Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swear, every time Fly is being photographed she yawns, NONSTOP. It's hilarious. Even if the camera is in my hands turned off. She's such a character sometimes.

Oh, and you have to love those loooong poodle legs!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
haha, cute!!!

It might pay to do a bit more work with the camera though, yawning out of context like that (and licking their lips) is a 'calming signal' and basically she's saying she's not entirely happy about it. Obviously she's not 'upset' either, but she's possibly not comfortable when you've got the camera. I'd be getting treats out every time the camera is around to change the associations, cos personally I like a dog that loves the camera! haha

It can be natural to be unsure about the camera, it gets shoved into their face, it makes odd noises and flashes, and generally we pay no real attention to the dog when the camera is out; we're looking at the screen on the camera to get a pic!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the insight (now I feel kind of bad =[ )! I didn't even think of this. She doesn't seem to be too uncomfortable, she's always trying to get her nose in the camera too. But I do see how this makes sense. I also try not to use the flash when possible, to make her more comfortable.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
yeah, she's certainly not *un*happy about it, I can see that! But perhaps not totally thrilled with the idea either is all! Just the licking/yawning thing are generally accepted as 'calming signals' (google it for more info) so when something consistantly causes her to do that it might be something to be aware of. Being young and not actually upset about it at all, I'm sure it'll be easy to change her mind (with adding positive connections like treats!) about it before she did get unhappy!

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
It's good to know about calming signals. Thanks for teaching me something new! :D LOL...not hard I know, but I still enjoy it.

I love the 5th picture. It's like you just told her the funniest story ever. She looks so soft!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for sharing about the calming signals. I also recognized it last night when I was trimming her nails. I did get out the treats before hand and kept giving them to her whenever she held her paw completely still. She was very relaxed after a few minutes. Did this with the camera too. Always wonderful to learn even the littlest things to strengthen the bond and teach them to be more comfortable. =]

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I only learned about calming signals a year or so ago, but it made a BIG difference in handling grooming clients every day, I suddenly spotted minor lil behaviours that hinted that they weren't comfortable, and I could respond to them and they'd settle all the more! hehe

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
You should get a small jet capable of flying to New York and convert it into a mobile grooming salon. I'm sure you could teach Paris to fly it, no problem! :D

As for Fly, I love that pic where she looks like she's laughing. haha! She's really pretty and I do love the long poodle legs!

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
You did get one without a yawn! I like the leggy one too. I didn't know that either about the yawning and licking so I learned something new too. Thanks. Our dogs are so used to the camera that they get bored with it now. We always have treats to get them excited again. Some of them also anticipate the flash and shut their eyes as I shoot. I throw away a lot of funny pics of poodles with their eyes closed tight.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts