·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
T's first major mum's haircut :smile: You all promise not to laugh

Before

After rough cut, bath and fluff

And the finished product

It's not great but he is shorter for the summer and as they say it'll grow back and with practice I'll get better.

His topknot is way too flat, it looks worse in the pic than in real life but still not great. I didn't blend it very well into his body coat to begin with so once I went back and fixed that he didn't have much topknot left!

I have made him into a square - no sloping lines. Thought it was going well with the shaping until I put him on the ground and realised there was no tuck up and no gradual slope from his topknot to tail. I used a 1 inch snap on comb and thought this would give me something to play with around his chest and I could then use a shorter blade to get the slope down to his tail but there just wasn't enough hair left to make it look any good.

Never mind poor baby, I love him and it's not his fault he has a useless mum LOL!

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Pfft, I think he looks great after his grooming job, so no laughing
here! :tongue:

He looks like a bear in that second picture though! :)

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Oh wow BF, he looks fantastic. You sound like me, a perfectionist and never happy till they turn out how you imagined in your head.

Listen darls, he looks beautiful. Trust our eyes :)

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for the vote of confidence. Yes he didn't turn out like the pic I was copying from the "Poodle Bible" :biggrin: but maybe after 20 years of grooming I will be able to turn out a poo looking like that.

I love him looking like a little bear but with a bit more shape, hopefully after the summer when I grow him back I can get a shaped bear :rofl:

·
Registered
478 Posts
I think you did a great job. How long did it take you? So did you use clippers all over? (I'm very new to this so I'm a little slow) If so - please say again what size you used?
He is probably really happy to be cooler since it is summer there.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Thanks guys for the vote of confidence. Yes he didn't turn out like the pic I was copying from the "Poodle Bible" :biggrin: but maybe after 20 years of grooming I will be able to turn out a poo looking like that.

I love him looking like a little bear but with a bit more shape, hopefully after the summer when I grow him back I can get a shaped bear :rofl:
He looks great. You havnt been doing poodles long and you should be patting yourself on the back. You are a natural, and with time, and by looking at it you wont need much more practice, you will do what you are achieving. :whoo:

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think you did a great job. How long did it take you? So did you use clippers all over? (I'm very new to this so I'm a little slow) If so - please say again what size you used?
He is probably really happy to be cooler since it is summer there.

Took a little over an hour to brush, bath and dry
Then another 1 - 11/2 hrs to clip and scissor and I didn't do f,f & t in that. I spent a lot of time looking and then finding sticky out bits and trying to get his legs even.

I used just about everything in my grooming kit :rofl:
His body and legs I started with a 1 inch snap on comb over a #30 blade and then I swapped to a 1/2 inch snap on comb and tried to shorted his rear and blend it up into the 1 inch fur. I used the cordless on #15 to tidy up his tummy. Used thinning scissors to blend between his topknot and body. Both straight and curved scissors on legs and topknot.

·
Registered
554 Posts
He looks great, good for you! I agree with everyone...you are your worst critic! He looks very happy in his new hair cut and I think you should be happy for him! Don't be so hard on yourself, he looks really good!

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I think you did a great job! I wish I could do as well. The legs are the hardest for me especially with Ginger cause she keeps pulling her foot away. She doesn't like anyone to touch the feet! lol The face is hard for me also. what size blade for the face? Thanks

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I actually didn't clip his face cause he had been such a good boy for so long I figured he didn't need another half hour to 45 mins on the grooming table for f,f, & t. But I did him with a #40 last Sunday so that's 5 days worth of growth. I think I will go back to the #30 though. The #40 looks better a few days later than the #30 but the #30 looks good pretty much straight away.

He has been really sooky since Friday when I cut him back and as Murphy's Law would have it it has been quite cold here since he has less coat. So much for the hot summer!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts