Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My training club friend just asked if I'd be interested in going to a temperament testing in October.

Here is the info on the test: https://atts.org/

Has anyone done this? Is there much of a point to it? Would you do it or skip it? I already know Maizie could pass it with her eyes closed, and Frosty, most likely, but it is $45/test.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Haven't done it, just have in past years seen it considered useful, particularly with Pitbulls who could pass. I imagine the database could become more reliable if more dogs of specific breeds, as opposed to mixes and those of indeterminate origin, test.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
That looks like a very interesting test. I haven’t ever heard of it. I might just try Maizie in it if I were you, since it is $45 each, and maybe you can see how it goes. There are a lot of weird things in it that a dog is supposed to cope with, without showing fear, aggression or avoidance. I would say Luna would have passed it easily, but since her first heat she has been a little more leery of some things - I think she would still pass but I guess I am not 100% sure. I think it would be fun to stage something like this with friends just to gauge her reaction myself. If you do the test please tell us how it goes!!

·
Registered
12,242 Posts
Well, as the test involves someone firing three shots in close proximity to the dogs mine would hate the experience and fail dismally! I can see where it is coming from, but I am not sure sound sensitivity is actually part of temperament - both my dogs have pretty good startle recovery, but like so many dogs are hate loud bangs. I might be able to reassure them after a single shot, but three in succession would convince them we should go home - NOW!

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
They offered this at one of my clubs last year. I chose not to do it because Babykins already has her AKC CGC, ACGC and TDI. While this test is slightly different, I felt that the testing we already passed tested similar things. We didn’t have gun shots, but we had metal folding chairs knocked down, a metal bed pan dropped and a grocery cart turned over and other noisy items in class each week. There may not have been an umbrella but we had wheelchairs, crutches and walkers etc. so I didn’t see any value in this.

It was being pushed as good to have for insurance purposes if you have one of those large and aggressive breedss. I think that the testing we had already passed noted above probably carries more weight, especially the TDI for therapy work. Plus this is just a snapshot in time. If you have an aggressive dog and it passes this test and bites your neighbor, this piece of paper won’t mean much.

Reactions: zooeysmom

·
Premium Member
22,899 Posts
It sounds like something that could be useful for shelter/rescue group dogs (especially for bully breeds and mixes), but a CGC/CGCA would do very similar things. For most of us (especially for those of us whose dogs have CGCs or do performance sports and whose dogs are known to be solid citizens) this sounds like another organization looking for your $$.

Also it seems you aren't allowed to talk to the dog, which is pretty unrealistic to my way of thinking. I haven't finished my coffee yet so if I am wrong about that LMK.

Reactions: zooeysmom

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
I thought I’d add. In my AKC CGC class there was one dog taking it to get a certificate to show the apartment owner that the dog would make a safe tenant. And some one else was taking it for home insurance reasons, Nationwide will cover some dogs on home insurance with the certificate from what I understand. My minipoo is covered by my home insurance without the need for anything.

I don’t know if this company has any standing with any organization the way that AKC has with Nationwide Insurance.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for your input! I'll have to think about it. It seems like they usually use simulated gunshots, which would be a lot better than real gunshots (Frosty wouldn't pass with real shots, as evidenced by his fearful reaction when we trained near a shooting range recently!). I don't like that you can't talk to the dog. In therapy dog testing, you are encouraged to support your dog and will lose points for not talking to them when necessary.

Anyway, if I do go ahead with the test, I will video it to share with you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts