Poodle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Beckie has been retching and couching since late tuesday night. On tuesday I heard noise from upstairs but didn’t know what it was.

Wednesday morning she did it again and I figured if it wouldn’t pass the same day I would see the vet. It stopped in the afternoon yesterday.

Until very early this morning when she woke me up. She was retching a lot and I was worried so I got up at 5am. Besides this, she also shakes herself, as if she was wet. She does it often and I think it’s a sign of discomfort.

This morning it went on and off for about 45 minutes. Now she’s doing it less frequently.

Coincidence ? Sunday we went for a walk. I put a full covering harness on her as to not hurt her because she pulls. And she did pull.. Maybe it damaged her already fragile trachea ?

I’ve left a message to the vet, asking for an appointment today. Hopefully I’ll get one.

Here is a very short video I caught this morning for the vet. What do you think, does it look like collapsed trachea ? Why is it worse in the morning ?

https://youtu.be/0ttL6pysISo

·
Registered
510 Posts
Hi
It was difficult to tell from the video. Is it possible she’s eating grass?
Both my standards try to eat grass especially this time of year. I have to go out in the yard and watch them otherwise they will try to eat grass. I asked my vet and she commented this time of year was particularly difficult. She said it’s possible for them to get grass caught in their throat which causes irritation and coughing, especially in the morning. She said if the coughing continues she would have to sedate her to take a closer look. So now I watch them closely and the coughing has stopped. Like you, I have 2 pups and one of them seems much more interested in the grass, not sure why. Please keep and eye on their poo also as grass moving through their system can potentially cut them, according to my vet.
Of course a visit to the vet might be prudent and help put you at ease I hope your pups will be ok

·
Registered
8,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We just came back from the vet. She has tracheitis from coughing but it’s not possible to know what causes it.

We did X-rays on both sides of her thoracic cage, high enough to see all of her trachea.

Everything is perfect, no collapsed trachea or abnormalities. She might have a little brochitis (the machine is very precise so it could be nothing also). The vet gave her antibiotics twice a day for 14 days.

Sometimes I think Since I’m with them all day I notice every little thing too much and probably overreact. I probably should have given her Benadryl or something like that and waited a few weeks until it cleared on its own.

At least tomorrow when she wakes me up at 5, instead of getting up because ai thought she was dying, I’ll go back to sleep, lol !

Now let’s hope Merlin doesn’t catch it...

·
Registered
8,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi
It was difficult to tell from the video. Is it possible she’s eating grass?
Both my standards try to eat grass especially this time of year. I have to go out in the yard and watch them otherwise they will try to eat grass. I asked my vet and she commented this time of year was particularly difficult. She said it’s possible for them to get grass caught in their throat which causes irritation and coughing, especially in the morning. She said if the coughing continues she would have to sedate her to take a closer look. So now I watch them closely and the coughing has stopped. Like you, I have 2 pups and one of them seems much more interested in the grass, not sure why. Please keep and eye on their poo also as grass moving through their system can potentially cut them, according to my vet.
Of course a visit to the vet might be prudent and help put you at ease I hope your pups will be ok
Good point but there is hardly any grass here at the moment. We’re still in the «*yellow*» phase.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I do the same thing. I’m around them all day and tend to overreact. Many times I’ve gone to the vet only to find out there’s no problem. I guess better safe than sorry

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
My dogs eat grass :)ahhhhh:) and they make a different sound when it gets stuck in their throat. I would have been worried too with the noise Beckie was making. I'm glad she's fine and now you have that peace of mind. Hugs!

And me three--home not all day, but enough to monitor everyone's health thoroughly and notice the slightest changes! A blessing and a curse.

Reactions: Dechi

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Hopefully, the inflammation will go down and she'll get over this. I can't tell about the collapsing trachea. I hear a real cough in there besides the gagging thing that I think goes along with collapsing trachea. Did he also take a good listen to her heart? Lots of good wishes coming Becky's way for getting well soon.

·
Registered
8,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hopefully, the inflammation will go down and she'll get over this. I can't tell about the collapsing trachea. I hear a real cough in there besides the gagging thing that I think goes along with collapsing trachea. Did he also take a good listen to her heart? Lots of good wishes coming Becky's way for getting well soon.
Yes, she took a long time to listen to her heart from all angles. (Only women at that clinic. Techs and vets. Always. I think it’s cool).

Thanks for the good wishes. And ZM (or is it FM or MF now, lol) and JCris too. And GB (so many acronyms, you’d think we’re in a sect or something).

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
She's in good hands it sounds like. Well...must be some kind of irritation. Crossing my fingers for the little one.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Yes, she took a long time to listen to her heart from all angles. (Only women at that clinic. Techs and vets. Always. I think it’s cool).

Thanks for the good wishes. And ZM (or is it FM or MF now, lol) and JCris too. And GB (so many acronyms, you’d think we’re in a sect or something).

I respond to any of those acronyms :D

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I hope poor little Ms Beckie is feeling better soon.

·
Registered
8,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I know it hasn’t been 48 hours since starting her antibiotic but today she is worse. Poor thing has been retching on and off since this morning.

She keeps making this little squeal sound and she doesn’t look comfortable. It’s sad and it breaks my heart.

I gave her a little bit of honey in water an hour ago, to soothe her throat. I’ll feed her mostly canned food tonight so it helps hydrate her and is softer on her throat.

I hate when my dogs are sick. :-(

·
Registered
510 Posts
Is she used to canned food? I’ve been down a similar road and found it related to stomach upset. My girls were given Flagyl as the antibiotic and I stopped that after only two days. Didn’t seem to be helping at all.

·
Premium Member
7,211 Posts
I'm sorry to hear Beckie's not improving as hoped. Maybe the antibiotics will kick in by tomorrow and she'll be feeling better then.

·
Registered
8,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Is she used to canned food? I’ve been down a similar road and found it related to stomach upset. My girls were given Flagyl as the antibiotic and I stopped that after only two days. Didn’t seem to be helping at all.
Yes, my other dog is medicated for life so I use canned food to make him take his pills. Since she’s a little piglet, she gets some as well. She is eating her usual canned food.

I don’t know the name of the antibiotic, I’ll have to check. If she’s still coughing in 48 hours, I might stop it. She’s on it for 14 days.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.