Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Charly, a 27 year old toy poodle, was put to sleep on june 12th, after becoming very ill in just a few days.

He had a very happy life with his lifetime owner and he will be greatly missed. I can’t imagine what it’s like losing a pet after more than a quarter century with them.

Here is a picture of Charly.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
22,865 Posts
How cute was he!

Reactions: Dechi

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
Wow. That’s a good age

Reactions: Dechi

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Wow! Thank you for sharing, Dechi. Hard to believe he was born while my childhood dog was still living -- that really puts it into perspective for me.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Wow! I would love to know more of his story and what kind of lifestyle he had. It might help figure out how to improve dog's lives again. 27 is for a dog is incredible!

·
Registered
6,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow! I would love to know more of his story and what kind of lifestyle he had. It might help figure out how to improve dog's lives again. 27 is for a dog is incredible!
The article is in French and I can’t find it in English.

Here is a Google translate transcript :

In a few days, the condition of the one who bore the title of the oldest dog in Quebec had deteriorated to the point that he had lost all quality of life.

That morning, the little poodle had an appointment at the Carcajou Veterinary Hospital in Alma, which has been treating him since 2012, in order to definitively shorten his sufferings related to old age. Installed in a room designed to support bereaved families, Charly was huddled in the arms of Nicolas Thibeault, Elaine's spouse. Helene Hamilton, assisted by an animal health technician, euthanized the ten-pound puppy, which left smoothly.

To ease their pain, the couple chose to cremate their animal and have their ashes deposited in a personalized urn. Even if the costs, including the intervention, amount to more than $ 700, Élaine and Nicolas admit that this symbol will help them progress in their mourning. "I lost several loved ones in my life, but no one had been as present as Charly," says Élaine.

Four days later, the family still felt so much grief over the emptiness left by Charly. "We lost a child and my mother-in-law, who never had grandchildren, lost a grandson," said Elaine, who was unable to return to work. I've been working at Marché Bonichoix in Hébertville for just two weeks, but Martine Villeneuve, the owner, supports and understands me. She left me a few days to live my pain. "

Élaine had adopted Charly in 1993, in a pet store in her hometown. In 2012, she left Saint-Hyacinthe, with her faithful companion, to join her lover in Lac-Saint-Jean. Charly lived the last eight years of his life surrounded by Nicolas, who could always count on his mother, Josée Bergeron, to keep the exceptional little dog. For the past few months, Charly could not be left alone. Since he could no longer see, he constantly needed assistance in eating, drinking and going outside to do his business.

All three spent last weekend at their chalet remembering fond memories of Charly. "I will never forget the time when I left my native region to join Nicolas at Hébertville-Station. Nicolas had brought Charly home, while I had to finish my work day in Saint-Hyacinthe. In the evening, he called me to tell me that Charly hadn't stopped crying. It’s because he forgot his doggie, ”Elaine recalls.

After taking care of an animal for so long, the routine is difficult to rebuild. "In addition to being in confinement, my mother-in-law is grieving. We were linked, she and I, by Charly. Every day, we saw each other because she was looking after him, "reflects Élaine.

Mourning

Elaine's grief process started shortly before her dog left, when she wanted to give in to the next one. "On June 9, I put all of Charly's stuff, including her sleigh and stroller, at the end of the house entrance, taking care to put a" Donate "sign on it. After an hour, a neighbor is arrested and took Charly's things and asked to see him one last time, "said Élaine, who agreed.

"It was funny to see you pass with Charly in her stroller or sleigh." I'm going to keep doing it with my rabbits, "said her neighbor, who was moved to witness the last moments of the popular 27-year-old dog.

"It felt good to give my things and to know that they will stay on my street. I also gave her a bag of Charly coats, ”concludes Élaine.

The oldest dog

In 2018, the Quebec Association of Veterinary Physicians in Practice of Small Animals recognized the poodle, born February 14, 1993, as the oldest dog in Quebec. Charly celebrated her 27th birthday on February 14, 2020.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
The article is in French and I can’t find it in English.

Here is a Google translate transcript :

In a few days, the condition of the one who bore the title of the oldest dog in Quebec had deteriorated to the point that he had lost all quality of life.

That morning, the little poodle had an appointment at the Carcajou Veterinary Hospital in Alma, which has been treating him since 2012, in order to definitively shorten his sufferings related to old age. Installed in a room designed to support bereaved families, Charly was huddled in the arms of Nicolas Thibeault, Elaine's spouse. Helene Hamilton, assisted by an animal health technician, euthanized the ten-pound puppy, which left smoothly.

To ease their pain, the couple chose to cremate their animal and have their ashes deposited in a personalized urn. Even if the costs, including the intervention, amount to more than $ 700, Élaine and Nicolas admit that this symbol will help them progress in their mourning. "I lost several loved ones in my life, but no one had been as present as Charly," says Élaine.

Four days later, the family still felt so much grief over the emptiness left by Charly. "We lost a child and my mother-in-law, who never had grandchildren, lost a grandson," said Elaine, who was unable to return to work. I've been working at Marché Bonichoix in Hébertville for just two weeks, but Martine Villeneuve, the owner, supports and understands me. She left me a few days to live my pain. "

Élaine had adopted Charly in 1993, in a pet store in her hometown. In 2012, she left Saint-Hyacinthe, with her faithful companion, to join her lover in Lac-Saint-Jean. Charly lived the last eight years of his life surrounded by Nicolas, who could always count on his mother, Josée Bergeron, to keep the exceptional little dog. For the past few months, Charly could not be left alone. Since he could no longer see, he constantly needed assistance in eating, drinking and going outside to do his business.

All three spent last weekend at their chalet remembering fond memories of Charly. "I will never forget the time when I left my native region to join Nicolas at Hébertville-Station. Nicolas had brought Charly home, while I had to finish my work day in Saint-Hyacinthe. In the evening, he called me to tell me that Charly hadn't stopped crying. It’s because he forgot his doggie, ”Elaine recalls.

After taking care of an animal for so long, the routine is difficult to rebuild. "In addition to being in confinement, my mother-in-law is grieving. We were linked, she and I, by Charly. Every day, we saw each other because she was looking after him, "reflects Élaine.

Mourning

Elaine's grief process started shortly before her dog left, when she wanted to give in to the next one. "On June 9, I put all of Charly's stuff, including her sleigh and stroller, at the end of the house entrance, taking care to put a" Donate "sign on it. After an hour, a neighbor is arrested and took Charly's things and asked to see him one last time, "said Élaine, who agreed.

"It was funny to see you pass with Charly in her stroller or sleigh." I'm going to keep doing it with my rabbits, "said her neighbor, who was moved to witness the last moments of the popular 27-year-old dog.

"It felt good to give my things and to know that they will stay on my street. I also gave her a bag of Charly coats, ”concludes Élaine.

The oldest dog

In 2018, the Quebec Association of Veterinary Physicians in Practice of Small Animals recognized the poodle, born February 14, 1993, as the oldest dog in Quebec. Charly celebrated her 27th birthday on February 14, 2020.
Thank you, so much for this. I was tearing up while reading it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts