Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My standard poodle "Polly" is 13 years old and her back legs have gone weak over the last few months. I have heard its common with bigger dogs. Is there anything a vet can do? Thanks

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I am not sure what the vet can do, but it might be a good idea to have your vet take a look at her and give an opinion. Have you started her on glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM supplment yet??? If not, it's a good place to start and won't hurt your dog.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
IHave you started her on glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM supplment yet??? I
No just feed her canned food with mixers, will look into the supplments thanks. I've only had her for the last 3 years, she's a great dog full of life and still acts like a pup! just struggling with her legs. Is 13 very old for a standard poodle? thanks

·
Registered
149 Posts
The best thing I've found for senior dogs before the vet gives medications is Synovi G3. It's got the glucosamine & other antioxidents. I had Lance on it for a couple of his last years (17 when we said goodby) & it really helped his arthritis & overall health. I talked a friend of mine who had a corgi, who had been in a cart for a number of years, into using it too. After a couple weeks my friend tickled the corgi's back feet & they flinched. He said it was the first movement he'd seen in a couple years. I'd recommend the Synovi for all seniors. Also, it's way cheaper to get online. my vet wanted $73 for it. I found it online for $35 shipped. All the best to you and your girls. I hope everything goes easy for you both.

·
Registered
646 Posts
My guys are only 1 and are my first poodles but I know that my mastiff I used the liquid glucosamin from walmart and it made a heck of a difference for him.
They say that the foods only have mininal amounts in and not enough to make a difference. Not sure so I gave more with this liquid but that stuff that Kamalot talks of sounds interesting.
$35 isn't bad if it works. Can try it for a few weeks and see if it helps

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'm going through about the same thing right now with my toy. My vet didn't recomment anything but to assist him on the couch and up and down when he jumps. Which is hard cause to know when to watch for him to jump....I know he hurts sometimes and I have no idea what to do. I have read about the glucosamine but haven't tried it yet. I'll probly pick some up when I go to town. Thank goodness for the most part he is on the couch watching out the window.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Mandy - Lance had been on a multi & a glucosamine suppliment when a friend of mine gave me what he had left from his American Eskimo. I took all 3 to my vet & asked which was better & was told that the Synovi G3 was the better product. Had everything he needed & more of the glucosamine than the suppliment I was using. I know that when my girls hit 5-6yo I'll be putting them on it as a preventative.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts