Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
A few months ago I posted a thread ask if I sould spay Olive. I have decided to spay her. Thank you for all the information that really helped me make this important desision. On this thread I will be giving updates on her spay and recovery and asking any questions. Olive's spay is tomorrow. Olive is now about 10 months old. My first questions are how to take care of her before and after the spay. Olive's vet has allready told me to not give her food tomorrow morning. Can I exercise Olive before her spay? How can I make sure she is resting after the spay.
Thank you,
Olive and Kia

·
Premium Member
4,151 Posts
Sending good thoughts for an uneventful procedure and recovery. Will your vet have a second tech monitoring Olive thru and after the procedure? This is what's done with humans while in surgery and after and helps keep potential issues from being missed. Having an IV catheter in place if there should be a need to administer some additional meds is another good idea.

For exercise prior, assuming you mean the day of the procedure, I've not seen this addressed in my research but I'd think nothing more than a normal but brief walk. Our dogs were always in to the vets quite early, 7am or so, so there was no question of exercise time.

After the procedure, on the day, she'll be groggy from the anesthetic and pain med. Be sure they provide some additional pain meds to get her thru at least 2-3 days after. It may not be needed but better to have it on hand rather than see her in pain when the ER vet is your only option til your vet opens up again. She may not want to eat til quite late, if at all, the day of the procedure but should have an appetite by the next morning. Make sure she drinks water even if she doesn't want to eat.

To keep her resting for the 10 days to 2 weeks needed to heal, she'll need to be crated or in an expen so her activity possibilities are strictly limited if she's not directly supervised. She should be able to walk to her potty places and in a day or so if she's up to it, resume leashed, short walks once a day, but no running or jumping til she's healed.

The plastic cones often don't fit too well and can be very disconcerting to her. Probably the most successful choice is a onesie, human infant adapted to poodle or designed for poodles, which will stop her from getting to the site. Especially as the incision heals, it may start itching and she will want to lick, scratch, or bite there. This must be avoided.

·
Premium Member
13,289 Posts
My vets always advise giving the dogs a short walk to allow them to toilet before any procedure, for the comfort of all involved. No food for at least 12 hours before the op, of course, although mine don't suggest restricting water.

Your vets should give you detailed instructions for managing her recovery, and PtP has covered all the essentials - pain relief; something to prevent her worrying at the incision; no vigorous exercise, and especially no jumping or running, until the wound has healed. Sometimes the pain relief given during the procedure can be so effective that the patient wants to start bouncing immediately, so be ready to work on keeping things calm and restrained. Make sure you know where to call in case of any anxieties

Meals in Kongs (if she likes them) and brain games will help to keep her occupied as she recovers - hunt the treat all safely at floor or nose level, paper cups with a treat hidden under one, Ottosson toys, etc, etc.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your replies,
I have just dropped Olive off at the vet. I will be setting up a crate and pen around it. For the first few days I will be using puppy pads insead of taking her outside. But the problem is that Olive is very fiesty and even in her pen, sometimes she jumps and stands to get attention. Does anyone have ideas about what I should do after she finishes her kong and treat hunts because I can only give it to her about twice a day because it is unhealy to be eating treats all the time.
Thank you,
Olive Love

·
Premium Member
13,289 Posts
I would allocate at least 20-30% of her daily calories to treats, make really healthy ones and cut them very small, and then use them for games, hunts, etc. With a bit of thought treats can be just as healthy as main meals - they can even be exactly the same as main meals! If you feed her kibble use that; if you feed anything else turn some of it into treat sized bits. I make up a batter of chicken, chicken stock, egg and flour and bake it in a silicone dimple mat - the treats are around 1kcal each, and the dogs get 20-30 each a day.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
If she is very active your vet can give you a sedative that can help to calm her. I found a cone helpful to reduce activity for the first several days. Harder to bounce around in a cone.

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
(((Hugs))). Good luck to you and Olive. I hope she recovers quickly and uneventfully

Reactions: Olive Love

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just picked Olive up. Her spay went well and she is wearing her e-collar. She is very sleepy and Olive has no energy at all. It takes all her strength to even sit up with her head held high. Her vet gave me some instructions and medications. I hope Olive recovers swiftly.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hope all goes well today.

I took my last girl out for leashed potty times after her spay. She would have been very confused if I'd asked her to use pads.
I am not asking her to use pads. I have put her in her pen and covered the floor with pads so whenever she needs she can use them.

·
Premium Member
13,289 Posts
Hope she is feeling better this morning.

Reactions: Olive Love

·
Premium Member
Mia, Christmas in June 2010
2,846 Posts
Glad to hear the surgery went well. Hoping you both had an easy, restful night.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I slept on a matteres in Olive's pen. We had a great night. In the morning she ate her pill but she rejected her siringe. She has a bit more energy so I am in her pen most of the time to keep her from jumping and trying to escape.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
You and I are experiencing a spay at the same time. Violet’s was last Thursday. She spends most of her time on a short leash with me or my husband, and we have an x pen and crate. She wears pajamas that snap at the back, and those have been a lifesaver. I have an inflatable donut instead of a cone, but I only use it occasionally for short periods because she finds it objectionable. A few minutes of wear time and she doesn’t go back to trying to investigate what’s going on down there.

Her back hair comes up through the pj snap closures- and she looks a little stegosaurus-y!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would want to try pjs but she hates clotes more than she hates her cone and she tears clothes. I just do not want that to happen. Her vet gave me a cone instead of clothes because they know she is fiesty. The cone is best.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts