Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This poor dog is going through an "awkward" phase. My daughter says he is a hot mess. As you know I trimmed Olie down SHORT he has started the coat change AND in MB, SC its hot so WTH right? Well, his top knot is the most limp wispy mess. What can I do with it? It is always in his eyes and thats not good when playing fetch the poor boy was not catch balls because of it. Last night I got bored and rubber banded him a Mohawk lol - Heres a pic - also I shaved his ears down too:eek:hwell: I am to the point of taking down the top knot wondering if it would grow in any thicker.

Be honest ya'll - I am very open lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Rofl xD I love it. What a goober, he has really nice ears in my opinion! I think he would be a good looking dog regardless! If you want to shear him down and start over, I'm not sure if he'll grow thicker or not? Vegas's back hair went super curly after I clipped it, where his legs are still pretty straight.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
The thing with the coat is that their hair is kind of wavy at this point instead of kinky curly so it's so hard to get them even all over. I shaved Mia down and she has sticky outies too and I just trimmed them with shears. She's 8 months old and at this weird teenage stage where she's all legs and goofy. I'm lucky because her topknot is awesome and holds together well so I don't have to worry about it falling but Harry's did that until he was around 2 and his coat changed to that coarse poodley coat. At this point I have no advice but just trying different things.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Hey, that tophawk looks pretty cool! :)

If all he has left is the topknot, and it's bothering you/him, maybe you should just shave him all off and start anew.

Actually, maybe being bald on top will balance out the gangly legs... ?

I dunno, it's up to you.

He is very cute, regardless... Maybe you should keep the banded mowhawk and die it green! Now, that would be something! :D

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am still debating. He is a big lovable dork! We are pretty happy with trimming the ears down, he is one of those dogs that has moist ears I suppose. Yes we shall wait and see and play around as we go:)

·
Registered
288 Posts
If it's droopy and doesn't stand up, I'd just trim the topknot closer to his head. I've used Infusium spray leave-in conditioner (for people) on a foster Poodle, which helped her limp hair! lol

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I think he looks adorable..and I agree, i LOVE those shaved ears!

The topknot looks neat..but I would probably shave it off and start over. I always seem to be shaving off Vegas topknot just as he starts to get one...lol I just think he looks good naked, and i think Olie would as well.

Vega ran circles after I shaved everything off...I really think dogs enjoy being shaved down..especially in the summer.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Olie is a hot mess!

Now put some color in that topknot!! Just like Digger

ROTFL -- The pic of Olie reminds me of my Standard Poodle whenever I had to shave her she would hang her head in embarrassment. She knew she looked like a scrawny chicken and she just wanted to go hide. It was the funniest thing ever. But when she had a show cut and was adorned like she was a movie star she would prance around like she was saying, "look at me! look at me!"

Digger is so cute too!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts