Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cheers,
I am Stacey and this is my lender of last resort. I speak large dogs but due to lifestyle changes I had to have a dog smaller than a cat. Oliver is a miniature poodle and is the most well adjusted pup I have ever had as a canine companion. To say potty training is problematic is an understatement. I am a bit of a laudite when it comes to loading photos from phone to laptop or would include pictures. I am looking forward to commiserating with all of the members but may be high maintenance for the first few weeks. Greetings all and grateful I have found this forum!!!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Welcome! My mini is 8 months old and finally getting the hang of it. I feel your pain. I have to be very observant and he finally has developed a predictable pooping schedule now that I have changed his food to homemade with a pre mix. Gates and swiffer are my best defense in keeping my house clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,196 Posts
Welcome!

My mini mix was only ever 98% potty trained. I had to be extremely diligent about letting her out on a regular schedule and, even when she had the ability to hold it for long periods, I had to build in extra toilet breaks after any rigorous activity or excitement to avoid accidents. In her last year, we went down to about 50/50, especially with poops. I loved her through it all.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Hi and Welcome to you and Oliver!

How old is Oliver? Tell us more specifics and we'll be able to offer suggestions. Catching on to housetraining naturally will vary by dog, and our personal experiences will also, but one pretty steady thing is that their body is simply too immature til around 6 months to physically be able to hold their eliminations. They catch on to the idea earlier than they're able to accomplish it.

·
Premium Member
4,108 Posts
Would you care for Shirlee Kalstone's book, "How to housebreak your dog in 7 days. Kalstone is also the author of the Poodle grooming book (forget the exact title, at home we just call it the Kahlstone book.

Anyway if you have an interest in the book, I have a copy that I would like to re-home. Totally free as it is a small book so will not need very much postage.

And yes, Asta did learn housebreaking early following the advice in the book. He made a few mistakes, my mistakes not his.

·
Premium Member
9,697 Posts
Welcome to you both! I also agree that the accidents are really more on the owner, than the puppy. Lots of praise and a shower of treats when he gets it right. No free rein in the house until he’s at 100%. Takes a while to figure out their digestive schedule and add a few other “insurance” outings. Been there:)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

How old is Oliver? Tell us more specifics and we'll be able to offer suggestions. Catching on to housetraining naturally will vary by dog, and our personal experiences will also, but one pretty steady thing is that their body is simply too immature til around 6 months to physically be able to hold their eliminations. They catch on to the idea earlier than they're able to accomplish it.
Thank you so much for your response.I certainly found the right forum. I am humbled by all the responses and may just highlight and copy the bullet points to all to expand my options and explore all opinions.
1) Oliver is a few days shy of 5 months.He goes out and defecates and urinates upon waking up in the AM. He does not expel all of it though. I must take him out for quite a few hours ( at most 3 at least 2) to expel the balance.
2) He indicates when he has to go by nipping at my pants or legs as well as chewing on his leash but will either just sit at the designated potty place or when we are out just will not go.
3) He has no problem expelling in the bedroom often in a larger amount than outdoors. Just when I think we have made it successfully one day, I will find that he has urinated when I was not looking.
4) I have tried the attachment technique and that seemed to induce him to go inside more often while not signalling me that he has to go.
All this said he brings me more joy and has enhanced the quality of my life more than words can fully communicate. The issue is that I rent (soooo grateful for the sealant on the hardwood floors) and eventually the cleaners will begin to erode the floors. I am also adamant to not use puppy pads since he is capable of going outside and I am seeing a modicum of improvement though to say it is slow is also an understatement

·
Super Moderator
5,196 Posts
I've found that running to the toilet spot helps to get things "moving." What often happens is we quietly walk our puppy outdoors, and they go a bit or not at all, and then they come inside, start playing or following us around, and BAM! Bladder and bowels are suddenly active.

Honestly, diligently following Ian Dunbar's technique will almost guarantee success. Pick up "Before And After Getting Your Puppy" and read that section, or google it. I believe the content is also online.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome! My mini is 8 months old and finally getting the hang of it. I feel your pain. I have to be very observant and he finally has developed a predictable pooping schedule now that I have changed his food to homemade with a pre mix. Gates and swiffer are my best defense in keeping my house clean.

Today was a grave set back in training. He usually indicates he has to ."go" but often just becomes overstimulated or sits as if he is bird watching or preparing for a painting.... Today, however he just left his bed and expelled a copious amount of urine. I had taken him out 45 minutes before. I then left for no longer than 7 minutes and walked into a big log. I keep thinking I should rest but often there is no consistency. Thank you for your posts. Any hard wood safe for pups would also be appreciated.
Talk soon, Stacey
Also I would love to post photos as resembles a stuffed animal but I do not know wjen I will have time to explore that with my phone. Thank you again.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Today was a grave set back in training. He usually indicates he has to ."go" but often just becomes overstimulated or sits as if he is bird watching or preparing for a painting.... Today, however he just left his bed and expelled a copious amount of urine. I had taken him out 45 minutes before. I then left for no longer than 7 minutes and walked into a big log. I keep thinking I should rest but often there is no consistency. Thank you for your posts. Any hard wood safe for pups would also be appreciated.
Talk soon, Stacey
Also I would love to post photos as resembles a stuffed animal but I do not know wjen I will have time to explore that with my phone. Thank you again.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I sent a copious reply. I must become more literate in these threads as it did not show up and somehow evaporated into the ether. I am not one to join forums. Please not I did leave quite the response and shall try again shortly. Cheers and thank you much for engaging as I know that this is only the beginning of adjusting to a pup the size of a bunny.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I sent a copious reply. I must become more literate in these threads as it did not show up and somehow evaporated into the ether. I am not one to join forums. Please not I did leave quite the response and shall try again shortly. Cheers and thank you much for engaging as I know that this is only the beginning of adjusting to a pup the size of a bunny.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oliver Wendell said:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Hi again

I wouldn't call this a grave setback. It is an accident. This will sound harsh and very definitely not intended that way, but puppy "mistakes" or "accidents" are generally considered to be the owner's responsibility, til the pup is old enough physically and mentally to take on responsibilities.

If this was potty training for a human infant, it would simply be an accident, until they are old enough to understand what is expected of them, and they are physically able to accomplish the deed by choice, not by nature's call.

For background, would you tell us how his day is structured, please?

When does he get up?
What happens right after that?
When does he get fed, what is he fed, and how much?
Is it meals (1 a day? 2 a day? 3 a day?) or just free fed?
What happens after that?
How much water for the day?
What happens after he drinks?
When does he play?
What happens after that?
When does he nap?
What happens after that?
When does he go out-is it at regular times or intervals after regular meals?
When does he go to sleep?
Is he being taken outside at 2-4 hour intervals?

After eating or drinking, he'll likely need to go.
After sleeping or napping, he'll likely need to go.
After playing, he'll likely need to go.
In other words, until his body is mature enough to recognize it's needs and he's able to actually control them some, he will not be able to.

Routine and regular events are a big help for little puppies. For example, if he eats at regular times, he'll need to eliminate at regular times.

Has he been checked by his vet, to ensure there are no physical causes for this?

Sorry, this may seem like asking a lot of information but it would be truly helpful for us to be able to picture this.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I responded yesterday with a thesis as far as Oliver Wendell Holme's age and issues. I am obviously not literate yet as far as the forum as it did not post. I even included bullet points which I will now try to replicate. he is just shy of 5 months old and I have attempted the attachment recommendation. That was a no go. Additionally he usually signals me that he has to go yet today he just expelled a full bladder with no indications. I am a renter and eventually I fear the

cleaners will strip the sealant on the hardwood floor.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bladder is only emptied inside. Allow me to walk you through the efforts. Forgive me if this sounds negative as I am so grateful for OWH and I must reiterate he has improved the quality of my life ad infinitum. Albeit I rent and at some point I fear the cleaners will start eroding the sealant on the hardwood floors. Ok. (time value of life here are the bullet points).He is out first upon waking and does both 1 and 2. He is then taken for a two tp three hour walk where there is a minuscule poop and a few tiny piddles.He crashes after walk but will still find a moment to expel his urine close to his body weight. Just when I think we have made it through a day I find the pool he has left me inside. I am out of idease but this habit just cannot continue. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thank you much for responding.
Best,
Stacey

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bladder is only emptied inside. Allow me to walk you through the efforts. Forgive me if this sounds negative as I am so grateful for OWH and I must reiterate he has improved the quality of my life ad infinitum. Albeit I rent and at some point I fear the cleaners will start eroding the sealant on the hardwood floors. Ok. (time value of life here are the bullet points).He is out first upon waking and does both 1 and 2. He is then taken for a two tp three hour walk where there is a minuscule poop and a few tiny piddles.He crashes after walk but will still find a moment to expel his urine close to his body weight. Just when I think we have made it through a day I find the pool he has left me inside. I am out of idease but this habit just cannot continue. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thank you much for responding.
Best,
Stacey

1 - 20 of 43 Posts