to run so land is a plus.. I love a good Pyr I showed with some folks that live in Prescott and they raised some of the top Pyr's in the country absolutley loved the breed....WE were adopted in to the Pyr club HA HA !!!!
I thinkyou need another spoo.. seriously :) All I can say are my spoos are absolutley horrid to my rescue setter....But he just wags and takes it ...

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I love the way Afghans look and would love one someday. I also really like Dobies and Giant Schnauzers. I have a Rottweiler so I think I can handle a dominant personality. As far as the two breeds I have now: well bred Maltese are tiny compared to Bailey and I don't think I really want something that fragile and Rotties are great but they are HUGE, Harley weighs in at 114lbs, and many (ignorant) people are prejudiced towards them. I think if I ever get another toy breed, I will go w/ a Shih Tzu (they are bigger for toy dogs, 9-15lbs) or maybe a toy Poodle. I also would really love to rescue a pit someday. They are the sweetest dogs ever and they suffer so much at the hands of people.

Besides HD Berneses Mountain Dogs have a high rate of cancer and one of the shortest lifespans in the dog world.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I agree with you on the spoo thing

I keep looking up breeds and I love the afghan and borzoi and saluki ((I must be obsessing over sight hounds)) and every time I open a new web page I'll Google standard poodle puppies just to look at em

I think I might want another breed when I'm alot older but for now...its standard poodles all the way for me xD

oh on the sight hound thing, my mom wants me to consider either an Irish Wolfhound or a Scottish Deerhound
those are her favourite breeds of dog ever and she thinks I'd really enjoy having a ginormous dog haha

1 - 20 of 40 Posts