Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tango and I headed to the vet early this morning as our hunt for a diagnosis continues. Tango continues to struggle with GI issues. Her cortisol level was checked in May and found to be at the low end of the average range. Other baseline labs were ok. We are back this morning for an ACTH test to see if we are looking at Atypical Addison's. We rarely go more than 7 days without some kind of GI upset. Tango is taking a dose of Proviable every morning, which is helping. Hopefully we eventually get answers and help this little beauty's gut stabilize.

Sent from my LM-X410(FG) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Hope the vet can figure it out. My terrier was having go upset, after spending over a thousand dollars she is eating science diet canned digestive, with a probiotic. Problem solved. She now eats every day, no more throwing up of poorly formed stool. They wanted to test further but this is working. I tried to add a little of her old food back and the first thing I notice she started to have gassy looking stool, not slid though forms. so we are sticking with the SD for now. Hope it works out well for you.

·
Premium Member
23,178 Posts
I am sorry you are going through this. Poor Tango and poor you. I hope you get a good answer asap (like yesterday).

Every time I read a post like your I am very grateful for my dogs' good health. I wish the same for all dogs!

Reactions: jennkpeterson

·
Registered
306 Posts
One of my foster Bostons threw up everything except raw. Well, no one is going to adopt a dog if they have to feed raw, I needed him to eat kibble. I started giving him kefir milk on kibble and found it worked wonders. Kefir has 32 probiotics, and you can make it at home, like sourdough starter.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got the results, Tango's ACTH test was normal. Yay! But also frustrating since we will still be trying to figure out what is causimg the GI issues. Vet is recommending changing to a food that is higher in fiber. Gotta start sifting through nutrition information and comparing foods.

Sent from my LM-X410(FG) using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
23,178 Posts
At this point I would suggest getting NutriScan analysis rather than doing blind changes. He might need a different protein source or something with no corn, etc....

All of our dogs had various mall health issues that cleared up when I changed their food based on NutriScan. If you have insurance you should get it covered there since you are diagnosing a health problem.

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
Poor Tango. Thank goodness it’s not Atypical Addison’s.

My dog was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. I had problems with her food. At some point the vet prescribed the hydrolysis protein kibble for sensitive stomachs and she did a little better. Then I thought about all the foods we had tried to look for common potential allergens looking for patterns. I knew each time she had fish we were up at 4 am throwing up with bloody diarrhea. So I ruled out fish. I also realized legumes where a problem. In addition she didn’t handle the high fat that’s in most highly rated dog food. I started to home cook for her a similar diet to what I used to feed my tpoo who had pancreatitis. It’s a higher fiber, moderate protein and low fat diet than most dog food. That solved all her digestive issues. I did add legumes once to her food and she got sick that night at 3 am throwing up, diarrhea. She even did better on the home cooked than the vet’s prescription kibble.

Since figuring this out, my dog has not had any digestive issues except the time she ate a large piece of fatty hotdog that someone left on the floor in my agility class.

I hope if you can figure out the right food then Tango will be fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts