Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In December I had to put my best friend to sleep. Zoe was 14.5 and my constant companion. She was rescued when she was 2yrs old and lived a charmed life of a diva(which she was). I would love to adopt a retired bitch or rescue a standard who may have been returned to a breeder.
i live close to the beach, property fenced and I am now newly retired and miss my best buddy..any help/suggestions would be most appreciated. I am in CT close to NYC. My radius would be breeders in driving distance as I do not want to ship a dog by plane.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
We're sad to be meeting like this. I hope your heart heals, and that you find a new companion to help with that.

I keep these links handy for folks starting a search. For your preference of an adult, I'd say contacting any breeders which meet your preferences for health and personality is your best bet. Make a connection and let them know you're willing to wait for the right adult girl.

Not to try to sway you in any way, but DH and I were searching for a not-a-puppy girl mini after we lost our two mini girls at almost 16y and ended up with 2 almost 9wk old boy mini pups.

This link should get you to pages which direct you to folks within PCA who can help with breeder referrals for your desired area.

These are AKC registered breeders but review their websites thoroughly. Look for OFA, CHIC health testing info in the site. If not on the website, ask the breeder to provide all health testing results and links (this will be on the dam and sire fyi). In fact, do that with any breeder you make contact with. A quality breeder will not hesitate to show the health documentation.

"Poodle Breeders" Standard Poodles, Miniature Poodles, Toy Poodles Breeders Directory!
All the breeders listed here are required to do appropriate health testing in order to list on that site.

Breeders here all do appropriate health testing.

Another site with multiple breeders listed. Use the same caution.

Most of us aren't breeders and don't have poodles for the purpose of showing, they are our loving companions. We are grateful tho to the breeders who do take the time and spend the money to prove and health test their dogs so we can have our healthy and well bred pets.

There are some sub forums here where you can find discussions of breeders recommended, and some, not so much. They're listed at the top of Poodle Talk.

If you use the Search at the top of any page, use Advanced search for breeders in your area.

Contact a few breeders to introduce yourself. Even if they don't have or don't offer what you're looking for, it can be a close knit community. They may know where to refer you.

Good luck and please stay in touch. I'm sure others will drop by with some specific suggestions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We're sad to be meeting like this. I hope your heart heals, and that you find a new companion to help with that.

I keep these links handy for folks starting a search. For your preference of an adult, I'd say contacting any breeders which meet your preferences for health and personality is your best bet. Make a connection and let them know you're willing to wait for the right adult girl.

Not to try to sway you in any way, but DH and I were searching for a not-a-puppy girl mini after we lost our two mini girls at almost 16y and ended up with 2 almost 9wk old boy mini pups.

This link should get you to pages which direct you to folks within PCA who can help with breeder referrals for your desired area.

These are AKC registered breeders but review their websites thoroughly. Look for OFA, CHIC health testing info in the site. If not on the website, ask the breeder to provide all health testing results and links (this will be on the dam and sire fyi). In fact, do that with any breeder you make contact with. A quality breeder will not hesitate to show the health documentation.

"Poodle Breeders" Standard Poodles, Miniature Poodles, Toy Poodles Breeders Directory!
All the breeders listed here are required to do appropriate health testing in order to list on that site.

Breeders here all do appropriate health testing.

Another site with multiple breeders listed. Use the same caution.

Most of us aren't breeders and don't have poodles for the purpose of showing, they are our loving companions. We are grateful tho to the breeders who do take the time and spend the money to prove and health test their dogs so we can have our healthy and well bred pets.

There are some sub forums here where you can find discussions of breeders recommended, and some, not so much. They're listed at the top of Poodle Talk.

If you use the Search at the top of any page, use Advanced search for breeders in your area.

Contact a few breeders to introduce yourself. Even if they don't have or don't offer what you're looking for, it can be a close knit community. They may know where to refer you.

Good luck and please stay in touch. I'm sure others will drop by with some specific suggestions.
Thank you so much for the detailed reply on resources...I have contacted several breeders in CT/NY but will continue armed with your valuable details

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Stay in touch, let us know how your search is going, please.

·
Registered
397 Posts
In December I had to put my best friend to sleep. Zoe was 14.5 and my constant companion. She was rescued when she was 2yrs old and lived a charmed life of a diva(which she was). I would love to adopt a retired bitch or rescue a standard who may have been returned to a breeder.
i live close to the beach, property fenced and I am now newly retired and miss my best buddy..any help/suggestions would be most appreciated. I am in CT close to NYC. My radius would be breeders in driving distance as I do not want to ship a dog by plane.
If you are on Facebook, request to join the group "Standard Poodle Rescues and Rehomes", I know many people have found Standards of all ages through it.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you are on Facebook, request to join the group "Standard Poodle Rescues and Rehomes", I know many people have found Standards of all ages through it.....
Thanks...but I am no longer on Facebook. I understand your point though...just am limiting my data to be compromised further by this social media outlet

1 - 11 of 11 Posts