Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. I'm switching my boy to something besides Eukanuba Puppy. Just wondering about thoughts on "All Life Stages" Food (like Taste of the Wild) as oppose to 'Large Breed Puppy" or just "Puppy" Food.

2. I know I said his name was Rune, but my hubby likes Glader. (A dragon name from his favorite books)
I'm on the fence.

Thoughts...Thanks in advance!!!:)

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
1) TOTW much better choice! :)

2) I personally love the name you gave him Rune, it's sophisticated- but name him whatever suits your new boy.

BTW - he is adorable.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
1) Agreed, TOTW a great choice. And I'm not only saying that because it's what my pup is currently eating and will be eating once he comes home (before he most likely goes to raw). :)

2) I also prefer Rune, but hey, it's whatever suits you guys and your pup!

·
Registered
575 Posts
So, if he's a S'poo puppy, you need to be aware that large breed puppies need slower growth and feeding a regular puppy food or some of the grain-free's can lead to faster growth and excess calcium/phosphorus. Large breed puppies can develop a condition called panosteitis and can lead to lameness.

While there is still unknown's with this condition, dietary cause's are suspected as one contributing factor. It's important to realize that many of the higher protien foods also contain higher calcium and phosphorus, calories, etc which can lead to excessive or rapid growth.

For a large breed puppy up to one year of age, I would recommend (if you can't feed raw/fresh) a quality large breed puppy food or a regular adult food. Some good choices are Innova (comes in LBP or adult), Eagle Pack Holistic, Canidae, etc. I'm not a fan of any of the Diamond foods because of the quality of the raw ingredients the use and the fact that they source many of their ingredients from overseas. The GA might look good, but it says nothing about the overall quality of the ingredients or the digestibility.

Once your puppy reaches a good part of it's actual growth (height wise) you can start feeding a GOOD grain free (I'm a believer in EVO).

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Cameo that is exactly what I needed to know. I feed all my dogs TOW but was curious about the effect of all life stages on large breed puppies.

And thanks everyone for your feed back. I think we are sticking with Rune. Hubby wants Glader so he can get a girl someday and name her Sepheria (more dragons):rolffleyes:...but it just doesn't fit him.:)

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I like Rune 1000 times better LMAO - it is unusual name and also very masculine IMO. I would keep it LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts