Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lucy is 9 months old now and we're considering another puppy. We're not sure if we should wait a little but we have started to look around. If anyone has a chance, could I please get your opinion of this web site and puppies. I sent a 7 page application and a couple of emails but didn't get a response for almost 3 weeks so I thought maybe we didn't meet the requirements. Tonight I got a reply stating that she thought the puppy that I had mentioned in the application was cute, would be a good fit for us and if I'm interested she would send a copy of her contract. I'm a little irritated by not getting a response until now but maybe this is normal and I don't want to pass up a good opportunity. The only information I have is her web site and I think I have to agree on feeding raw and natural rearing. Is this normal too? Anyway, I really appreciate anyones thoughts that have a minute! Thanks!

http://www.eclatpoodles.com

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I've always had an only dog, so I don't have any recommendations on when/how to get a second one.

Regarding the breeder. It only takes a minute to call or send an email, even if it is just to say that they will need to get back with you at a later time. Is this how she answers calls after you purchase a puppy? What if you had a questions about her definition of 'natural rearing'?

I wouldn't get in a contract that says I 'have' to feed raw or do natural rearing. I choose to feed raw, but who is she to say what is best throughout the life of your dog? If you default on the contract, what are the consequences? Are you expected to give the dog back, pay a fine, or what?

Would she pursue a legal case to make you 'perform' your part of the contract?

There are too many breeders out there that have exceptional dogs. My guess is that you are not totally on board with her approach. You can either negotiate the terms of the contract to be more suitable to both of you or find another breeder.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Honestly, if you and your family are prepared, then I would start looking. I would stop looking at this breeder.
I was not impressed by her dogs or her website pics. Her home looked filthy SORRY, I like clean. Have you checked out the breeders section? There has been a lot of discussion and breeders mentioned. Oh and I would expect a breeder to respond long before 3 weeks, and some people just cannot do raw food.....so I found that odd.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I don't know just looking at what she's showing her blue dog has a real problem in the rear with it turning out. I wouldn't want to continue to breed that. The testing is not current except for hips that were done in 07 and cerf on the bitch done last year. The stud they used had cerf was done in 07 and I believe it's supposed to be done annually. I'd pass, sorry.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Three weeks is way too long to respond to your request. I looked at the site and she mentions several 'white' puppies but they all appear to have apricot ears? I don't know if this is normal for white puppies. I would not agree to a contract that required me to feed raw and natural rearing. There are many good kibbles on the market which have been debated here. There are also those of us who feed both and those who feed only a raw diet. I don't understand why you would be 'required' to feed raw and how the breeder could enforce this on you.

I would look somewhere else.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I'm not sure about the breeder either, but I'm also not sure that getting another pup when your current one is only 9 months old too. It's personal I guess, but I'd prefer a good year or two between dogs, if not 3-4 years. Stagger them a bit... lol!

·
Registered
646 Posts
I can't say anything about her dogs and haven't even looked yet BUT I have 2 dogs 3 months apart and though the first year was hard I am so glad I did it that way.
I trained them to walk on a coupler and that is how we always walk. They know the rules and well since Casey despices to the point of not moving a halti they walk on prongs. They wear harness for pulling scooters or skis so not to confuse them I use the prongs.

At 2 and almost 2 now they are both great dogs and are awsome in the car, don't like but can handle being alone, Casey is a chewer so is still penned but Mandy is let alone while I at work.

Its up to you but I wouldn't do it any other way. They can tire each other out and wind each other up but with crates it works its way out.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Well...I do not know of what to say ...

The dogs were tested for the most conditions (alternatively ) - yes, Dam had Cerf March 09 - but CERF is valid for 12 months - so she had a valid CERF at the time of breeding. Stud should have had more recent CERF !!! Assuming that he sees well at 7 years - lets say his eyes are good. Since condition is recessive - lets hope Dam's CERF covers that part.

Pups are not likely to be AKC Ch., but if somebody is looking just for a decent pet and she asks decent price (around 1000 $ or less) - it could work ...perhasps. At least dogs are healthy and hopefully good temperament. You should ask about that part in depth.

I would not buy from her, but different strokes for different folks ...I suppose ...And I would definitely NOT say that "passing her is passing a good opportunity" One can find that level of breeding anywhere one turns - so the fact that she did not respond for 3 weeks is a big turn-off for me !!!!!!!!

PS: I have to agree with Olie - what's up with that mess :wacko: Especially if she keeps pups for 10 weeks - how clean is she keeping them :rolffleyes:

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
The Grandsire of this litter, Litilann's Deja Blue, bloated and died at age 9-10.

RE age.... I think 9 months is still pretty young to bring another dog home. Why not spend just a bit more time training dog #1 before dog #2 comes home?

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Where is not clean and filthy? I think Elles page shows a good bit of clutter and junk all around the furniture (lots) like people just throw their trash whereever......very disorganized and clutter with dogs is not good IMO....Also what kind of makeshift wobbly gate that? It does not look stable at all for pups to be leaning against. Also it looks like blood all over the welping mat well after the dogs were born.

Honestly seeing these on the other hand make it much easier for me to turn away.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for everyone's thoughts! The reason that I thought it would be a good opportunity is the father is from Delta's Poodles in Ohio which I thought I had read somewhere on the forum was a good breeder. Someone I had talked to at a dog show had also given me Delta's Poodles name. http://www.deltapoodles.com/

I won't go with these puppies especially after hearing the feedback from everyone. It does bother me that she didn't get back to me even after I had emailed to confirm that she had received my application through email and regular mail. If she doesn't get back to me when I'm paying money for a puppy, I question what would happen if I needed to communicate later.

Is bloat heredity? I'll have to add this to my list of questions.

As for getting a second dog this soon, I have thought of that too and stated on the application that this was a concern. We lost our 2 poodles and a cat within 6 months last year and I feel like I need to build the numbers up again! I had orginally planned on getting 2 puppies together but when I got Lucy I quickly decided to wait - I forgot how much work a puppy is! The trainer that we've worked with said that when getting 2 puppies together they might bond to each other instead of the owner and to train them seperately. There was an owner in a couple classes that got 2 puppies from the same litter and she had them across the room from each other with seperate owners. I was thinking of a puppy closer to this summer but then this came up.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Yes, bloat is hereditary. I am so sorry that you lost so many dear friends in such a short time. That must have been very painful for you.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Considering the experiences of some of us here (myself, Cdnjenga, Wishpoos and Roxy) I don't think it's too soon to start looking for a breeder. We've all been waiting quite some time to find breeders we like and for them to have available puppies. I contacted the breeder I would really like to buy from last October and it will be Sept/Oct of this year before she has a puppy for me. Hopefully it will be a large enough litter for me to get one. The litter she had in January was quite small.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts