Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you could never have a poodle again, what type of dog would you have?

Okay hopefully this isn't too Taboo. But just a fun getting to know about each other kind of thread.

Personally as long as Zachary is alive I will not have another poodle (I have a 1 poodle at a time policy, thats all I can handle when it comes to poodles) but one day I would like to have a Standard.

Anyways so if there were no more poodles in this world, what type of dog would you have.

Me I am partial to many breeds, but at the end of day I probably would go with a good Southern Yellow Mutt.

But other breeds I might consider: APBT (though if the poodle no longer exists I imagine the APBT went away long before), Siberian Husky, Doberman, Alaskan Klee Kai, NSDTR (nova scotia duck Tolling retriver).

Anyways what would you consider?

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Hmmm. I would have a doberman. Standards and dobermans are actually pretty close in temperament so ive heard by people that have both. Lots of the same personality traits. I actually want one anyways in the future.

Breeds on my someday list anyways are: Dogo Argentino, Irish Wolfhound, ACD, Vizsla.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I would have a lagotto romagnolo. Of course it is an italian breed and a rare dog, so it is expensive to purchase. I love my Gorky so much that wouldn't happen.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
This is a tough one, I was joking this morning that I was ready for a third poodle....NOT! Any dogs are on hold for me.

But if ever a breed(s) AND we didn't have some alergie issues at home this might be my list -

Doberman
A Golden - But oh the hair....
I seen Arreaus Wippet this morning, what a sweetie, I live them too.
APBT
German Sheppard
Samoyed - I had a mixed and it was a nightmare - so I would be willing to look at this again, in a perfect world ;)

·
Registered
681 Posts
I love my mutt. She is just about perfect temperament-wise and the sweetest little (well 55 lb) shadow I could ever ask for. If she didn't shed, that would be awesome (kids have allergies).

But in order of preference
Cavalier King Charles
Soft-Coated Wheaten Terrier
Golden Retriever
Boxer

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
This is a tough one, I was joking this morning that I was ready for a third poodle....NOT! Any dogs are on hold for me.

But if ever a breed(s) AND we didn't have some alergie issues at home this might be my list -

Doberman
A Golden - But oh the hair....
I seen Arreaus Wippet this morning, what a sweetie, I live them too.
APBT
German Sheppard
Samoyed - I had a mixed and it was a nightmare - so I would be willing to look at this again, in a perfect world ;)
The Whippets shed, but you only notice it if you wear black or dark brown. LOL...when we are travelling with them in the car, I decide what to wear based on them being with us. It is very short, so you don't get tumbleweeds like with the Samoyeds and Goldens.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I dont want to imagine that but if the Poodle went extinct i would settle for a Doberman or a Bull Mastiff. I am also VERY partial to longhaired Chihuahuas. I hope gracie will live another 5 years at least and after she is gone i dont know if i can live without a little love bug around the house. If i could have another Chi with her exact temperment i would gurantee that i would ALWAYS have one in the house.
You guys might flame me for this but i have met and groomed a few SUPER SWEET Labradoodles. But if Poodles are gone then the poodle mixes/ designer breeds must be too....

Oh and i must say that most of my dogs that i get i rescue/ inherite them lol...might be the only way i would take a Labradoodle. Wouldnt pay $2000 for a mutt lol.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
If there were no poodles (scary thought), I would get a Black Russian Terrier and for a small dog I would just keep a Havanese.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hands down I would have another Belgian Tervuren. I love coated breeds, but don't miss the dog hair!!! Lots of focus and really bond to one person. But I will say that Grace makes my Terv (RIP) look like a couch potatoe!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Well I never really thought I would have a poodle but am so enjoying this guy that I would proably have another at some point..but would also have to stick with my Cavaliers..and as much as I love my lab as I get older and go to more agility and obedience shows it is easier to travel and deal with the small dogs

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I love my cav, but I'd never get another one.

I think we'd go for a rough coat english cocker (hubby had two english cockers before he moved over here from the UK to marry me), and they are sweet dogs.

If I could tolerate the shedding, I'd get a border collie without a doubt.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Mmm... I love Salukis, and Whippets, and Greyhounds... Any sighthound really.

What's an APBT?

Bull Terrier?

I'm sure, once someone tells me, I'll be like: Oh, yeah! Duh! LOL! :doh:

·
Registered
243 Posts
Well I want to learn how to do my own grooming because I really want another standard poodle in the near future (probably in about a year).
Now if there were no such thing as a poodle(that would be the only way I wouldn't have one) then I would have a.............pit bull......yeah I said pit bull. I have probably been watching to much Ceasar Milan but there is just something about them. Also my dog trainer has pit bulls, really smart and very friendly dogs.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mmm... I love Salukis, and Whippets, and Greyhounds... Any sighthound really.

What's an APBT?

Bull Terrier?

I'm sure, once someone tells me, I'll be like: Oh, yeah! Duh! LOL! :doh:
American Pit Bull Terrier

1 - 20 of 39 Posts