• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Olive is back! She is having a little bit of eye problems. I have noticed some green discharge in her eyes. Olive was taken to the vet. The vet said that it is nothing much, maybe minor inflamation? She told me to keep an eye on Olive and watch for squinting and redness. After going to the vet I saw more pus in Olive's eye. What should I do?
Thank you,
Olive Love

·
Premium Member
24,640 Posts
This doesn't sound normal to me. Maybe you can take a picture to send to the vet to show you think it is worse? Or get a 2nd opinion.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Misha has a little bit of clear discharge in his eyes every day. It is allergies. Occasionally he gets yellow-green discharge. This usually goes away after a few days. If it is very bad and does not go away, I have taken him to the vet for ointment/drops. But most of the time it resolves on its own. So the vet may be right, and I would monitor it to see if it goes away. If it is excessive it will need medication to clear up.

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
Asta has had some eye goop that sounds a lot like yours. Vet suspected allergies, which are on in full force in the south, and put Asta on Benadryl. Ask your vet for a proper dosage as it is very different for dogs than humans.

Reactions: Liz

·
Registered
213 Posts
I was told by my vet to use human eye drops (make sure only saline) on Bailey who regularly gets the green-yellow eye goop. She doesn't close her eyes when she sleeps + she has allergies.
She's a Shih Tzu though..

·
Super Moderator
4,237 Posts
Hi, sorry little Olive has this problem. I wondered back in February what was going on her with eye from this picture:

It sounds like whatever was going on, it's gotten worse. Now she's got green discharge and pus, and this usually indicates an infection.

Email that photo and any other recent one to the vet. Since you presumably already paid the vet for one exam, I would request he write prescription that I could pick up with no further charge since it hasn't improved. It could be conjunctivitis, cherry eye, a stubborn bacterial infection and requires treatment with anti-bacterial eye drops and an antibiotic. I hope he told you that Visine and many other over the counter eye drops which contain more than saline should be avoided since these are not approved for use in dogs, see the link below.

What Can Cause Eye Issues for Dogs?

If your dog has dry, itchy, red eyes, there can be several different causes that should be evaluated by the vet. Among these are:
  • Conjunctivitis – a common eye inflammation
  • An eye condition like glaucoma or cherry eye
  • Allergic reactions to things like grasses, pollens, chemicals, or other substances
  • Some type of foreign body like dirt or an insect in the eye
  • A scratched cornea

If your dog displays symptoms of an eye condition, such as excessive tearing or the secretion of pus or other discharge, it is very important that you take them in to see the vet immediately for a proper diagnosis and treatment...

Read more at: Are Visine and OTC Eye Drops Safe for My Dog?

Good luck!

·
Registered
Elroy: Standard Poodle
2,026 Posts
If your dog displays symptoms of an eye condition, such as excessive tearing...

I don't know the definition of normal tearing vs. excessive tearing. I'm assuming his tearing is normal. I have to wipe clean Elroy's eye tears a couple of times a day (I use a wet wash cloth). It seems to come back within several hours (maybe 4-6 hrs) and I'll either ignore it, or wash it off again. His eyes themselves seem fine. I've been washing eye tears daily since I got him. Is this normal?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts