Poodle Forum banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
In New York City, pit bulls, rottweilers, etc, are banned from housing project areas because of the amount of violence they bring. More like the amount of violence their stupid owners put upon them.

In my neighborhood, almost every house has a dog. I'm surprised that there's no designated park for these dogs (then again the city/state is broke, so what should I expect from them). I would travel to another park, a few blocks away from my house, to go to a park where there's enough open space for the dogs to run around.

I've seen a few pit bulls walk around the area, and they're nice and calm. I agree with one user who said that "aggressive dogs should be banned" from dog parks. On the note of dog parks, I also hate how people let their dogs crap wherever they please, and never clean it up. I don't want my dog doing #2 near another dog's (HUGE) crap. I don't know what diseases that dog is carrying, and I'll be damned if Ted gets sick from them.

As for spaying/neutering, I had no choice as to if Ted could be neutered. North Shore S/N's all of their dogs. They strongly advocate keeping unwanted dogs off of the street to continue to be neglected. Personally, I believe that you spay/neuter your dogs accordingly to their personal needs. If the dog's too aggressive and his hormones are the problems, snip the balls off! Lol. If for safety for your bitch, then do as you please.

Although, I have seen neutered dogs mount other dogs. Ie: Ted mounting a male dog at the pet store, and my mother's friend's (male) Yorkie mounting Ted. I'm pretty sure that's a dominance thing, though. :eek:hwell:

·
Registered
102 Posts
I am against the bans! Ban the bad dog owners, all dog should be trained and worked. Aggressive dogs should not be in dog parks, fence off an area for them to be worked and trained.

As for S/N well I have a performance dog and I believe he needs to stay intact to prevent injury and I have no interest in breeding him and he wont ever have an oops. The reason I know this is I train and work with my dog and he is always under my control. Now if I was to neuter him I would wait till he fully matured after 3 years and if I had a female I would also prolong it till her maturity or after the second cycle.

I see so many dogs with issues that came from awesome breeders and as soon as the dog is spayed you have leaking, skin problems, allergies, etc...

I am all for controlling the pet population but don't use scare tactics to sell people on S/N.

You want to control the pet population fine people that have an oops breeding, fine and arrest backyard breeders/puppy mills. The only people that should be able to breed should be ethical trained educated breeders that want to breed to the standard or make it better. I think I read that in the States they have 3 million homeless dogs but we have people still breeding more.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I don't agree with mandatory spay and neuter in general, but for a dog park, I don't have a problem with it. I think it does cut down on the problems quite a bit. All the unaltered younger dogs (6-18 months) that come to my dog park are just humping machines. It's annoying for the other dogs to be followed around by a horny/overexcited dog when all they want to do is play fetch, and a lot of the time, the owners have zero control over their dog, so it's a constant "Fluffy, come here. No! Don't do that Fluffy! No! Leave the dog alone".

Spay and neuter is really a convenience procedure for "pet" owners. Any responsible owner can keep an unaltered dog happy and healthy and abstinent, but it takes work (especially with the females) and mistakes can be disastrous. With all the dogs needing homes, and all the unwanted puppies being born daily, it's hard not to be in support of mandatory spay and neuter, but really and truly, it's not necessary. I will always neuter/spay my pets because it's easiest that way, and most likely because they'll already be spayed/neutered when I get them from the shelter/rescue.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I see so many dogs with issues that came from awesome breeders and as soon as the dog is spayed you have leaking, skin problems, allergies, etc...
I think alot of that is just plain ol' timing. Most dogs are neutered before or around a year old. Most skin problems and allergies dont show up until around that time too. I dont think ive ever seen a puppy with allergy issues. They are all a year or older. Just food for thought.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.