Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oona had her right lower canine extracted yesterday (it had been coming up narrow making a hole in her palate). She did great. I think it was harder on me than on her. The COVID procedures at the dental vet were even more extreme than her regular vet - no human to human contact whatsoever - I had to leave her in the closed vestibule and they collected her. Luckily she still fit (but barely) in her puppy crate which is what I left her in (rather than putting on their slip lead and leaving her which was the other option), so my hope is that while she understandably dislikes the tiny crate, yesterday will be the last time for that one, and she won't have had a bad experience with a vestibule since she was in the crate for the entry and exit (I plan to try a vestibule for fun again ASAP).

She's acting totally herself today. Last night I went to the first day of a puppy class, which was a humans-only intro to the class and learning theory. Our homework is to practice conditioning her to the reward anchor "yes" by giving her 85 tiny treats (!) (the class doesn't use clickers for understandable noise/confusion reasons). The teacher also suggested we use time outs in the crate for obnoxious behaviors (just as long as needed till the puppy settles). The combination of these two exercises/practices transformed her morning monstrous behavior today. She barely tried to harass my daughter at all and was mostly offering us pleasant behavior like patiently sitting or lying down in her crate. Hopefully her pleasantness is not just a hold over from the drugs - but I'm guessing not, since she was apparently a complete monster with the biting when I left her to go to the class last night after bringing her home from the vet. I know to expect setbacks but after all the worry about the surgery this morning was a great reward.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Relieved to hear that the surgery went well. Best wishes in the class, it sounds like it's off to a good start.

·
Premium Member
23,603 Posts
Well Oona is having a big week, isn't she! I am sure she will be happier with the errant tooth out of the way and hopefully that will make the training go very nicely. It sounds like she will be catching on quickly. As to the clicker thing I find them rather annoying and distracting in classes, but think if you can juggle leash, clicker, treats, etc on your own they are fine. Personally I never had great clicker timing, but I have great verbal feedback timing.

Reactions: Oonapup

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well Oona is having a big week, isn't she! I am sure she will be happier with the errant tooth out of the way and hopefully that will make the training go very nicely. It sounds like she will be catching on quickly. As to the clicker thing I find them rather annoying and distracting in classes, but think if you can juggle leash, clicker, treats, etc on your own they are fine. Personally I never had great clicker timing, but I have great verbal feedback timing.
Yeah, it makes total sense that they don't want us to use it in a group class - I can't imagine the dogs can sort it out that easily either. The trainer says she does use a clicker for teaching certain things so isn't against it at home by any means. I have been much better with the verbal cue than I was when I tried the clicker years ago with my family's dog.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts