Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just reading Mufar's thread about how Renn is growing up so nicely. And he tends to be only into her...not so much other people in the family. He sounds like a one man dog. But of course, that can change I suppose as some time goes on and depending on if the others take part more in his care. Sometimes that make a difference. Or sometimes it's nice to have a one man dog.

But that made me think of what I've been experiencing lately with Maurice, my wee black poodle. It's something that has never happened before with any of my past dogs, even super friendly ones. I don't know whether to train this out of him or just forget it. I suppose I can reinforce more...have little practice sessions and teach him what how much better it is to come along than not.

Here's the issue: He really likes other people. Both of my poodles do but he reeeeeeeeeeelly likes other people, loves to stop and chat on our walks through the neighborhood. And then when I say it's time to go, once in a while he comes right along but most of the time he plants his feet and wants to stay right there with the person.

Yesterday we took a marvelous hike and at the end where you can sit on a bench or look at the map and info thing on the board, we did. We sat and started talking to the people next to us. They made a fuss over the tpoos, naturally. I mean....who wouldn't, right? LOL. :angel::angel: Then when I wanted to leave, Maurice again planted his feet, wouldn't budge. I've never run into this before. This is a fairly new thing. Then he did finally, with a little tug and "let's go" and we walked along and there was another man sitting on another bench. I was just going to keep on walking and then Maurice stopped dead in his tracks....wanted to say, "hi" to the guy. (usually this only happens when I stop in the first place and start chatting) It was kind of embarrassing. Then I gave a little tug and he refused. Then I picked him up and carried him a little ways and put him down and he walked the rest of the way back along the trail. OMG. Should I fix this or would I be squelching his free spirit? LOL. :hippie::peace:

What would you do? Would you take something like this seriously? I suppose if you have a heavy dog, you wouldn't want to get into a pulling contest. I guess I'm just glad I have dogs that aren't aggressive or ornery. But they sure are love children. Lol. Actually, Matisse is more of a mama's boy and though he likes to get attention from other people, he is not as into it as Maurice.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Renn is basically a one personWe dog mainly because no one else partook in his care. Only when they felt like it. Weare working on it. I tell him its ok to go say hi. He likes everyone in the house and will sit for a pet but then he comes running back to me. He is just starting to initiate with the others in the house, that is also a good sign.

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
Hmmm, that’s cute and annoying at the same time.

I guess it depends on you. Maybe sometimes you can let it go and sometimes not, especially when you see other people aren’t into dogs ?

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And here's the thing...he doesn't get a look on his face, you know...that facial expression that says he insists on his own way. He just looks the same...matter of fact. He just stands there. Duh. LOL. I guess it's because he makes me laugh. I can make him come along with a couple of good little tugs. Certainly I can out-strength him. But I guess I find it sort of amusing. I wouldn't let him hang out with someone who isn't into dogs. But most everyone here in this area is. That's the funniest thing. Okay, well, I guess I can be more insistent. I probably don't have to really do any big training task. "Just come the heck along Maury." (a couple of quick, light tugs and he will) :creep: I find in my old age that I take these things less seriously than I use to. If he were a big, heavy dog, he wouldn't get away with it and that's a fact.:amen: It's true...toy breeds do get away with more. :angel:

Reactions: Dechi

·
Registered
582 Posts
After dealing with Raven’s people aversions, it sounds like it would be a wonderful problem to have LOL. As you said at least he is a small dog and easy to get moving again. My mother’s sheltie/pom mix does the same thing. She LOVES to go see new people and my mother walks with a rollator walker so sometimes she just sits down and waits.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After dealing with Raven’s people aversions, it sounds like it would be a wonderful problem to have LOL. As you said at least he is a small dog and easy to get moving again. My mother’s sheltie/pom mix does the same thing. She LOVES to go see new people and my mother walks with a rollator walker so sometimes she just sits down and waits.

Haha...your mother sounds like me. I look at it this way. They're people too and we ought to consider their feelings and do a little compromising, right? :love2::yin-yang:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Someone may have overdone getting Maurice comfortable with strangers.He needs a cue that says "this person is okay". I use, "say hello", but usually people think I am telling them to say hello to the dog, so maybe a different cue!

When the dog hears "say hello", he knows the person is safe to approach and will get a pet. I think if you put a hello on your dog it will help in the long run. You walk past some people, greet others. Only the people you say are to be greeted get greeted. You may need to use treats to pull him away from someone he insists he must greet. You may need a cue that means "do not greet", but you may not.

I would then use treats to lure him away and include a recall word. The first ten times, let him go back to the person after coming away from them. First time, just a step or two away, 2nd time, a little farther, etc. He is a smart dog so you can progress pretty quickly. The 11th time you keep going. Mix it up; you know the routine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts