Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I have a 14 and a half year old Standard Poodle. Does anyone else have an old poodle or does anyone know what the oldest standard is. I am hoping she will live alot longer. She has growths in her stomach but is acting normal in every way. thanks .

Attachments

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Mine are very young still but your girl still looks great at 14 yrs. Thats sad hearing she has growths in her stomach. I hope it doesn't slow her down any and she continues to remain well.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
the oldest one I groomed was 11 years old, I don't work there anymore though, left about 2 years ago and I don't know if he is still with us. I hope so, he as the first dog I ever attempted a continetal on :)

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
How long have you owned your 14.5 yr. old spoo? For her to look and act the way she does it is obvious she has had a good life. Hope she stays that way, until the day she is no longer with you. Glad that the growths don't seem to bother her any.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
She looks GREAT for 14 yrs old. I hope mine live that long plus and look that well also!! Obviously well loved and well cared for!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi, thanks for the replys. She was feeling sick a few weeks ago, she could not lie down or eat. She was very restless and had her tail down. I took her t0 the vet and they gave me pain meds for her. I had to feed her with a fork. She was very fussy to what she ate, so I gave whatever she wanted. I brought her back a few days after that and they took an xray and they found something in her stomach. They thought it was a foreign object. Maybe rocks? or something. They said they have never seen that before. it looked like a bunch of rocks. So they told me to come a week after that an re xray her to see if they moved at all. The xrays turned out the same. They think cancer but most stomach cancer looks like one big mass and hers was a bunch of small rock looking objects.
They said I could take her to get a scope on her stomach but she would have to put under. If she needed surgery the vet thought she would not make it and it would be very hard on her.
But now she is perfectly fine and very active and eating on her own and playing and I am now thinking of getting the scope on her.
The funny thing is I have a almost 14 year old cat who needs a growth removed from his eyelid and they are willing to do that. I wonder why.
Thanks every one.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Alex is 13....

Great looking senior you have!
Alex is showing some stiffness in the hips. It takes us a lot longer to do many of our favorite hikes, as there's a lot more sniffin going on. He's getting close to blind with cataracts, but still has a pretty good time, and everything seems to be working as it should.
Outstanding in his field!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone, I have a 14 and a half year old Standard Poodle. Does anyone else have an old poodle or does anyone know what the oldest standard is. I am hoping she will live alot longer. She has growths in her stomach but is acting normal in every way. thanks .
My standard is currently 15.6 years and going strong. She walks 2 miles a day, still begging for food. She has lost most of her sight and doesn’t move as fast as she used to but is pretty healthy overall. Does anyone know the oldest standard on record

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Such a good looking senior. I hope I age that well.

My girl is 11 years old but I'm surprised she has lived this long.She was a puppy mill rescue from a woman who was breeding her largest two dogs despite blood relation. She advertised "Royal giant poodles." I think they took a total of 45 dogs from her. Shasta was one of them but just a puppy at the time. Shasta has SA. She is 75 pound and has three large huge fatty tumors and has bad allergies. But she still can play for a bit with her younger "brothers" and loves life.

I know looking at my family tree it often is just as much to do with genetics as life style. My grandmother lived on baked goods and fried foods. She passed away last year at 101. I had two great aunts that lived past 100 regardless of how "clean" their living was. Then I would see my ex-husband's family was all dead before they hit 70. His mom died at 65. She was a pescetarian who biked across Cuba when in her late 50's recording butterflies of the country. I never knew a healthier person until the day she called saying she had cancer. I think this is true with dogs too.

I believe we all ask ourselves how long we will have our babies. But it is like when they are puppies and we wonder how big they will get. It helps to look at the parents but in the end, the answer only comes with time. I am wishing yours the longest happiest of years.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
My small standard girl made it to 15; she was only 32 pounds and 22 inches. My male turned 14 this past Christmas. He has always tested borderline for Addison's but has done fine. 320.jpg

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Oh, I should add that the sire of our five year old boys will turn 16 in May. Rumor's full title is
UKC GRCH RBCSWO Ch RO1 J-C Pioneer's Sumthin To Tk Bout CGN RE ADC ADGC.
I am hoping that our boys will have his longevity. The photo is not mine,but was posted from 2006 in Hickory NC

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts