Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m half surprised by his DNA results for breeds. I really expected him to be at least a little part poodle but I was totally wrong...

Oscar is:
50% Yorkshire Terrier (expected)
50% Bichon Frise (not expected)

Who knew? I surely didn’t! I really didn’t expect him to be 50/50 at all. His lineage for 3 generations is the same.

“BICHON FRISE
Bichon Frise0.550.0% Bichon Frise
Yorkshire Terrier0.550.0% Yorkshire Terrier

50%

‘Bichon Frise’ actually means ‘curly lapdog.’

APPEARANCE

Height
9 - 11 in
Weight (show)
7 - 12 lb
Weight (pet)
6 - 16 lb

Happy, active, intelligent, and usually friendly dogs.
Respond well to reward-based training techniques.
Bichon Frises enjoy learning tricks, and dog sports such as retrieving, agility, rally and competitive obedience.
Good family dogs, but should be closely supervised around children to avoid accidental injury to the dog or child.

DID YOU KNOW?
You’d be forgiven for thinking that ‘Bichon Frise’ translates as ‘small fluffy bundles of cuteness’ – but it actually means ‘curly lapdog.’ These feisty and affectionate dogs are thought to have descended from the Barbet or Water Spaniel and have been charming us since the Renaissance. The early popularity of the breed is evident, as the French invaders of Italy in the 16th century brought many of the dogs home with them. The Bichon Frise became established in French royal court society and under the reign of Henry III, they were treated like royalty themselves – with the royal court Bichons in particular having loving attention lavished on them. Today, their affectionate and companionable natures make it almost impossible for their owners not to do the same.
All dogs should be considered individual animals. Because each is a product of their unique environment and handling, they may exhibit different traits and behaviors than those listed here.
See all the breeds we analyzed.

YORKSHIRE TERRIER
Bichon Frise0.550.0% Bichon Frise
Yorkshire Terrier0.550.0% Yorkshire Terrier

50%

Introduced to the United States in 1872.

APPEARANCE

Height
7 - 8 in
Weight (show)
3 - 6.5 lb
Weight (pet)
2 - 10 lb

MULTIDRUG RESISTANCE 1, (MDR1)

CLEAR
Oscar has no copies of the MDR1 mutation and should not be affected by the disorder due to this genetic cause.”

I am so glad I did this! Not guessing anymore.

View attachment 464762

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Interesting! I would not have expected Bichon Frise based on his pictures, either! What test did you decide to use?

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting! I would not have expected Bichon Frise based on his pictures, either! What test did you decide to use?
I got the Wisdom Panel from Walmart. It was on sale for half price back around cyber Monday week. Then I forgot I had it until a couple weeks ago lol.

·
Super Moderator
1,511 Posts
Those results go a long way towards explaining his good nature. Every Bichon I've ever met has been relentlessly extraverted. I wouldn't have picked Bichon, though, based on his coat color. He looks pretty solidly dark in the pictures. Not the typical saddle pattern of a Yorkie nor the white of a Bichon. Genetic inheritance is a funny thing.

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What a fun surprise! Where's the best place for me to see a photo of Oscar? Or can you share one here?
I attached a photo in my first post, but now it says...view attachment and you have to click on it. But I’ll try again. Maybe it will work this time.

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It worked this time, and ohhh my goodness, what a cute little boy!!
Thank you, I think he’s really cute too! I don’t know if you know, but he is the 12 year old that just sat in animal control while rescues went in and pulled every small dog out but him. I was so angry I just had to adopt him. Speaks well for rescues, huh?

I’m not sure what happened with the link in my first post. It had worked for me when I checked it, but maybe because I posted the same pic again it took it out of wherever they put it.

·
Super Moderator
5,291 Posts
Thank you, I think he’s really cute too! I don’t know if you know, but he is the 12 year old that just sat in animal control while rescues went in and pulled every small dog out but him. I was so angry I just had to adopt him. Speaks well for rescues, huh?
I wonder why they skipped over him! Low or no-shedding mixes are in such high demand.

I guess he was just meant to be yours :)

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wonder why they skipped over him! Low or no-shedding mixes are in such high demand.

I guess he was just meant to be yours :)
When I saw (and got) him, he was matted really badly. I guess they didn’t want to take on the work he’d need. Unfortunately I can’t find out which rescues adopted all the others. I’d really like to give them a piece of my mind. And yes, I agree with you he was meant to be mine. I was ready to get a toy poodle puppy, and gave up the chance to get Oscar. I don’t at all regret that decision!

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
He is very cute and it's fun to find out what his parents were. He is very lucky to have you. There are a lot of "rescues" that go in and cherry pick the most easily adoptable dogs then turn right around and sell them for hundreds of dollars. Very frustrating.

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
He is very cute and it's fun to find out what his parents were. He is very lucky to have you. There are a lot of "rescues" that go in and cherry pick the most easily adoptable dogs then turn right around and sell them for hundreds of dollars. Very frustrating.
I am aware that rescues do that and it just makes me furious. People are always looking for tiny and small dogs at the shelter and would have homes quickly if left there. But rescues make a huge profit from them. They are not all “non profit” when they work that way.

He's so cute?! I would have guessed him to be a Yorkie Poodle mix. That makes me mad that they didn't take care of his coat?
I was also guessing he is a yorkie poo. Now I know where that hair comes from. And... they told me he’d be shaved when I picked him up and they didn’t do it. How could the vet who saw him not shave him? Oh wel, he got done the next day.

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
He's so cute and so lucky you took him and have given him a loving home.

Fun to have a DNA surprise. I think I can see Yorkie in him, but his color being dark completely put me off thinking Bichon could be in his make up. I do remember seeing DNA research on many dog breeds and the Bichon was closely related to the poodle. Wish I could find that research - when I google all that comes up all test kits which is not what I was looking for.

Reactions: jojogal001

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
He's so cute and so lucky you took him and have given him a loving home.

Fun to have a DNA surprise. I think I can see Yorkie in him, but his color being dark completely put me off thinking Bichon could be in his make up. I do remember seeing DNA research on many dog breeds and the Bichon was closely related to the poodle. Wish I could find that research - when I google all that comes up all test kits which is not what I was looking for.
I have also heard bichons we’re close to poodles too, but I can’t find anything that says that now. I think, it least explains why maybe I thought I saw some poodle in him. I’m going to look for images of yorkie-bichon crosses are commonly black.

·
Super Moderator
5,291 Posts
This is a fun quiz if you're interested in knowing just how good (or—more likely—bad!!) you are at identifying the breeds in a mutt: MuttMix Survey

I was terrible! ? But at least I'm in good company:

"Overall accuracy of all participants averaged at 25% correct for all guesses made. Dog professionals surpassed that accuracy by only a narrow margin, averaging at 28% correct guesses for all guesses made."

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I have also heard bichons we’re close to poodles too, but I can’t find anything that says that now. I think, it least explains why maybe I thought I saw some poodle in him. I’m going to look for images of yorkie-bichon crosses are commonly black.
I sometimes still look at pictures and profiles of dogs in local rescues, and as of late, there have been many times when a dog is listed as a Bichon and I look at it and believe it could be a poodle, or even have some poodle in it. Sometimes it is not easy to tell without doing the DNA test. I am thinking Miracle has some Bichon in her as well; I doubt she is full poodle.

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
"Overall accuracy of all participants averaged at 25% correct for all guesses made. Dog professionals surpassed that accuracy by only a narrow margin, averaging at 28% correct guesses for all guesses made."
I did this quiz, and kinda impressed myself lol. I did the one on wisdom panel also but I think you have to be registered and have a DNA kit activated to have access to it.

So my score? 58%. I couldn’t believe it. It was a bit higher on wisdom panel but they gave like 10 breeds to choose from so that one was really easy. (I just tried to get a link, but apparently, once I got Oscar’s results I no longer can get to the quiz. )

Thanks for posting the link... it was a lot of fun!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts