Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just watched Beau pee all over the left-front bracelet of his oh-so-sweet Miami clip. :doh: He's 11 months old and so far has never lifted his leg, though he usually has excellent aim when squatting. He's going to be neutered in about two weeks. Think he'll ever lift his leg after that, or should I just resign myself to occassional foot baths in a shallow tub?

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Lovely - Olie is 11 months and still no lifting. He has done it once or twice on a walk or at the dog park but that is it. So my guess is some will and some wont.

I have heard there are "training poles" out there, you could google it.

He looks cute in his trim too.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
i had an unaltered 90 pound gorgeous solid black manly german shepherd dog who never lifted his leg in his entire life.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
i had an unaltered 90 pound gorgeous solid black manly german shepherd dog who never lifted his leg in his entire life.
Oh wow - I bet he was beautiful! :)

·
Registered
681 Posts
If you keep a few longer hairs on the end of the penis, it should at least direct the pee to the ground. I know Captain walks around while peeing, he very rarely stands still to pee, and if the hairs are shaved off he gets it all over his front legs too.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
This is so interesting :rolffleyes:

Wonder what % of male dogs does not lift their leg :rolffleyes:

My spoo started doing it VERY early - he was still a toddler (maybe 4 mos :rolffleyes:) At that age he would pee squatting above the "pee grill" made for him for that purpose in front of a door, but would raise his leg on the street corner LMAO, yet again, streets were very bussy and maybe it was the only way for him to do it - get as close to the wall as he could and do it without being disturbed by people passing by LOL

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
My boys lift their legs about 50% of the time. Leg lifting is mostly a learned behaviour, has little to do with being male/female.
If you want him to lift his leg, get him around as many male dogs that lift their legs as possible and they'll teach him how it's done :p

I knew a few female dogs that grew up with male dogs that would squat and lift one leg to pee all at the same time. They must've had good balance, I guess.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Hmmm. Dexter started lifting his leg pretty early--4-5 months, but didn't have many role models to see. But now that I think about it, we were going to handling classes, so he was exposed to male dogs and bitches in season. Since he was the baby, he was used as the buffer between the bitch in season and the other males. He would sniff the ground, and you could just hear him thinking, "I'm interested in this, and I don't know why..."

The bitches I have seen lift their legs were alpha bitches.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I knew a few female dogs that grew up with male dogs that would squat and lift one leg to pee all at the same time. They must've had good balance, I guess.
Funny thing is my FEMALE Pom Aoki does this very thing and Coco the MALE Squats - now that interesting. :wacko:

Of topic - sorry, but my boys kick their feet a lot after they poop! WTH is that?! And Olie is so funny he does these real long kick strokes on the grass - its funny.

·
Registered
8,040 Posts
I am so glad I'm not the only one who's pondering the pee lift question! Chagall is 13 months old and he still squats. Even after a lot of exposure to a big boy dog (his best buddy, a pit/chow mix) who marks everything, everywhere, all the time. We joined a dog walking club last week and I couldn't help but notice all the other males "lifting" during the 3 mile walk. My guy didn't even go!

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
My boys are 90% lifters. Only occasionally will they squat. Tate ALWAYS pees on his front feet (we joke he is too well endowed), so I stand by the door ready with baby wipe.

He always starts out fine, and not peeing on himself, but it all falls to pieces in the end. He loses balance and scrunches his back up... Wish I could teach him how to pee! Haha!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Olie, LMAO , I think that "kicking" might be some rudimental "left-over" from the time they lived in the vild ;), that they are trying to kind off putt some dirt on "it" so it would not smell too much and warn a pray LOL

I do not know , ha ha, just a crazy speculation he hee. But they definitely like to do that and look soo funny ! Maybe we all should watch some documentary about vild dog relatives and observe what they do ; ))).

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I believe Billy started lifting his leg after he was a year old. He is an intact male and it surprised me at how long it took for him to figure that out. He didn't have another male around to show him how things were done. I do leave the hairs at the end of his penis so that it does direct down if he drops his leg too soon.

Olie, this is the best explanation I have found on why dogs kick the dirt up after peeing:

Dogs instinctively mark their territories with scent, and the "kicking" is just part of that instinctive behavior. Its purpose is to spread the scent around to mark a larger area. Mature male dogs hike their legs against objects for a similar reason...to spray the scent higher and make themselves seem larger to other dogs.

http://googleads.g.doubleclick.net/aclk?sa=l&ai=Bs20U_8oqTNXfLd_ilQfr-4zSBM7rqb8BzpbVpBPAjbcB8IQOEAIYAiD-qr8GKAY4AFCglKy5-v____8BYMme7obIo_waoAGf-7X_A7IBEHdpa2kuYW5zd2Vycy5jb23IAQHaAUdodHRwOi8vd2lraS5hbnN3ZXJzLmNvbS9RL1doeV9kb19kb2dzX2tpY2tfdXBfZGlydF9hZnRlcl91c2luZ19iYXRocm9vbeABAoACAagDAegDswToA6YC6AOaBPUDAAQABA&num=2&sig=AGiWqtzln_G_hTLLALKgBkAOlp4QkTZKKg&client=ca-gurunet_wikianswers_js&adurl=http://www.entirelypets.com/coprophagy.html

·
Registered
752 Posts
Every once in a while both of my girls will lift their back foot about 2 inches off the ground to pee. Go figure.

I do know the answer to the kicking thing though. . .they're marking. There are sweat glands on the bottom of the feet, and when they leave a "present", they're labeling the area with a little more information of who it belongs to! Usually they do it where lots of dogs have visited, so that every dog who comes by will have no question about who left the tootsie roll there. How disappointing it must be when after all of that work we then bag it! lol!

**Sorry spoospirit, you posted while I was typing and I kind of wrote the same thing!

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Every once in a while both of my girls will lift their back foot about 2 inches off the ground to pee. Go figure.

I do know the answer to the kicking thing though. . .they're marking. There are sweat glands on the bottom of the feet, and when they leave a "present", they're labeling the area with a little more information of who it belongs to! Usually they do it where lots of dogs have visited, so that every dog who comes by will have no question about who left the tootsie roll there. How disappointing it must be when after all of that work we then bag it! lol!

**Sorry spoospirit, you posted while I was typing and I kind of wrote the same thing!
:rofl: No apology necessary. Happens a lot but it just adds credence to why they do what they do. Love your sense of humor about it. Billy always makes a big deal of it and has to make sure I am looking when he does it because he is making such a BIG statement....LOL

1 - 20 of 27 Posts