Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last time I went to the dog park, there were two new signs up. One said "No Pitt Bulls" Awesome. That's a Little Rock law, and fair. The only two Pitt Bulls I'd seen there before were asshats. One tried to attack my poodle and the other was kept on a leash and growled at everything that moved.

But the second sign said "all dogs must be spayed/neutered if over 6 months old". Not sure how I feel about that one. Helmet is not fixed (no, I'm never going to breed him, but I mean...he's a poodle with a mohawk for Jesus Sakes. Let him have SOME dignity!) And Crash? I'm not going to spay her at 6 months. Isn't the rule 2 heat cycles before you spay?

I get it...the rules are the rules...and I'm just going to say "hey, new dog park". but I'm curious...how many of the dog parks near you have the same ruels? What's your opinion on required spay/neuter?

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
i don't get dog parks because they just seem a ground for problems (always owners who say ... oh my dog is not aggressive, then chomps someone's dog)

and i also hate the bad rap pit bulls get. my son has a red nose pitt and she's the best behaved, well trained dog. she's super good.

good owners make great dogs.

anyway, about the spay/neuter. guess it could cause issues if a bitch is in heat there.

i am not sure about spay time (was going to post & ask myself). i have a 7 month female and was considering spaying her any time now since i won't be breeding.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm honestly not sure. I hear some people say to spay before the first heat cycle, some say to wait until after one or two cycles....I think it's a matter of personal preference.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
So breed bans are awesome but not a rule requiring spay/neuter at the dog park? I'm at a loss there.

How do you plan to keep your dogs separate when your female goes into heat? Neutering doesn't affect a dog's dignity at all. I have a family member w/ an intact dog and she used to have an intact female as well. The poor male was miserable everytime she was in heat. He whined, refused to eat and was obviously upset the entire time. I felt it was a little cruel to put him through that. I personally would never keep an intact male and an intact female in the same home. I think you should neuter your male or have your female spayed before the first heat.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Breed bans are just wrong. If you think it starts and ends with pits, you're also wrong. If you let them ban one breed pretty soon they will find a reason to ban ANY breed. Yes, even your adorable poodle.

It's also irresponsible to own a PET dog and leave them intact simply to give him "dignity". He's a DOG, he doesn't know what dignity is. He's not a person.

In fact your dog will probably be much more comfortable snipped..he won't go nuts everytime a bitch goes into heat..he'll be less likely to want to leave home when he does smell a bitch in heat.. intact males can be quite a handful.

I've met some shady pits at the dog park..but i've also met some aggressive golden retrievers..before I started dog grooming I hated poodles because the few standards i met were just horrible dogs. I figured standard poodles were just mean animals with goofy haircuts. I had no idea I would own three wonderful spoos later on!

I just don't understand the point of your post really. If you wanted to start a heated discussion I imagine you will get your wish.

I do think pit bull owners should stay away from the dog park. Not because they don't have a right to be there (they do) but because the general public are jerks when it comes to bully breeds. If a black lab attacks a pit..and the pit fights back to defend himself..they are ALWAYS going to blame the pit bull. Why? Because it's a pit! It doesn't have to start a fight, it just has to be involved to be blamed.

That's why I think pit bull owners should be very careful entering a dog park. You might have the most well behaved pit bull ever...but if some other jerk has a poor mannered animal and your dog gets involved...it won't matter..and it's not fair, but that's just how it is..at least at the few parks i've gone to.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Heh...yea, pit bull bans are fair. My pit bull and Catahoula (who looks enough like a pit bull to those who don't know) would both be banned despite the fact they are both exceptionally dog friendly and well-behaved. And my 'houla could have been seized when she was working despite her service dog status simply because she has a square head.

I don't go to the dog park because there is no guarantee of the dogs' manners/socailization. I know that if I went and one of my girl's got attacked and so much as growled, they would be blamed. Instead, they go to day care where dogs are tested before being allowed in.

The S/N requirement is likely there to prevent fights and accidental breedings. You don't want fights over bitches in heat and you can't trust that Joe Shmoe knows not to bring her or to stop a dog mounting her in time.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Breed bans are just wrong. If you think it starts and ends with pits, you're also wrong. If you let them ban one breed pretty soon they will find a reason to ban ANY breed. Yes, even your adorable poodle.

It's also irresponsible to own a PET dog and leave them intact simply to give him "dignity". He's a DOG, he doesn't know what dignity is. He's not a person.

In fact your dog will probably be much more comfortable snipped..he won't go nuts everytime a bitch goes into heat..he'll be less likely to want to leave home when he does smell a bitch in heat.. intact males can be quite a handful.

I've met some shady pits at the dog park..but i've also met some aggressive golden retrievers..before I started dog grooming I hated poodles because the few standards i met were just horrible dogs. I figured standard poodles were just mean animals with goofy haircuts. I had no idea I would own three wonderful spoos later on!

I just don't understand the point of your post really. If you wanted to start a heated discussion I imagine you will get your wish.
IA 10000000000% with both HC and Adian !

Breed bans are not awesome and I think you have offended a few people on here by saying that. It does not stop with pit bulls at all.

I have been around nearly over 500 pit bulls my whole life never been bit or attacked .... But I get bit and attacked by a mutt so I think we should all ban mutts now :rolffleyes:

I agree with pit bulls should not go to a dog park but , I don't think its fair to say banned. Instead it should say aggressive dogs banned !

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We talked about the first heat before we ever got the puppy. My boyfriend and I don't live together. When she goes through her first heat cycle, she'll stay here with me and Helmet will go with his Daddy for a few days. After that first cycle, I can call and set up the appointment to have her fixed. The plan all along has been to spay her.

For the record, I didn't create the breed ban. I wasn't even born when the vote passed through the Little Rock legal system to ban Pits. I didn't get a say, a vote, an opinion...nothing.

And if you are asking what the point of the thread is, you clearly didn't the read the entire first post-only enough to get irritated and immediatly jump into a "forum fight". Settle down, killer. :) The "point" of the original post was in the last two sentences.

but I'm curious...how many of the dog parks near you have the same ruels? What's your opinion on required spay/neuter?
Not trying to be snarky, just sayin.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
We talked about the first heat before we ever got the puppy. My boyfriend and I don't live together. When she goes through her first heat cycle, she'll stay here with me and Helmet will go with his Daddy for a few days. After that first cycle, I can call and set up the appointment to have her fixed. The plan all along has been to spay her.

For the record, I didn't create the breed ban. I wasn't even born when the vote passed through the Little Rock legal system to ban Pits. I didn't get a say, a vote, an opinion...nothing.

And if you are asking what the point of the thread is, you clearly didn't the read the entire first post-only enough to get irritated and immediatly jump into a "forum fight". Settle down, killer. :) The "point" of the original post was in the last two sentences.

Not trying to be snarky, just sayin.
what was your point in bringing up the pit ban anyways ? You seem all for it ! there are some pit bull lovers and owners on here.

You could have just posted about the spay and neuter rule so you brought it on your self with your comments. :wacko::fish:

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I have NO PROBLEM with pit bulls at my dog park. I trust that owners of that breed KNOW their dog's personality....neutered or not. I often take my un-neutered male to the par with my 2 little neutered males. The 3 LOVE going together but I usually have my husband. I (as one person) cannot properly supervise 3 dogs, especially the intact one. My husband keeps his eyes on BEN and I watch the 2 little ones. There is always that initial meet N greet and the males have to size eachother up. My BEN is never the aggressor but will not back down if a really mean, bossy dog tries to pin him. I always looks for testes. If I see them, I tell my husband to "watch" that one dog and make sure Ben is being friendly at all times. If I get one weird vibe, Ben gets his leash on and stays by us. The two little guys have a ball with all the other small dogs....it has a big dog and a small dog section.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So there were two signs. I mentioned both. Should I ignore one? The topic to the thread didn't mention the second sign. The questions in the post didn't mention the second sign. And I don't think that anybody is respecting the value of infleciton lost in typing.

"awesome!" being totally different than "awesome.".

I don't personally care either way. I don't have a Pit Bull. Not intrested in them. Not anymore so that I would be in a Weenie dog or Dobbie or Rottie or lab. The ban doesn't affect me or my opinons in any way. The entire point of the thread is about bans that Dog Parks have and people's reactions to the rules. I believe I've only gotten ONE valid response. If people really want to just fight/bicker, then they should go to a forum designed to do so. This forum is about poodles and a mutual love/respect for them. I'll never understand why people feel so badass behind a computer screen. If they second sign is so offensive, then I welcome anybody to come down to Little Rock, go to the dog park, stand at the gate, and yell at the piece of paper hung there.

Good luck with that.

Now, can we please...FINALLY....get back on topic?

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I kind of took the comment on the pitt ban being fair differently I guess. As in it was fair to ban them at the park since they happened to be banned in your area in the first place? Maybe I am misreading.

I am totally 100 % against banning breeds and totally 100% against requiring owners to spay or neuter their dogs. It should be up to the owner. Any surgery has risks and while the risks of that one are low and the benifits of having it done are very high it should still be up to you.

For the record I agree that pets should be spayed or neutered unless they are show dogs and perhaps part of a responsible breeding program. That said Saleen isn't spayed yet I'll admit. I wanted to wait for her to grow up and then had unexpected health issues and bills associated with my pregnancy so the funds are not there at the moment. I will get her spayed but it isn't an emergency to me right now. More of an annoyance when she goes into heat that's all.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
I am in full support of altering pet dogs. There's no reason for them to be going through the hormones unnecessarily. Whenever I look at the lost dogs in the classifieds in my area guess what.. 90% of these dogs are intact. At the dog park they can focus on play instead of focusing on mating.

... just sayin'.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I am in full support of altering pet dogs. There's no reason for them to be going through the hormones unnecessarily. Whenever I look at the lost dogs in the classifieds in my area guess what.. 90% of these dogs are intact. At the dog park they can focus on play instead of focusing on mating.

... just sayin'.
Yeah but it should still be the owner's choice on if and when to do it pet or no pet. What I REALLY wish we had was better education and perhaps requirements on health testing for breeding dogs, but I suppose that is just as big an infringement on dog owners rights as a law requiring spay neuter. Plus being intact isn't going to make them want to breed everything in sight all the time at the park, unless somebody happens to be in heat in which case they shouldn't be at the park really. Howie never did when we were going. I don't go anymore b/c I feel like dog parks are dangerous and full of dumb owners... like anyone who would bring a girl in season to a dog park in the first place. Once again, that just might be an education issue :(

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I think the required spay/neuter for a dog park is a very good idea actually... Honestly, I have nothing against intact dogs, and I have no problem with them in the park, BUT I know a lot of dogs do have problems with intact dogs. I think it's good just to "keep the peace", really. I know intact dogs aren't any more aggressive or what-have-you than any other dog, but for whatever reason, some dogs just go ballistic and get really really rude with intact males. I mean, I know so many pups on dogster and in person that just cannot STAND intact males. They smell them before they see them and are just auto-angry. It's a darn shame, as that means even the best intact dogs will get crap for no reason, but whatever.
If your dogs are pets, you might as well neuter them. I don't see the point in keeping up with the hassle of owning an intact male with an intact female if neither will be bred or shown. Helmet will have to be away for several weeks (maybe a month) until you're SURE your baby girl is off her cycle. It's a huge pain to deal with, and I really doubt Helmet will miss his balls. :\ One less potential -oodle, the way I see it.

Breed bans... /sigh. OP, that was a bad idea to word that the way you did. It really read as "breed bans are good, I don't want those nasty pits in my park". I DID get offended when I read that; you should choose your words carefully in regards to such heated topics. We have the same dumb sign on our dog park gate, and it's been repeatedly scratched out with keys lol. Everybody still brings their pits in. ;) All of the aggressors in my park have been LABS!

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
My vet told me to ABSOLUTELY spay my female before her first heat cycle. If she is spayed before ever having a heat cycle, she will have a MUCH less chance of developing breast cancer, etc. There is really no reason to wait for two cycles to spay your dog if you are not planning to breed her.

Every puppy class, obedience class, doggie day care, grooming facility, boarding facility, dog park, etc. in St. Louis requires dogs over 6 months to be spayed/neutered.

My puppy is 19 weeks and she is getting spayed next week. (at 5 months)

·
Registered
2,496 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I don't find the spay/neuter rule to be odd. My mom can't board her intact male show dog, and has been told it's actually for his own safety. Evidently the neutered males will gang up on the intact one and hurt him. (Makes sense. I knew a horse once that was attacked by the others for this same reason.)

I also understand the breed ban. I don't necessarily agree - as I knew a wonderful pitt who was sweeter than any dog I've ever met - but I understand. Denver is among the cities that bans them and will seize any dog they think to be a pitt. Somewhat stupid... but considering what terrible people have done to the image of the breed... somewhat expected.

The dog parks I have been to just state that you have to pick up after yourself and your dog, as well as to not bring your dog if it is unfriendly... minus the fact that a mean rottie kept coming after my dogs. So evidently people can't read. (I would much prefer a rule keeping out bratty children. Can't tell you how many times I have gotten on to kids that aren't mine for kicking or hitting my dogs.)

I don't find the new posted rules out of line... to be honest. Personally, I think that if your dog is simply a pet... it would be a smart decision to get them fixed. What we don't need are more dogs and cats in the world with no home, and no matter how responsible people are... accidents happen. This isn't directed at anyone, just my general opinion.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
We have so many dog parks in the Charlotte area that I haven't even been to them all...I know most on their websites have a spay/neuter rule but I've never noticed a breed ban anywhere.

I've always had the females spayed before the first cycle. Mostly because I don't want to deal with a bitch in heat.

Males i've always waited till one year.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
JMO I think most dog parks have these rules to protect themselves and the cities/counties that run them. It only takes one sue happy owner to sue the facilitator of the park to ruin it for everyone. If the parks have clearly posted signs, it helps their case in court. What we really need is some common sense and common courtesy but, as we have all witnessed, these days there is a general lack of both for some people. Its always someone else's fault.
I personally spay and neuter my pets because that is what I choose. Whatever you choose, please be responsible for it.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts