Poodle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hello.........I have a soon to be 15 year old toy and a soon to be 1 year old standard......I love them both so much!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hi there! I have two toys and a standard.
Welcome! I have a 15.5 year old Toy and an 8 month old Standard.
Rockporters........does your 8 month old standard bother your 15.5 year old toy too much?.........sometimes I think I need another puppy so my soon to be 1 year old has someone to play with all the time....not just on puppy class days.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Rockporters........does your 8 month old standard bother your 15.5 year old toy too much?.........sometimes I think I need another puppy so my soon to be 1 year old has someone to play with all the time....not just on puppy class days.
Yes, Jasper really would like Nat to play with him. Of course being a BIG puppy he is sometimes too rough. He tries not to be, but he sometimes miscalculates his pounces. Oops!

Nat's not so playful in his old age. However he is used to big dogs so has no qualms with kicking Jasper's butt LOL. He'll put him in his place without thinking twice. I gate both sides of a hallway and if I think it's getting to be too much I'll stick Nat in there for peace, or I'll put Jasper in his crate. For a while Jasper was being a bit dominant with food but Nat won that battle. Jasper knows that Nat will take him out over food LOL. They share quite nicely most of the time.

Slowly but surely they're finding a happy spot together. My GR was thoughtful and extremely careful (gentle). Jasper is more dive in head first... think later LOL. It took Nat a while to get used to that.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Rockporters, thanks for your reply.........I too am hoping they find their happy spot together, except Libra my 15 year old does not put Leila in her place......Libra has always been so docile, she has never been the least bit aggressive in any way with any other dog or person....Libra is the BEST dog I have ever own......Libra is the MAIN REASON I fell in love with the poodle breed. Leila is slowing learning to leave Libra alone....after many "LEAVE IT's" Leila finally leaves Libra alone until the next bout of puppy playfulness come out in Leila......sometimes I too separate them when I think Libra needs to be rescued and give her a little piece and quiet.....but Leila is getting better all the time...Leila will be 1 year old tomorrow and time has sure flown by. I hope to have Libra and Leila around together for many more years to come.
Yes, Jasper really would like Nat to play with him. Of course being a BIG puppy he is sometimes too rough. He tries not to be, but he sometimes miscalculates his pounces. Oops!

Nat's not so playful in his old age. However he is used to big dogs so has no qualms with kicking Jasper's butt LOL. He'll put him in his place without thinking twice. I gate both sides of a hallway and if I think it's getting to be too much I'll stick Nat in there for peace, or I'll put Jasper in his crate. For a while Jasper was being a bit dominant with food but Nat won that battle. Jasper knows that Nat will take him out over food LOL. They share quite nicely most of the time.

Slowly but surely they're finding a happy spot together. My GR was thoughtful and extremely careful (gentle). Jasper is more dive in head first... think later LOL. It took Nat a while to get used to that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We have 2 standards and my aunt wants a toy. Sometimes we might take of each others poodles but I'm afraid if my poodles could hurt a toy if she gets one.

Has anyone had a problem with a couple of standards with toy together?

·
Registered
429 Posts
I don't have 2 standards, but I do have one standard along with my toy. When they play fight, it's usually pretty rough. So far no injuries. My toy is usually the instigator and seems to be the more dominant of the two. They're both still pups with the toy being 10 months and the standard being 5 months....so there's a lot of energy between the two of them.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have 2 Standard Poodles, 2 & 4 years old and a 9 month old Toy Poodle....the Standards play with him so well that it amazes me every time...I love how the Standards get down low to be eye level with the Toy....I might have had to interject once or twice not because the Toy was yelping or anything like that just because I thought he should be rescued at that moment.....also, I noticed that the Standards usually take turns playing with the Toy.... It's like watching them share their own dog toys :) ... They have never ganged up on him together which I am happy about....I'm sure your Standards and your Aunt's Toy (when she gets one) will be just fine...the little guy will be able to take care of himself...Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I have had a standard and a toy,and didn't have any problems,my toy was in charge and that was that! Now have a standard aged 1 and a small mini pup aged 5 months who is the size of a toy and they are great together. My standard lays down to play with her,and rolls on his back and she chucks herself about all over him. Standards know when they have to be gentle.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Wow!! It is so good to hear about others with standards and toys! Rhett is 13 months and Jippy is 5 months and as I have read it can be wonderful and challenging. Rhett tries to mug Jippy when they play.. Mouthing and swapping kisses are pretty standard. I worry that Rhett will accidentally turn him into a chew toy! But Jippy instigates his version of rough play. So I am not alone in my concerns.. Thanks for starting this thread!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Billy and Tia asleep together on the bed.

This is billy the spoo with Tia,the tiny mpoo pup asleep on our bed. They love snuggling up together and especially seem to like laying with their faces close together. Big and little dogs often get on very well together if introduced properly.

Attachments

·
Registered
901 Posts
Carrie-e,
Please explain how to properly introduce a spoo and a toy... I am always looking to improve my pack dynamics... I really want my boys to interact more with less worry on my part. I worry that being careful has caused issues. Also it could give more insight as to how to introduce any future poodles to the gang:)

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I don't claim to be an expert on this and I think a lot depends on the ages of the dogs involved and their temperaments. When I got my toy he was 8 weeks old and my standard was 3 and very docile. We sat with them in our room and Barney my standard washed Toby the toy all over,he was drenched! Toby used to lay snuggled up on Barneys shoulder,it was very sweet and we were able to let them be together very quickly. When we got my mini pup,she was 8 weeks old and my standard boy billy was 9 months old. He came with us to collect her and sat in the room at the breeders on his lead of course,but just watched the five pups playing. Then we got home and we went in our room and let them sniff each other,I had billy on his lead. My little girl Tia never seemed scared of him and that night she slept on top of his head on our bed! For the first month or so I had to watch them in the garden as she would run about and he would chase her and could get a bit over excited so I was very careful there. They were fine in the house,it was usually Tia who initiated play and bill would always lay down to play with her. I do think you have to be careful when introducing any dogs together and toys and tiny mini pups are fragile so you must exercise some caution. I hope that has been some help,I think I've been very lucky with my dogs and how they have got on together.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Thank you for your honest answer!!! My boys interact with supervision all times. Rhett is still trying to treat him like a squeak toy. I admit it does worry me but Jippy just mouths back to the best of his ability.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I'm sure jippy can hold his own! Tia lays on her back quite often and billy will poke her with his big nose,but she doesn't seem to mind! In fact she is quite rough with him sometimes,she jumps up and hangs off his ears and bites his face! He makes the dearest little noise when they are playing,it's very sweet! If we are out and we meet a small dog Billy lays down! Think he realises he is big and needs to be more at a little dogs level!
If billy and Tia's play gets too rough she will squeak and I say "gentle" as he does need reminding sometimes. I think as they get older the play will get less,which I'm sure will happen with your two aswell,a bit sad in a way!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts