Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's one month tomorrow that I started the boys on a full raw diet.
They are looking AWESOME. Flip has gained 2lbs (of muscle) and Jack has stayed the same, but toned up completely. Very weird. Jack's eye, skin and ear issues are gone, and his teeth look like I just did a dental on them.

Flip's teeth were always in good shape because I was brushing them until I started Raw. I stopped, but they are whiter and shinier than ever.

They both LOVE to eat now (Both were on the picky side with kibble) and take their time gnawing away. I taught them both to eat on towels. :)

This is, hands down, the best decision I ever made for them!

·
Registered
708 Posts
They are looking AWESOME. Flip has gained 2lbs (of muscle) and Jack has stayed the same, but toned up completely. Very weird. Jack's eye, skin and ear issues are gone, and his teeth look like I just did a dental on them.

Flip's teeth were always in good shape because I was brushing them until I started Raw. I stopped, but they are whiter and shinier than ever.

They both LOVE to eat now (Both were on the picky side with kibble) and take their time gnawing away. I taught them both to eat on towels. :)

Good for you!!! It's fun isn't it.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh my gosh, yes.

My husband and I are searching for a freezer so we can buy from a co-op.
I ordered some rabbits from Hare Today this week too!

I am SO glad I switched them.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts

That's great to hear! I wish I had the time and stomach for this. We have tried every great rated food and still cannot get Olie's eyes better.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not as hard as you think! Honestly, it's easier than kibble with supplements in my opinion. :)

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I am so glad you made the switch to raw. I have a little poo mix nearly 21 years old and her teeth and skin are perfect. She used to be plagued by every problem know. Not any more.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Taxtell...you may have inspired me to take the leap! I have wanted to feed raw ever since I lost my Belgian Tervuren to stomach cancer. Thanks for sharing your success!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Do you follow a feeding plan or do you just make it up as you go along? May I ask which supplements you use and why you decided to choose those? I am considering making this leap myself, and have done much research, but still concerned about mucking it up :confusffed: Thanks so much for sharing!

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Yea!!! Good going Taxtell. Thanks for sharing your success.

I stopped mixing the kibble with raw and made the leap to a totally raw diet.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Yay for the boys!!! Im so glad they are doing well on it and switched easily!! Its amazing the changes you will see that you never expected. I think my favorite benefit of the diet is how nice it keeps the teeth and breath (esp working and cleaning bad teeth everyday)!!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I am so glad to hear that you are already seeing benefits !!! How wonderful : )

I hope that I will be able to use raw when I get my sopoo !

Yes - please share what you feed your dogs :):):)

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
good for you!

If your feeding just one it's not that expensive going with premade. I feed 3 :p so i get my own- literally i called a chicken plant and buy their 'offs" we get 20kg packages of ground 35kg pckages of chicken backs (with an occasional thigh thrown in) SO nice of meat- price? so darn cheap (.50/lb) then i just toss tripe in.

My old aussie has IBS- his new vet didn't believe me sa he hsa great stools. And was a very very picky eater before raw- he's got the best weight on him ever.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Glad to see this thread! I'm seriously considering raw but am considering costs as well, please share what you feed and cost in comparison to kibble. The benefits seem endless. I myself have considered switching to a raw diet to reap the benefits after watching a documentary called "Reversing Diabetes in 30 Days". Maybe I'll take the plunge!

·
Registered
448 Posts
That's great to hear! I wish I had the time and stomach for this. We have tried every great rated food and still cannot get Olie's eyes better.
Does Olie have a tearing issue? If so, try finding a food with pork. Origen's has one with boar... but I was really thinking of another one... name slips my mind but it's a green bag and company is something like Organics.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Do you follow a feeding plan or do you just make it up as you go along? May I ask which supplements you use and why you decided to choose those? I am considering making this leap myself, and have done much research, but still concerned about mucking it up :confusffed: Thanks so much for sharing!
Hi!

I am probably a little more adventurous about variety than a lot of people because it's fun!

It's not hard to do, honest. I try to stick to an 80/10/10, so that's 80% meat, 10% bone and 10% organ.
I started by feeding only chicken quarters (and drumsticks for my cavalier) for the first few week, then I added turkey, then pork, then beef, then duck and then organs. The key with organs, as bigpoodleperson (who has been an awesome wealth of info) is to GO SLOW. I added about a dime size to each of their meals per day until they can tolerate more. Now I just freeze pureed liver in icecube trays and cover it up with saran wrap. Flip gets a liver cube once per day and Jack gets about 1/4 of one. Flip is 45lbs, Jack is about 12.

I posted on craigslist and got some free venison that went over well with the boys. I also ordered from Hare Today and got some rabbit, rabbit heads, goat, green tripe and organ meat, including pancreas.

Our usual day's feeding is like this:
In the AM Flip gets a whole chicken quarter and a liver cube. I know this seems like a lot, but bear in mind Flip is a very active dog and not quite a year yet, and he's maintaining weight/energy level perfectly. We also do agility once a week and dog park about 3-4 times, in addition to walking and his playtime with me and other dogs (and PJ the cat) at work. Jack the Cavalier gets a drumstick or chicken neck, or even some gizzards (he loves them, but remember, they are not considered organ) and part of his liver cube. In the evening they get their variety meat. Last week I bought a big grisly beef roast for $5.00 and it lasted them 5 days. I've given them pork ribs, turkey neck, rump roast, turkey thighs, beef ribs (boneless or bone in, but the bones are a bit tough, so I take them away after a bit), venison, etc.
I weighed out their food at first so they'd get 2.5% of their body weight, but I stopped that. Now I just eyeball it. I also gave them a can of Merrick's BG (Before Grain) salmon for a 'fish meal', as there is no way in heck I am feeding them whole raw fish in the house. Sure they stay on their towels, but the smell of fish gags me. Even the canned stuff makes me ill.

The only supplement they get is one fish body oil capsule per day. :) I personally don't believe they need any more than that, they get what they need through meat. However, I chose fish oil because most meat is grain fed, rather than grass fed, and lacking in omega fatty acids. My dislike for fish doesn't help them get any either!

Bigpoodle person helped me 'take the leap' as it were. I think it's great to have a mentor so please feel free to ask any questions you might have!
I will list some websites that were helpful too.

I like this one because they break things down nicely, like freezer space vs. lbs of meat, etc, and the couple who run the site are very nice:
http://preymodelraw.com/

This guy knows his stuff too:
http://www.skylarzack.com/rawfeeding.htm

The yahoo raw feeding groups are good, but the people can be totally rude and obnoxious, so I mostly just lurk:
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/RawChat/

Freecycle and Craigslist is very helpful too.
I found venison through craigslist, and some freezerburned turkey and chicken through freecyle (FREE FOOD WOO).

There was some controversy about certain brands of fish oil so be careful with what you choose:
http://www.edf.org/page.cfm?tagID=16536

Good luck!

Don't be afraid, it wasn't bad to switch at all, and my dogs look better than they ever have.

I'm thrilled with the results.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh, cost.
It is averaging out to about $2.00 a day for us at the moment, but bear in mind we don't have a freezer to store mass quantities (YET).

This is my co-op's price list for when we order bulk in the future:
Necks (40# - skinless) - .45
wings (40#) - 1.84
backs (40#) - .32
Ckx Qtrs (40# bulk - fresh) - .49
Chx Qtrs (4/10# - frozen) - .49
Ckx Drums (40# bulk fresh or frozen) - .69
Chx Drums - Smaller (40# ) .79 (fresh)
Chx Breast bone-in (40# - bulk) - .97
Chx Breast bone-in (12/40# - frozen) - .85
Ckx breast skinless/boneless (4/10# fresh) - 1.31
Ckx breast skinless/boneless (40# frozen) - 1.29
Ckx Liver (8/5#) - .69
Ckx Gizzards (4/10#) - .79
turkey Gizzards (30# bulk) - 1.09
turkey (12/1# tubes) - 1.15
turkey (2/10# tubes) - 1.12
hamburger (12/3# tubes) - 1.35
Beef Ribs (40#-50#) - .69
beef heart (50#-60#) - .69
beef liver (30#) - .89
beef kidney (30#) - .49
pork kidney (30#) - .49
Pork butt (50#-80#) - .89
Pork boneless rib(40#) - .99
whole Tilapia (with head) (40#) - 1.25

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
My goodness Taxtel - you can write a book :first: with all of that info and tips !!!!! THANKS SO MUCH FOR SHARING !!!!!:flowers:

I will print this out right now : ))) !!!!!

Thanks also to everybody else who chimed in :) !!!!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts