Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all..in Poodle Pictures I had wrote that Gi Gi was going for surgery...well, she had her surgery and is home now...just one problem..the meds..(pain killer and anti-inflamatory) have made her extremely constipated where she doesn't want to eat and even vomits at times...my poor baby..anyway, I know pork fat loosens her stool...but what else might I do..?...

·
Registered
289 Posts
I googled it and read that you can ad 1 tsp of mineral oil per 10lbs body weight.
Hope your pup feels better!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes Yes.... thankyou....that's why I so love this forum.... I'm just so worried about her...not eating and now this.... my poor sweet girl....

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
My late cat had problems with constipation while she was on prednisalone. My vet said I could give her a senna based stool softener (like Senekot). I gave her the generic. It helped a lot.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I always have psyllium husk on hand. I give it to my kitty when she gets constipated and it works like a charm. She is a little girl, only 8lbs and I give her about 1/8 of a tsp mixed with her food.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Im glad the surgery went well. Was it a spay? If so then they can sometimes have trouble having a BM because they dont want to "push" as hard as normal. Also she was fasted for the surgery, so that could play a part. When was the surgery? Are you positive she is constipated? Im assuming the medication you have is rimadyl or metacam. They both have the potential to cause stomach problems. I have a feeling that is why she is not eating and is vomiting instead of it being a constipation problem. Please call your vet tomorrow to see what they suggest.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thankyou all for answering my post... lil Gi Gi had surgery on both hind legs.. it is that knee problem ...wrote about it in my post in poodle pictures...so anyway... she's not eating well at all... I got the pumpkin and gave her a little mineral oil and she had a small bowel movement and hasn't vomited for the rest of the day....was even able to give her some more pain meds..I'll be contacting the vet if she continues with this problem...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
update

Hi everyone... it's been tuff but so far so good... Gi Gi had her stitches out last friday and is doing pretty good... keeping her as quiet as possible...ie..no running, jumping, up and down stairs...ect... is extremely hard to do...she's feeling better and wanting to play ... poor kid... this must continue for five more weeks... I'll be in the nut house by then... I miss it here.. hope to get back into what's happening around the poodle place soon... P S ... her appetite is back on track...YIPEE!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts