So one of my high school friends, one of my best
friends to be exact, has been staying with my husband
and I at our home for a week or so now. She is 18 and
got into a fight with her Dad and felt the need to get away
and was hinting at she had no place to go so we offered
to let her stay with us...being the good person that I am
I don't want any of my friends sleeping in their car or
in this predicament like my husband was at one time when
his mom literally kicked him out at 18 with NOWHERE to go.

Let me just state this girl comes from a wealthy family,
her Dad is a friggin eye surgeon and they live in a beautiful
homeand she's basically had everything she's ever wanted.
She also has a JOB!

So let me just ask you guys something...
is it wrong for me to get angry she is mooching off
my husband and I? My husband and I are both unemplyed
for the time being...she's been eating our food we get on our
food stamp card and WIC I get off of being pregnant. Her ex
boyfriend and her are still close and she thinks she can just invite
him over anytime and turn our house into a hangout. When her
or her ex enter or leave the house, they leave the front door wide
ass open saying "Come Rob Here!"She leaves the light on in her
room she is staying in on constantly and I have to turn it off. Both
her and her ex get annoyed at my dogs and tells Scooter to shut
up constantly because he barks at them..which I can't stand! ETC,
ETC, ETC!!

I am going to be strong and say something today. She is
supposed to be getting this form from the college today she
attends to get a student loan to live on campus IF her dad
will sign it...if he doesn't I'm going to be tempted to call him
and tell him a thing or two! She's going to have to go...my
baby shower is coming up and I need the baby's room she is
staying in to put the gifts and big presents I recieve.

I feel kinda bad at the same time for thinking ill thoughts since
she is having a hard time right now, I attend church and calm
down knowing I am a good person helping a friend in their time
of need, but then I get ****ed off all again when I get home and
she/they pull their crap. My husband and I can't even be alone
together it seems. Something has to change. :banghead:

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I would say something. Even if you don't mention anything about what's bothering you...just say you can't offer her a place any longer. You shouldn't feel bad about wanting her out now. You helped her and now she can leave. lol

Im not very patient about things like that either. I wouldn't let anyone move in my house unless it was a horrible situation. Shoot I stress when my mother n law visits from New York for three days. I can't wait for her to leave honestly....I want my privacy. I don't even want my own mom over for more then a few hrs. god forbid she had to stay over...oh dear that would be bad.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Well, something must be said. This:

"Both her and her ex get annoyed at my dogs and tells Scooter to shut
up constantly because he barks at them..which I can't stand! ETC,
ETC, ETC!!" Oh hell no.
I've been in your shoes before, and when having a mooch in my home, it always ended on a sour note, escpially because we ladies bottle stuff up until we blow.

If you want it to work out vs blow up, there are options.

A) First, sorry but hubby and I cannot afford to have you here, times are very tough for us financially and so it's time you went back to your dad's.

Or B) Thanks for being such a good friend, you know I love you and care about you, living with other people is never easy, so let's work together to make this easier. As you know we are both unemployed, money is tight and we are even on government assistance to purchase food, this is REALLY stressful for us, even more so now that we have been financially supporting you. If you want to stay here, you will need to help us with $100 a week in rent to cover utility bills and food. We also don't want you yelling at our dogs, they are like our babies and it gets me pretty upset. We are very stressed out right now and don't want the added extra company, so we would request that you don't invite people over. Hope you don't take offense, just trying to work out a system where we can keep things positive and make it all work. :)

Good luck, and if you need to rant, feel free to rant here.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Really! she should be grateful you put a rood over her head. If she has a job she certainly can help with some rent or find herself another place to live. I agree with Gigit - her boyfriend shouldnt visit. This is a temporary thing so she can just be grateful she has a place to sleep and not act like its her new home.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Bugger I hate people like that...

I would be saying to her a week is OK but after that she needs to start paying board ie $50-70/week and paying for part of the bills.

As for the dogs its your home, your dogs and if they can't take it boot them out... I live with my parents for a while (end of 2007, begining 2008) and my father hates dogs barking, and it was stressing me and my fiance out very much so she moved out and took one of the dogs with her back and I moved out again a month later.

Honestly Mercymoon i would be putting my foot down as it is your house and not hers.. :)

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Friends like that, who needs enemies. Tell her to put up and shut up or bugger off. Everything right now should go 3 ways. All paying equal amounts, food, rent, electricity, gas, water, telephone etc.

I had ppl do that to me a long time ago, lived and learnt and never again. Im with my daughter only, she moochs off me only cause she is suicidal. ONly money coming in for me and she lives off that. If I tossed her out, she would be dead so I will suffer this for my daughter but not a friend.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts